5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Good Skin, at a low, low cost.
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by Punchy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Photos, Disappointing Text
I was hoping for more information to read, but much of this book consists of photos of how to conduct a skin routine. Whilst that's helpful and informative (great photos!) I'd prefer some text to read to help it make sense. Still, a novel concept that is worth following up if you want to look after your skin.
Published on 6 Jan 2010 by J. Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Good Skin, at a low, low cost., 8 Jan 2010
I'll keep the background short: I grew up an athletic tomboy and skincare was the last thing on my mind ("Skincare is for pansies!"). That is, until that job (lots of daytime travelling in a hot country and very late nights) and a new hobby (surfing). A relative strong-armed me into getting monthly facials to fix all the abuse, and I finally realised how hard it was to repair all the damage.

I moved away a couple of years ago and haven't been able to find a beautician as great as my last (and only!) one. Zits? Open pores? Dull complexion? All would be gone the day after a session with her. I tried lots of facial products and routines, but they didn't work, regardless of price and promise.

I heard about this book and bought it - I've never bought a skincare book in my life, because I think most of them are codswallop. This book however, aims to teach you to take care of your own skin without having to spend a fortune on salons and special treatments. It starts off by dispelling skincare myths and explaining other aspects of daily life which contribute to skin deterioration. This is followed by a section listing the kit you will need for Saeki's recommended routine - there is no actual brand-plugging (as obviously you need to find the equivalent most suitable for your skin), except for a couple of Saeki-branded items, but you should be able to easily find substitutes at your local drug store. All items are common and affordable.

Most of the book walks you through face massages and rejuvenation routines. I'm not sure what the previous reviewer meant by there not being enough information, because all the photos and routines are accompanied by sufficient explanations, and there is certainly no shortage of text. All instructions are clear and concise, and even if you hate reading, the photos and diagrams speak for themselves. The routines are all no trouble and quick to execute, and can be easily worked into your daily or weekly schedule.

The most valuable section in the book teaches you how to assess your own skin condition and find out its needs. Verdicts like "Skintype, normal" and "Oily T-zone" are babytalk compared to what's in this section.

If anyone is worried about the quality of translation, the book, though distinctly Japanese in its tone and manner of instruction, makes for a very refreshingly positive and simple read. For some reason, the skincare advice also reads very Asian (which I am), and perhaps Caucasians or darker-skinned races might find this very different from their norm. And as an East Asian, I also really appreciate that this book avoids promoting that silly idea which says perfect Asian skin has to be bone-white.

The best thing about the book is that I am now finally able to achieve the skin condition I had with my former beautician - by myself!

So if you're Asian: seriously consider buying this book. If you have some other skintype: try it! You might learn something new. And if you're male: well, I tried stuff on my husband, who was pretty much a moisturiser and facial wash virgin, and it immediately showed results.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can have the most beautiful skin of your life at any price!, 15 Sep 2010
Hello there, I am the type of person that will ever never write a review I guess apart from been lazy I can really be bother to give my opinion but this time I really feel that I need to share my experience with this amazing book , I been a beauty junky all my life, I guess I started buying creams at the young age of 12... I come from a south america where woman are obsessed with beauty and any type of treatments...so I can say that I have try all kinds of creams, peels, lasers...you name it..., I also work for a fashion magazine so I do get lots of free products, but somehow after reaching my 30's my skin lost the glow and I try all kind of more expensive treatments that didn't work...facials, creme de la mere, sk-ii you name it ....
when in my last trip to Paris I meet this lady with the most amazing skin and she wasn't even wearing make up!! so I have to ask, she did mention that she learn all fron Chizu Saeki books and is not how much money I put into products but how I use the products, so bough the book and read it on my way back to London, the book can not be more clear, it needs lots of pictures because Ms Chizu Saeki aproach skin in a completely different manner, in a holistic way, she goes from teach you how to use the muscles of your face in a really easy and simple way, after a month I had my cheeks round and up as on my twenties! , my skin is better than in my twenties and I don't need to wear make up again!!!, I have the best skin of my life, I wish all woman realize that they can be beautiful and without expending lots of money and feel confident about the future, buy the and see it for yourself!, the best investment you can make for you skin!

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 29 April 2011
This book was imformative, contained a lot of knowlegde and certainly corrected my methods in skin care. Exspeacially love the lotion mask tip, my skin was soaked up with moisture.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for skincare and selfconfidence, 27 Dec 2010
Its a good book to learn how to take care of your skin without spending much money. It also treats some psychological aspects for you to feel more selfconfident. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars! :), 28 May 2011
Very easy to read and great pictures in the book. This book is going to be my bible for my skin care! I read Acne for Dummies before, 300 pages and after book you still don't get it what to do with your skin. This book is short and clear, just follow instructions and be a winner!!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Somehow interesting but somewhere obvious, 28 Oct 2010
I ordered this book while I was browsing the internet searching for more about the layering cleaning method favored by japanese women.
This book and Chizu Saeki was given good comments because it went against this trend of layering.
Ms Saeki has been an aethetics most of her life, working for Dior or Guerlain in Japan among others and she is the living proof of good skin care can do to a face.
But while she is giving many interesting tips she is also stating the obvious about skin car like "do not use too much products on your skin" as many japanese women (but not only) do.
Well at least it is obvious to me!
But this is a great book and I was particularly interested to know about her special moisturizing method using lotion: very easy to handle and to do and does wonder to the skin.
So I do recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense approach, 31 Mar 2011
This book tells us that the reason Japanese women, well into heir old age, have great skin depends on factors that anyone could include in their lives. I particularly like the fact that with Saeki's approach, you can get much more mileage out of your skin care products (I have tried it myself now for two months and it is true) and that you don't need many different products. The important thing is to take time, especially for face massages. Saeki shows how to make different kinds of massages, but I think she could have been a little bit clearer here, for instance, she never says how often or long a certain massage should be/take.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple genius, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Japanese Skincare Revolution: How to Have the Most Beautiful Skin of Your Life - at Any Age (Paperback)
I love this book
This shows how to make the most of yourself regardless of budget and is so simple to incorporate to daily life

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 5 July 2011
A. Costello "inatree" (England) - See all my reviews
I love this little lady, and her eccentric health care wisdom. It is a very simple book with simple ideas, but if you follow her lymph massages and attempt the lotion mask then your skin will love you a little bit more.
Muji have an online store, and if you find the skin care section you will also find the cotton pads and expanding face masks for the lotion mask. It is all straight forward to use, and with consistent practice you will memorize many of her massages. The lotion mask and massages are the core essentials of her skin care philosophy, so if you master those you will get some good results. Like everything else in life if you don't follow things with consistency and diligence then you won't get results. Therefore if you rely heavily on product to achieve a flawless look then you will probably give up on Chizu's methods very quickly. If you have a few extra minutes a day to love your skin then this book is worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars personal experience, 13 Jun 2011
After I bought the book I tried all the tips inside and I was amased how for no time I could see the difference in my skin condition.