Published on 31 July 2008 by Al

3.0 out of 5 stars I was a little disappointed by the lack of photos inside
I was a little disappointed by the lack of photos inside, my research could have been better, although the recipes do look good
Published 3 months ago by Angela Fox-Spencer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most comprehensive Japanese cookbook I know of..., 31 July 2008
Al (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This book is essential if you want to cook proper Japanese food that tastes like Japanese food should do. It covers a wide range of Japanese food types that don't get much coverage outside Japan but are at the heart of Japanese food culture. From fried foods (agemono) and traditional one pot dishes (nabemono) to how to make your own Japanese pickles (tsukemono), you don't get more comprehensive or authentically Japanese than this.
The author is well know and respected in Japan and I know some Japanese people also use this as a reference for cooking, even though this is designed for a Western audience as the introduction shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Insight Into Traditional Japanese Food, 3 July 2010
I had been searching for a good authoritative text on Japanese cooking and I fell in love with this book after previewing it online. I purchased my own copy a few months ago and I have not been disappointed. It's simply wonderful, and I'm amazed to find that I could actually read it from cover to cover if I wanted to. More than just a collection of recipes, it is truly an insight into Japanese culture.

The book is essentially split into two parts. In Part 1, Shizuo Tsuji enthrals with his introductions to different types of dishes, and there are also useful introductions to the ingredients and equipment that are typical of traditional Japanese cookery. After reading Part 1 you are well placed to begin experimenting with the recipes in Part 2.

I'm still struck by how immensely enjoyable it is to read 'Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art', considering that for the most part it is unadulterated by flashy food photography. It manages to provide what many modern cookbooks lack. It is simple, effective and rooted in a wonderfully intriguing culinary tradition. I highly recommend reading this book to glean a thorough insight into the cuisine before purchasing any other texts on Japanese cooking. I would have given it more stars if I could, since five seems too few to denote my appreciation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, accesible and delicious!, 1 Aug. 2010
I was bought this book as a gift, despite its intimidating size I've found it to be a superb book that not only provides great, easy to follow recipes but also provides a lot of insight into Japanese cookery, teaches techniques and cooking styles and has a very helpful ingredients guide that gives an idea of what to subsititute when you can't find a particuarly obscure japanese ingredient.

The only difficult I find with it is that some stuff is just unavailable in the UK, however there are still plenty of recipes in the book that you can make using items you buy from asian supermarkets.

Excellent book, definetly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 14 Dec. 2009
Thank goodness I came across this book in the Amazon reviews, and was convinced to buy it. I hadn't heard of it before, and it looked a bit old fashioned, but it is truly excellent. I bought it along with another more modern Japanese cookery book 'just in case' and this one beats it hands down. I am constantly referring to it, while the newwer one gathers dust. It provides a wealth of information, such a level of detail, yet is still a great read, I love that I can pick it up and just read it for interest's sake. If you have any interest at all in Japanese food, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, comprehensive, informative and very authentic (definitely no fusion), 30 Mar. 2010
This is a brilliant book. The recipes are completely authentic, no fusion. As another reviewer has mentioned, the author is famous in Japan and even the Japanese use this as a reference, even though it was written for non-Japanese.

The book is laid out very well and the explanations of techniques, ingredients or cultural aspects of the food are detailed but informative, interesting and easy to follow. This book de-mystifies Japanese cooking and keeps it simple as it should be.

The first half of the book covers the basic ingredients, utensils and techniques required for the recipes which follow in part 2. Many techniques are used in multiple dishes, which is why the book is organised in this manner. This half also has an explanation of the Japanese meal from which courses are served, in what order and why, to pointers on manners.

The second half contain the recipes themselves, which are excellent. A number of styles of Japanese cooking are included which would not be familiar to the majority of those who have not lived in Japan.

I am half Japanese so my usual reference for Japanese cooking is my mother but sometimes I even check her advice against this cookbook to see if they agree with each other... they've never contradicted each other so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep cook book, 19 Nov. 2010
Reading this book is more than a cookbook. I understand now better the sophistication of the japanese culture, this book describes in detail exactly how to cut your ingredients, how long to cook each one, how to assemble a soup bowl that will be steamed, etc. And one of the great things is that at the end of most recipes, the author says 'goes well together with X and Y dish' thus making it easy to put together a meal that would surely impress guests or your family. This book is like a cornerstone of japanese cooking, the ancient art that is and will forever be better than all the new modern dishes that are coming and will come.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just for cooking, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I was initialy troubled that the book contains few images. However, there are a lot of well-drawn sketches of ingredients, utensils and cooking methods that you will find useful. The drawings also contribute to the "old - fashioned" feeling that you get when you read the book. I found myself reading the book in bed, because apart from the well explained recipies and tips, the writer presents in an excellent way the traditions and the culture in relation to Japanese cuisine.

All in all a very enjoyable and useful book to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and tasty, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art (Hardcover)
This book will provide anyone interested in Japanese cooking plenty of insight into preparation, cooking techniques and philosophy to mention a just a few things.

I have not yet been to Japan but have been to Malaysia and Thailand. This book reminds me of the Thompson Thailand book, one which I felt was very authentic.

There are plenty more detailed reviews on here but I felt I needed to add my five stars to the mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art (Hardcover)
Best Japanese cooking book ever. Is not about recipes only, but about techniques

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional information station, 26 Sept. 2009
Mr. Adrian E. Webb "Pro Chef" (London England) - See all my reviews
Ok this is the definitive work on the subject giving precise and concisive information to allow you to produce the real thing.
As a professional chef this book lets me in to the world of Japanese cuisine quickly and clearly I recommend it without reservation and the deal with Amazon is good and the product is cheap.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji (Hardcover - 17 Feb. 2012)