Top critical review
11 people found this helpful
on 1 August 2011
One's work should be compared to everything one has achieved so far. We ordered this book for our dojo to compare it with Kanazawa's first Kata book (actually one book but published in two parts).
The biggest problem with this book is that the transitions between the steps/stances are not shown correctly. In his previous book Kanazawa paid great attention to these transitions. This is very bad for beginners. They may know how a Kokucu-Dachi and Senkucu-Dachi look like, but the difficulty lies in combining the moves correctly. The images in the book show the beginning of the transitions and not the middle and thus important part of them. It is clear that it can't be as detailed as a video, but this was shown much better in Kanazawa's earlier kata books.
* All Shotokan katas in one book
* The technical analysis / interpretation (Bunkai) of the moves is longer than in the previous books of Kanazawa
* Not all katas are performed by Kanazawa himself
* Images are quite small (they were bigger in the previous books of Kanazawa)
* Images with the transitions between the moves are poorly done (there is text below the images trying to fix this, but an image says more than a thousand words)
* Names of moves not below the image it belongs to (was better in previous book). You have to look up numbers like 19, 19-A, 19-A (rear view)...
* Nothing new in the text part. The history of the katas for example are copied from the previous books.
* We found some errors in the text below the images. The names of the moves are not always correct in the kata Jion for example. (Image 36-A is not a Nagashi-Uke)
* Deteriorated Style: As Kanazawa got older his style clearly deteriorated. His moves are not looking as good as they were in his previous books.
This is a book by Kanazawa the master of kata. It's not possible to perform a kata totally perfect, but when someone is doing a book on kata, he should look at every image and try to make it perfect. Unfortunately, this has not happened here.
We suggest that you get Kanazawa's earlier kata books.