5.0 out of 5 stars One of Dodd's Best, 18 Oct. 2002
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Beautiful, seductive Ian Fairchild is a man with fey powers and ancient secrets of the Isles. He desperately wants Fionnaway Manor- the estate that should be his, but his father has decreed he must Marry in order to claim his birthright. Alanna is the woman he must marry. She is drawn to his beauty, but mistrusts his reasons for wanting to marry her, knowing he grains the estate through their marriage. Even so, he cannot resist his fey beauty and falls in love with him. However, there are others who wish the marriage to find doom, and as Alanna is drawn deeper into Ian's love, she finds he is not quite human.
A wonderful tale of Scottish lore, delivered by a deft hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical fabulous mystery love story, 18 July 1998
By A Customer
#1. The name of this book should be "The Stones of Fionnaway". If I had not read all of Christina Dodd's other books I would not have been encouraged to buy this one from the title and information on the back. I have read this book 3 times and told the entire story to my manicurist and my neice.
It is the story of the "Stones of Fionnaway" and the pact between the selkies and the McCleods to forever ensure the continuance of both. Along the way is the marvelous love story of Ian Fairchild, the half selkie, born with a little magic, and Alanna McCleod, who must give her all to see that the pact between the selkies and the mcCleods continue. The way they get together and the ending made me cry and cry I did everytime I read it. I loved it. Christina choose your own titles from now on!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful storyteller, 28 Jan. 1998
By A Customer
In 1800 Scotland, Ian Fairchild desperately seeks a place that he can call home. His first choice is his ancestral birthplace, Fionnaway Manor, an estate owned by Lady Alanna McLeod, a reported witch. Ian decides that the only way he can regain his family estate that his wastrel father lost, is to marry Alanna.
When Ian arrives at the manor, Alanna immediately suspects that he plans to unseat her from the manor even if he has to marry her to do so. As he sets out to master her body and soul, she uses unknown forces to try to frighten him away. Neither expected to fall in love with the other, but their capricious hearts do. However, Alanna doubts that a Fairchild, even one allegedly in love, can actually play fair.
No one brings alive the historical Scotland better than the incomparable Christina Dodd. Her latest historical romance is a thrilling character driven piece, starring two awesome lead protagonists who will be fan favorites. Any skeptic who doubts the existence of witchcraft needs to read A WELL FAVORED GENTLEMAN to know the bewitching story telling power of Ms. Dodd.
Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful!, 18 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
This book gives me the chills, I love it! Ian Fairchild, lost and lonely, has magical abilities to look into a person's true emotions and personality. His mother is a selkie. Alanna is the long-lost heir to Fionnaway, back to regain her inheritance. Thus began a cat-and-mouse game to gain control of the land. The sexual tension between these two is absolutely scorching, and believe me, the pages burn. Ian is lovingly detailed by Ms Dodd - he is a lonely man finally finding a place where he belongs, if only he can get Alanna to be his. Alanna is less vividly-drawn, but she is a woman of strong will, if afraid of Ian's searing passion.
Add to this mix a lovely young woman who is Ian's half-sister Wilda and her touching quest for "goodness", a truly evil man, and the magic of the selkies, you get a truly special book.
And the climax is truly breathtaking when Ian finally proves his love for Alanna... I shed a few tears and hugged everyone in my house, even the dog, after reading it.
Closing the book, I shut my eyes and could almost hear the crash of waves...

5.0 out of 5 stars A FABULOUS BOOK!!!!, 24 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
I read a lot of historical romances, and A Well Favored Gentleman is going straight onto my keeper shelf. I loved the humor! The love scenes! The hero, Ian, is so fascinating and different...but I don't want to give away his secret. :) And the heroine, Alanna, is delightfully spirited. I'll definitely recommend this book to all my friends. Christina Dodd is an author whose books I'll always buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read that I'll pick up again and again!, 10 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
A terrific book that combines Ms. Dodd's fabulous heros and hot sex with an amazing legend. This is one of those books I read in an afternoon when I'd promised myself I was only going to read a couple of chapters. She is one author I never miss. I've given dozens of copies to friends and they agree that it's a wonderful story.

4.0 out of 5 stars This was the first time I read Christina Dodd, I'm hooked!, 17 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
Christina Dodd's A Well Favored Gentleman, was well written, had a good plot, and rich characters. The love scenes were very sensual and riveting! I can hardly wait to read A Well Pleasured Lady!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, witty read., 10 April 1998
By A Customer
Well told, humorous but intense love story with a hint of mystery and suspense. A very fast read and I am now back tracking and reading Dodd's other related book, A Well Pleasured Lady.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy Read!, 9 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I thoroughly enjoyed Ian's control of Alanna's dreams to complete his intimate torture! I wish someone would invade my dreams that way! While the mystic stones and sea creatures might be hard for some to swallow, I found it harder to believe that Alanna could hide herself as the village witch for years, but I didn't let that stop me from enjoying this romance that had a splendid ending that left me crying.

A Well Favored Gentleman
A Well Favored Gentleman by Christina Dodd (Hardcover - 1 Jan. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.56