5.0 out of 5 stars 'A superb biography of Gichin Funakoshi'
This book is a super biography of today's master of Karate, Gichin Funakoshi. Even since his death in 1957 he has helped Karate to be exported throughout the world. It makes for a VERY interesting read. A must for those interested in not just the combat of Karate, but the Spiritual side of it too.
Published on 8 Dec 2001 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars Karate Do My Way Of Life.
An OK read, I was interestred in finding out about this man
and his life.
It was informative, but a little tedious in places.
Published on 7 April 2010 by Greg Desmond

5.0 out of 5 stars "My Way of Life" improves your Karate-Do skills!, 17 Nov 2011
Everybody can make kicks or punches and to think, wrongly, that is training Karate-Do... If you grasp the true spirit of Karate-Do explained in this text written by the Master Gichin Funakoshi, your tecnhique will be more beautiful, strong and effective, not only to you but to other partners. It's a must...

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read!, 3 Oct 2011
Mr. J. Rodwell (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
Being someone that does karate, this book has most certainly supplemented my practising, as it's given me a level of understanding behind the moves that I am doing and has allowed me to develop in character, but not just for my training, but for myself as an individual.

Most definitely a must-read for those that are studying karate, but then again I think that those that are just wanting to read this book, I certainly recommend it to as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oss Sensei, 1 Aug 2011
Ashdon MCFALL "THe AshMaN" (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliantly written and a wonderful insight into Funakoshi Sensei's life.

Started reading and could not put it down, dozens of fantastic stories and tales from the great man himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A way of life for all, 29 July 2011
A great little read about an inspiring man. The words of Gichin Funakoshi describe an attitude and life code that we can all afford to live by or even partially absorb regardless of whether you practice a martial art.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ!, 24 Sep 2010
Brighid Jagger (York, UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed reading this book, it made me think of Karate a lot more seriously (not that I didn't take it very seriously before I read it). This is a very easy read, Ginchin Funakosh's down to earth style made me enjoy every page. My favourite passages of the book were when Ginchin Funakoshi was being taught his kata's, it was brilliant when Itosu watched him from the roof! Another bit I enjoyed very much was from Ginchin Funakosh's school teaching days. When the teachers were running after the students, to in force the topknot ban it wasn't very nice, but he made it sound very amusing. This book and 'The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate' made me see Karate in a completely different way. I read this book when I was a purple belt (5th kyu) I am now purple & white (4th kyu), that's 4 away from my junior black belt. I would like to recommend this book to everybody.
Note: This review was written by my daughter Maya Jagger.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 6 July 2010
i started reading this book on here when you look inside the book but when it ended i thought wow i
have to get this book and ordered it then. Its a great read and personally i think a great find on my behalf

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 11 Jun 2010
A great history of Karate, told through an autobiographical narrative. An insight into the meaning behind the art, what it means to be a karate-ka, and a life story of the Sensei who brought karate from Okinawa to Japan and the wider world.

A thought provoking, well written book for anyone interested in the martials arts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Karate Do My Way Of Life., 7 April 2010
Greg Desmond "greg IRL" (IRELAND) - See all my reviews
An OK read, I was interestred in finding out about this man
and his life.
It was informative, but a little tedious in places.

4.0 out of 5 stars Karate-Do: My Way Of life, 6 Mar 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
`Karate-Do: My Way of Life' is an excellent book by Gichin Funakoshi where he recounts various events and experiences from his life. Rather than being a traditional autobiography it is more like a memoir where he shares his training, beliefs and theories on life and Karate. He shares assorted stories about his early training and the truth behind some of the myths that have sprung up around him, his fellow Karateka and his martial art in general. It also looks at the development of Karate from a secret martial art practised by him and a few others during the early years of the Meiji restoration to it's later status as an internationally renowned art. This book is very easy to read and you can see this master is both wise and humble and many martial artists can learn a great deal from him (whether Karate is their chosen art or not). This also sheds some light on life in Japan during the period of the authors life and makes for fascinating reading if you are interested in Japan in general. There is also a middle photo section showing Funakoshi during his later life. It pays to be aware that this book has no specifics about Karate techniques (you will need another book if that is what you are after) but it does look at Funakoshi's thoughts of life, training and the experiences of his life and overall it makes for fascinating and enlightening reading.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Shotokan Karate-ka ought to be given this when they on joining their club, 9 Jan 2009
Terry Tozer "TJSKA.com" (Reading & Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
In his biographical masterpiece, Supreme Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi gives a very witty, intelligent & often funny account of his whole life, from his early days when he was forced to take up training for his poor health to when he was finally invited to Japan to give the first successful demonstration of his art - Shotokan Karate.

He was obviously a very clever man who really had a passion for his art. At an early age he developed a goal, a vision and a passion to learn all he could about karate from the then great masters of his time and present it to the world. He recounts several times in his life when he was confronted by would-be assailants and describes how he got out of the potentially lethal encounter, he does this in a very witty and often funny way.

Despite the book being very small and could be read by some perhaps in a day or so, it really is very interesting and worth reading several times, especially if you practice Karate. I think that it's the sort of book that should be given to new students on joining a Shotokan club.

It's just packed with gems of wisdom worth there weight in gold for successful living, even in today's manic society.

As in all the other positive reviews listed here already, Funakoshi's book is full of wisdom, inspiration and hope.

Check out Clive Layton's "Training with Funakoshi" too, an excellent work from a different perspective not to mention Funakoshi's "Twenty Guiding Principles".

Ought to be on every Shotokan karate-ka's bookshelf!

Karate-Do: My Way of Life
Karate-Do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi (Paperback - 29 Mar 2013)
5.24