4.0 out of 5 stars The only one you'll need?
I'm a first time tourist going to Tokyo and I found the guide to be extremely user friendly. Everything is listed very detailed and in colour. Even the subway system was covered, and I found it rendering the other subway guide I got pretty useless.
Published on 28 Feb 2005 by Fact Lover

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the paper it's written on
Unfortunately this map was no use at all for my recent visit to Japan.
Tokyo is hard enough to navigate at the best of times and this map just complicates things.
The pages / maps in this book don't assist you in anyway, my advice is to buy a good travel guide such as "Top 10 Tokyo" by Eyewitness travel and use the maps in this book.
Top 10 Tokyo (DK...
Published on 17 Oct 2010 by craftypear

4.0 out of 5 stars The only one you'll need?, 28 Feb 2005
Fact Lover (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Probably the only gripe I have is that it only does it's job as an atlas guide and nothing more. No intro or extra info of the city and places, or tips on how the address system works in Japan and how you should go about finding your way around.
But all in all, a pretty satisfying buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bilingual map of Tokyo - Essential, 12 April 2007
Mark N. Bolton (London & Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been based in Tokyo for the last four years and have used extensively both the second and third editions of this book. I've also recommended this book to other expats and visitors coming to Tokyo for a reasonable length of time and had them find it useful and write positive reviews.

As noted by other reviewers, this is only a book of maps (streets, trains, subway) covering central "greater Tokyo" (i.e. more than inside the Yamanote line, but certainly not all 23 wards). You will need a guide book in addition - personally I'd recommend Lonely Planet, but that's just a personal preference.

This is a book for walking and travelling round Tokyo it is not really a driving atlas. It will help you find Tokyo landmarks and addresses (at least down to the right block - which is all you can expect...) but it is not particularly well arranged for driving round the city.

If you are coming to Tokyo for more than a couple of days I would recommend adding this book to your bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE SAVER!!! YAAAAY!, 13 Dec 2007
This map book was amazingly fantastically useful. When I went to Tokyo knowing no Japanese other than hello, good bye, and excuse me (not the easiest way to go to Japan believe me. learn a few more phrases than that before you go). Firstly the city map: brilliant very detailed, every building is numbered and allot of them are labelled with what they are (allot)for example shopping centres that are not even in the travel guides and things that are like the Sony building. very very useful when trying to get your bearings when you walk out of a subway station in Gina. the city map is very accurate and reliable. secondly the subway and rail maps, these where superb simply pointing to the station that you wanted to get to on the map is allot more useful than doing the old British thing of saying the word loudly slowly but still pronouncing it completely wrong. Used this part of the book everyday extremely useful. whatever you do if this is your first time going to Tokyo don't go without a bi-lingual map believe me when I say you will regret it if you only have an English map on you when you get there. it makes asking directions so much easier and the Japanese appreciate that you have something in there language. Money that you couldn't spend any better, and of this if your first time in Tokyo money that you need to spend. Buy this book, your gonna need it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what the guidebooks don't!, 16 April 2010
Unless you like getting lost in big cities then this atlas is essential for your trip to Tokyo.

As other people have said there's no introduction and it doesn't do much beyond work as an atlas, but that's fine when you consider the fact that there are loads of guidebooks out there about Tokyo. Instead, this atlas does what the guidebooks don't -- allows you to see exactly where something is. Let's face it, the maps in most guidebooks are pretty rubbish.

This atlas has most tourist attractions and major hotels are marked, but even if they're not marked it's still pretty easy to see where you're going -- we had no problem using it to find unmarked shops and museums that we'd read about on the internet or in guidebooks as long as we had the address.

Even though most streets in Tokyo don't have street signs the atlas has so many places marked that you should be able to find something to help guide you.

To top it off, it's small and light enough to carry around in your bag when you're out and about, and also has railway and metro maps printed at the front for quick reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 11 Feb 2009
Paul Barrett (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought this before spending two weeks in Tokyo after seeing good reviews and I must say it is well worth the money.
The city actually has quite a lot of "you are here" maps around, but I only really used them to see what direction I was facing. After that, all I needed was this.
The most helpful section is the subway map at the front, not to mention the fact that all the subway exits are clearly marked on the main map. I talked to someone who said even locals can have trouble with the subway, but I had no trouble getting anywhere. By the end of my first day I was fully confident to ride off anywhere in the subway and it's thanks to this book.

But simply, if you are going to Tokyo buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Tokyo Much More Fun, 10 Aug 2008
Oliver (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
In one sense, it is very easy to get around Tokyo. The subways and trains go just about everywhere. On the other hand, finding a particular shop or restaurant can be very difficult (for Westerners) because of the tangle of streets and the lack of signs, but even more importantly the different method of identifying addresses. The maps in your guide book -- even the Lonely Planet books -- are not sufficient if you want to be able to find that restaurant your friend recommended.

This easy-to-use map makes a world of difference. With it, you can find just about anything, even if you do not speak a word of Japanese and you have never been to Tokyo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Tokyo map., 6 Oct 2009
This book shows detailed maps of the city and the famous areas (like Shinjuku, Harajuku and Shibuya) in even greater detail. It also shows block numbers which should give a little bit of help understanding Japanese addresses or to show a taxi driver where to go if you do not know much Japanese. Places of interest are clearly shown (like staions, arcades and hotels). The section at the end states the addresses of major hotels and embassies to help you if you get lost or need information in this giant city. Do no expect this book to give any information on places to visit. It is what it says it is, a city atlas, not a city guidebook.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIFE SAVER no doubt!, 4 Dec 2008
W. K. Majad - See all my reviews
Does exactly what its suppose to do - show you streets, shrines, temples, gardens, buildings, attractions - just pretty much everything you need to know when searching through an area in Japan, this saved all 7 of my friends and myself many times, nothing is perfect as there was one section that was missing in one of the pages but apart from that its totally what you need if all you want is to get to a specific area via streets and train stations!

Well worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it if you're visiting for the first time, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide (Paperback)
I visited Tokyo for 10 days and used this atlas all the time - really good idea to have it if you plan to do lots of strolling around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for anyone visting Tokyo, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide (Paperback)
Like Kodansha's "Japan - A Bilingual Atlas" this is slightly quirky to follow, but the best I've found. We will be taking it on our next trip to Tokyo.

Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide
Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide by Kodansha International (Paperback - 5 Oct 2012)