4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you can read in Japanese, especially for students
Published on 2 May 2001 by Karin Smejkal

3.0 out of 5 stars Great dictionary - with a magnifying glass
Published on 4 Nov. 2009 by C. Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you can read in Japanese, especially for students, 2 May 2001
I am an English university student studying Japanese, and I find this a really thorough dictionary which I am very happy with. It has lots of kanji and gives example sentences to help out if you don't know the context of the word. The sample sentences are in plain form though, so beware of using them directly in an essay which should be in polite form. If you are English speaking and cannot read Japanese (i.e. you are only learning to speak it) then don't get it, as all Japanese words are in kana.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 6 Mar. 2004
This is big! I expected it to be big, but its bigger than that :)
Not very portable at all, this is really a leave at home book.
Size:50mm x 140mm x 190mm Weight: 1.1Kg
It contains just what you think it does. Its invaluable as “the ultimate” dictionary for someone studying Japanese. The only close alternative to this, might be to buy the J->E and E->J dictionaries separately. Be careful of the smaller dictionaries, as the kanji can be unreadable. This has nice big text, and you can see the kanji pretty well. Maybe even bigger would have been nice, but then the English would have looked like a childrens book :)
The only problem I have found so far is that there are mistakes :\
My Japanese teacher took a look through it and found mistakes in the kanji right away…
That said, there really is no alternative. If you want something better than your pocket dictionary, this is the one to buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner dictionary, 9 Sept. 2010
I've used this dictionary for many years now, and it served me pretty well until post 2nd level JLPT, at which point its deficiencies will become obvious - it often lacks common synonyms, and doesn't really give enough information about usual verb sentence structures (unlike a proper kokugo jiten). There are also, as mentioned in another review, some "mistakes". Despite that I give it five stars because it's a very good little book.
Like a real Japanese dictionary it uses kana rather than latin characters for Japanese lookup, so be aware of that if you can't read any kana or don't know the order of a kana table.
A VERY nice feature is an extensive (although not exhaustive) list of counters.
It's not as sturdy as it looks, unfortunately, and my cover fell off (I need a new one) after I started taking Japanese lessons seriously - it didn't really like transport.

If you're learning to read I recommend getting a kanji dictionary as well (the bigger the better). If you're looking for an intermediate to advanced dictionary...this isn't it. (try Amazon Japan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great dictionary - with a magnifying glass, 4 Nov. 2009
C. Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
Having already got the Oxford beginners japanese dictionary, I needed one with a few more words and phrases. This uses furigana (small hiragana above the kanji) rather than repeating the japanenes in hiragana and then kanji. Certainly there are lots of new enries and many more phrases, but I tend to have to use a magnifying glass to read the kanji or hiragana, the former because they are complex and the latter because they are now small (to fit above the kanji). Ok, I am now 52 and need reading glasses anyway - but I tend to rely on the Oxford first simply because of this. The book uses no colour, which I liked about the Oxford. Its chunky, not a really large book, only 14x19x5 cm, certainly not pcket size. There is a small appendix, but very sketchy indeed. Unlike the Oxford, it only shows the "dictionary form" of the verbs, i.e. if soemthing is in the "~mas" or "~te" form, it will not redirect you to the dictionary form.

All in all it is a good dictionary, not quite for the beginner, and does not try to solve the "tiny character" problem, indeed it makes it worse, if you rely on hiragana.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the weak of sight!, 29 Aug. 2011
This is potentially a great dictionary, and I think it is unique in it's comprehensive coverage of Kanji with Furigana... but... the type of the Furigana is so small I have to actually use a magnifying glass at times to read it. And I don't normally wear reading glasses or anything. It greatly reduces the usability of the book I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 16 April 2010
E. Angel - See all my reviews
I just got this book and I love it. Its for someone who just started learning Japanese and also the Kanji helps when you are at the point where you start reading and writing.I didn't regret getting this book. I highly recommend this book to other people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodansha's Dictionary a great option to learn japanese!, 1 Aug. 2012
A must-buy dictionary for learning Japanese. It also includes examples in different tenses of almost every concept.
Furigana helps you if you do not handle kanji, or if you only know some of them.

Best option in dictionaries, as far as I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy for people learning Japanese, 10 Feb. 2011
Ron (Loughborough, Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Although, electronic dictionaries are on the rise and are much quicker but if you seriously want to learn Japanese this is a must buy. Furigana method helps you rely on Japanese rather than romaji and this makes it all the more better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 14 Jan. 2011
Our friend who is a lawyer in Japan recommended this. We have been using for 2 years, our ability to handle Japanese sky-rocketed. Since we frequently travel to Japan for business, this is an essential companion for business traveller as much as student of Japanese. highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 12 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
the book is excellent as it gives several examples and cases for the words. It would have been better if there was romaji as well....but i guess this makes sure you are up to scratch on your hiragana and katakana!!!

Kodansha's Furigana Japanese Dictionary (Kodansha Dictionaries)
Kodansha's Furigana Japanese Dictionary (Kodansha Dictionaries) by Masatoshi Yoshida (Hardcover - 17 Dec. 2012)