5.0 out of 5 stars Nature of an original
There are only a few voices in sci-fi who continuously stun everyone. At least me. Scott Westerfeld is one of those very few who keeps amazing, now with his third novel. Again he draws out a unique universe, pictures simple, yet great characters and unfolds a compelleng, yet mystifyingly simple narrative.
Imagine a world in which evolution is measured by the...
Published on 13 April 2000 by Cees Jan Mol

3.0 out of 5 stars Scott Westerfeld for grownups!
Published on 5 Oct 2010 by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars Nature of an original, 13 April 2000
Cees Jan Mol (Eindhoven, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution's Darling (Paperback)
Imagine a world in which evolution is measured by the progress of being 'sentient', no longer by being 'human'. Imagine a world in which artificial intelligence is no longer artificial at all and constructed intelligences can learn, and grow, and evolve and become recognised for the great minds that they are. Imagine one such mind, lost for love, living off an economy inflating the prize of originals, running into a lovely asassin who does not have all that much human in her any more.
If that appeals to you, dive into this world and let Scott's voice point out to you the power of the nature of an original.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cyber Sex , Art Criticism and the Persistance of Memory, 5 Aug 2001
This review is from: Evolution's Darling (Paperback)
This book was certainly more then I bargained for. It weaves together an enormous amount of ideas and concepts in a rather allegorical narrative. Although compelling, original & definitely worth a read- I'm not sure whether Westerfield actually succeeds in what he is attempting to do here.
Darling is an 'artificial'. This means he is a sentient cybernetic. He exists in a world where artificial's rights of personhood are the norm. He is also an art expert dealing only in 'originals'. He teams up with a mysterious assassin to track down the mysterious sculptor. Along the poetic way they have the most bizarre sex I have ever come across (and that's pretty bizarre) and help eachother define their own understanding of what it means to be a person.
Written in a quirky and somewhat disjointed manner, the author also manages to debate the nature of the unity of identity and conscienceless.
I liked the characterisations of Darling and Mira (the assassin) and I particularly like the characterisation of the ships. However- I thought that too often the author gave a tantalising picture of something only to leave the concept not explored fully. This is probably because there is more then one story in this rather complicated book and it is a mark of Westerfield's talent that he draws you in so far.
I have a feeling that this is not his best yet and that he (westerfield) has bigger and better things in store for us. However if you want a mind bending space oddessy with some rather fantastic kinky sex and kinkier philosophy- then take a stroll through this book. Entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Scott Westerfeld for grownups!, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: Evolution's Darling (Paperback)
Here's an AI book that's quick and straightforward enough for us all to enjoy. For his adult readers, Westerfeld ups the reading level, cuts the exposition, and adds lots of sex. As a fan of "Uglies" I thought all those things would make me just love this book more, but it actually clunked a little for me. I had to re-read bits of the beginning because I was expecting to be hit over the head with all the new conceptual stuff a few more times than I got. The sex actually detracted from the story; there wasn't a whole lot of chemistry, and the kink fell flat somehow. It took me almost a week to read this, which is about six days longer than any YA book from Westerfeld. However, the plot was crackly enough, and the book's concept of soul and memory was intriguing

5.0 out of 5 stars Drew me in from the start!, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Evolution's Darling (Paperback)
Loved this book! Finished it last night and, as with all sci fi that's good, I feel at little lost as I'm not delving into that world anymore. I'm a Westerfeld fan and this did not disappoint. Great concepts, fab writing, and some very interesting quirks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly a 5, 17 Jan 2001
This review is from: Evolution's Darling (Paperback)
Westerfield's writing style is awkward, at first, but once you get used to it you'll find it's a brilliant, if very warped book. Nearly a five star rating except for some parts if the book are actually a little disturbing..!

Evolution's Darling
Evolution's Darling by Scott Westerfeld (Paperback - 14 Mar 2000)
Used & New from: 9.80