5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, marvellous, beautiful and peaceful.
I was looking for a book about Shinto. Now, I think I was lucky enough to find this handy, complete, and easy to read explanation about Shinto, written by a 79th generation Grand Master of Shinto!

Published on 4 July 2007 by lector

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by ViridianCity

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, marvellous, beautiful and peaceful., 4 July 2007

I also found surprisingly, that the reading of this book was a relaxing one, with a sense of beauty and peace. You will discover that Shinto "has no founder, no doctrines, no precepts or commandments, no idols and no organization", which is something quite astonishing for someone like me, who has been educated in the catholic religion!

The book consist of 8 chapters:
1. Shinto for the New Millennium.
2. What is Shinto?
3. What is Jinja?
4. The idea of Misogi (Purification)
5. The idea of Harai
6. Koshinto: Theory of one spirit, four souls
7. Koshinto: view of the "Other World"
8. The systematic training method of chinkon

No doubt,this is a reference book for anyone insterested in Shinto.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essence of Shinto: excellence!, 25 Oct 2010
If your looking up Shinto you'll have some idea of what Shinto is. The problem is that there is very little written about it, in books and on the internet. This book explains what it is and what it is not, and it has a benefit of being written by a master not some academic or some second rate author, its simple and precise. It does not go into great detail but through this book you can grasp Shinto's "essence", its form or shape. It gives you enough information of the basic practice to allow you to, how master Motohisa Yamakage put it, discover your own Shinto. So far I have read this little book three times and I am always learning from it. It is probably the best guide to Shinto practice without having to go all the way to japan to study it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Great!, 15 Jun 2014
Benjawan Skulsujirapa (Thailand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essence of Shinto: Japan's Spiritual Heart (Hardcover)
I've always been interested in Japanese Shinto and Buddhism.
This book tells us the story of Shinto.
Things the Japanese consider "custom", in many occasions come from Shinto belief.

The writer takes you to the core of Shinto, things beyond Shinto ceremonies and architectural structure which foreigners (like me, previously) use to identify Shinto.

Unbelievably easy to read, yet informative and very well written.
I never thought I would be able to finish any religious books within 2 days, but I did.
I will recommend this book to anyone who has interest in Japanese culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery of interesting book, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Essence of Shinto: Japan's Spiritual Heart (Hardcover)
Arrived quickly and in good condition. An interesting read for a beginner. Lots of info and instructions on diff rituals.

5.0 out of 5 stars the essence of shinto, 13 Jun 2010
P. J. De Maziere (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
This book is, without dought, worth every penny its very very well writen easy to read and it realy does have a very calming effect on the reader.It is full of easy to understand information and you can feel the writers spirituality, almost as if he reaches out from the pages right into your spiritual heart. 100%+

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, 1 Nov 2011
Having heard of the Shinto 'religion', I wanted to find out what it was all about. After reading the other customer reviews which highly praise this book, I thought I couldn't go wrong, but this was not what I expected. First off, the book is almost solid text throughout. As I have never visited Japan to see a shrine and I have little knowledge of Japanese customs, having images would have helped me understand the 'essence' of Shinto a lot better. The book starts introducing a lot of (complex) Shinto ideas and the associated terminology, but I didn't feel that the terminology was well enough explained, and I often didn't understand the concepts. The book didn't really explain what Shinto traditions/ideologies are, instead dwelling on such topics as the precise way that you should hold energy in your stomach when meditating after a bath or the correct wording for inviting the spirit of Kami (all in Japanese, of course). I did not find this book a useful overview of Shinto, as I found it too in-depth for someone who has no knowledge of the subject. The most interesting parts were on Shinto history and the author's personal experiences. There is a lot of stuff about what to do when visiting a Shinto shrine, but as I do not live near any Japanese shrines, it's going to be hard work putting the concepts into practise. After reading this book, I am left with the impression that Shinto is simply the embodiment of the Japanese culture, and the two are pretty much inseparable. I don't think Shinto is a religion which can be learned - it's too embedded in the Japanese culture. Unless you are fluent in Japanese and are accustomed to visiting shrines, I'm not sure what you will be able to take from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Into the world of Shinto, 4 Sep 2011
This book is a must have to anyone interested in Shinto. It takes you back to the "Old Shinto" and Japanese Mythology. The author is himself a high rank shinto priest, so you can really trust the information.

Essence of Shinto: Japan's Spiritual Heart
Essence of Shinto: Japan's Spiritual Heart by Motohisa Yamakage (Hardcover - 15 Nov 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available