5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the lot.
Due to the success of the Spanish national team and the exploits of arguably the world's two biggest clubs, there have been many books about Spanish football. Sid Lowe's book tops the lot and stands head and shoulders above the rest. But this is far more than just a book about football.....

Football takes a back seat for the first 80 pages, Spain's politics...
Published 18 months ago by godzilla78

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
Can't fault the depth of research that has gone into the book, but if you're reading it for the 'football' side of the rivalry you might find the historical and political context drags on a bit when it's setting the scene. I understand it's an essential part of the story, but I enjoyed this book more once it moved on from that and started telling the story of the rivalry...
Published 6 months ago by GF

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the lot., 11 Oct. 2013
godzilla78 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Football takes a back seat for the first 80 pages, Spain's politics and modern history played a huge role in the identities of both Madrid and Barcelona. This cannot be understated and Lowe does a fantastic job of setting the scene. It was impossible to keep sport and politics apart, both had a major bearing on the dna of these great rivals. Whilst some of the work will be familiar to other books on the same subject, the book has a stronger understanding of the far-reaching influence the clubs possess. Chapter by chapter the history of their rivalry is built (even manufactured at times) and is even-handed in both praise and criticism. Thankully it's only the last few chapters that deal with the current teams, personally I'm rather tired of the question - who is better, Messi or Ronaldo? The book manages to avoid wasting paper gushing over the both of them. No matter how good individuals are, the book illustrates that the club will always be bigger, and rightly so. Personally I found the book contained some wonderful stories and tales especially from Michael Laudrup, Louis Van Gaal and Pedrag Mijatovic. Probably the only criticism I found was that the Bobby Robson era at Barca was largly ignored bar a brief mention.

At over 400 pages you will devour this pretty quickly and by the end will still want more. There are some fine books about the recent Spanish footballing glory but this one is the best. Sid Lowe shows he has more in his locker beyond football.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long distance relationship, 25 May 2014
I am a filipina from the Philippines and my fiance is currently living in UK who is also a British. My fiance is a very sports enthusiast especially in football. In the Philippines, basketball is the most popular sports, even so, I am not a very sports person so I am not good in conversing with my fiance about sports, about football. I am trying to learn it but it's hard and I want my fiance to know that I still love listening to his sports stories even if I do not have any idea at all. I never wanted my fiance to think that I am not interested with sports, and I know that every thing about sports will make him happy. Recently I have been seeing his tweets about Atletico Madrd and Barcelona and all about La liga stuff in Spain, so I searched and I found this book. I know that he will really love it, I didn't hesistate to purchase it and it was delivered to perfectly within estimated date. My fiance opened the package the day of our anniversary and posted on facebook how happy he is, telling his facebook peeps that he has the best woman ever. I asked him how it was and he loves the content as it also includes history :) I am so happy that he loves it.

If your partner is a sports enthusiast, I would defo recommend it!!! Great book, good content and very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've ever read on Spanish football., 13 Nov. 2013
R. P. Lowe - See all my reviews
This is a truly wonderful book that is beautifully written, meticulously researched and benefits from interviews with a vast number of relevant people : players, coaches, directors, physios and even a cemetery caretaker.
But it's not just about football : it puts these two huge clubs in the context of Spanish history, society , culture and politics and in doing so exposes the myths about the Barca Madrid rivalry as well as uncovering the reality of their interdependent stories.
Read it, enjoy the often hilarious inside stories, and understand a hugely important component of Spain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A more complicated history than the clubs portray, 21 Oct. 2013
Michael (WILMSLOW, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Interesting history of the rivalry & how it is interwoven with Spanish and Catalan culture and aspirations. Add to this the love of great football & precious interviews ;Cruyff & Di-Steafano in particular. Enjoyed immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 10 Oct. 2013
I read this in less than a week. Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Entertaining and informative. It never shies away from the more complex issues that surround the rivalry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from the first page!, 14 Dec. 2013
C. I. Wright "Chris Wright" (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
Football, sociology, history, politics and economics all distilled into a potent cocktail. Using an academic's eye and a journalist's eye for detail and prose Sid Lowe has written a classic. This and Phil Ball 's 'Morbo' are collectors items.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 13 Nov. 2013
Robert Bamber - See all my reviews
Fantastic read from Sid Lowe tracing the history of the Real Madrid/Barcelona rivalry from its roots to the modern day. A long read, but you'll be rewarded as the story goes on, without question. The detail about some of the key names, Kubala, Di Stefano and others is excellent (although I had a small gripe about the proportion of the book that was taken up by Di Stefano compared with Ferenc Puskas - but I'll let him off that one).

All in all this is a great, great analysis to anyone who wants a thorough backstory into this great rivalry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 22 Nov. 2013
Fantastic reading this from Sid Lowe, having read every book of his, knew this wouldn't fail. Simply amazing and will make a fantastic present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who ya gonna call, Mythbusters...., 19 Mar. 2015
I lived in Barcelona for nearly 10 years and was an enthusiastic supporter of FCB my entire time in the city.

I won't lie, I was swept up in the "romance" surrounding the club and my 10 years there were probably the period that will be looked back at by historians as a Golden Era. My knowledge of FCB history had come from books and articles written from a FCB perspective and I was given the rose tinted history from the locals.

Don't get me wrong FCB have had their troubles and many of the "truths"they hold dear are indeed that. However....

This book reveals the fuller picture of many incidents in the histories of both clubs. Many myths are, if not destroyed, put in context that paints aspects of each club's history in a slightly different light.

Don't misunderstand me, this is not going to turn any Madridistas into Cules or vice versa but as a balanced, well researched and well written history of the rivalry it is pretty much the definitive work.

If you follow Spanish football I suggest you get on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellently written history of an historic rivalry, 20 Nov. 2014
I have always enjoyed Sid Lowe's excellent Spanish articles on Spanish football, and he doesn't disappoint with this book.

It is thoroughly well researched, and beautifully crafted. Lowe also busts a lot of myths, and put the clubs rivalry in context. The historical aspect, particularly around the Spanish Civil War and Franco's dictatorship, was fascinating, and helped shaped these clubs politically.

The ending of the book felt a little more rushed, and I would have liked to read a little into Lowe's insight of present day Real and Barca. However, there is a lot of that material out there, and the book was very long as it is.

Overall, a wonderfully researched book, beautifully thought out and crafted. It is a rarity that a book about these two football giants does not contain some bias- but Lowe avoids this expertly, and presents the history of both clubs equally, impartially, and passionately.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona Vs Real Madrid
Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona Vs Real Madrid by Sid, PH.D . Lowe (Paperback - 8 April 2014)
Used & New from: £8.98