on 7 August 1997
I found the book beautiful and fun to go through. However in the end it seemed shallow and empty. Perspectives on design of Roger Black are almost non-existent at times. I wanted to know more about his thoughts on design as I strolled through his works than what was in print. Especialy when I find a beautiful design or spread he designed. The majority of the book analyzes design and appears to be a retrospective of his work in print for the most part. Web site design is there too, but that seems to be trivial, given the name of the book. All in all, it's a beautiful book, and don't get me wrong, I liked it. I just wish I could get inside his head a bit more.
on 24 March 1999
This book is bashed a lot here without good reason. Black espouses not *his* principles, but timeless, universal principles of good design--and good design is good design, whether it's online or off. No, Black isn't God, and so what if he thinks he is? His ideas are sound, period. And to those who think the book is "shallow" or lacks "content," you're missing the boat. You want detail? Go read a Que Publishing 600-pager! You want content? This book has plenty! To quote Black: "I think Hotwired is one of the best things on the web, but they suffer from an out-of-date, hacker-centric attitude." Right on!!
on 5 November 1997
Wow. If anyone can challenge David Siegel's ego, here's the guy. With a book of common sense layout information and self-glorification, this book is little more than a 240 page commercial for Roger Black. The book strays into layout principles that have nothing to do with the Web. For the purpose of contrast I could understand, but a whole book about it? Please. I'll save you some time.. "Be brief. Use limited colors and fonts. Make things big." There. That's the book. I got this book through promotional channels and paid nothing for it. I'm still out too much. Just another big, glossy, square book about the Web.
on 1 May 1998
This book is nothing but Roger Black's opinions. If he says a design is bad - it must be so. If he says his sites are the best - it must be so. There is absolutely no practical advice in here. No HTML tricks, no programming hints, no tips on how to create a nice web site which is what I was hoping for. He may be at the top of the field but his pontificating really seems overblown. He may not be that self-centered and self-important in person but boy, does he come across that way in this book! I'm glad to read the other reviews and see that I am not alone in my assessment! I was truly disappointed in this book.
on 12 February 1999
The only reason that I haven't given this book back to Amazon is because I want to keep it as a reference for good PRINT design -- not web design.
Web Sites That Work would better serve the graphic design community as a reference for good book and magazine design rather than web design.
Throughout the book I got the impression that Roger Black wasn't actually creating Web Sites... He was really making MAGAZINE COVERS, throwing in some URL links and then posting them on the net disguised as web sites.
The book is beautiful... that's about the only reason you should buy it.
on 30 July 1999
Roger Black's book is terrific because he brings you back to the classic design principles which are visual communication laws. "Keep it simple" will always win out and hey, get a Photoshop book if that's what you were expecting. I'm afraid that the disdain over this book as shown in these reviews is representative of why there are so many poorly designed sites.Then again, according to Roger Black, you'll probably never scroll down to read my review. If this book couldn't do it, hopefully something will knock some design sense into those that need it.
on 8 May 1998
Black says that a core group of anti-establishment web pioneers and techies hate him because he uses his successful techniques from the world of print. I say he sounds like he's got delusions of grandeur and he may need professional help.
I wanted a book that has interesting content and good design suggestions. The other (negative) reviews here are pretty much correct - not much here at best, at worst we see a tremendous ego and standard "internet visionary" garbage.
Stay away. Stay far away.
on 15 April 1997
Well, I for one am so happy I read this book. It seems that everyone is just rushing onto the Web throwing piles of cash at this monster without stepping back to look at what it is we are doing. Roger Black has given me a better understanding of what to do and how to do it. The best thing is that he doesn't take the stance of a holier-than-thou Guru on High. His advice smacks of common sense and yet is still quite sophisticated. Bonus: this book is as pleasing to the eye as to the mind.
on 28 October 1997
Although this book is self congratulatory and its content puddle deep you gotta give Mr. Black credit for starting a not unappealing trend: The holy color trilogy espoused by Black (red, white & black) is now plastered all over whichever media one cares to look. I've had an enormous amount of fun watching this trend unfold, all the while knowing the source: Roger Black's "Web Sites That Work".
on 9 March 1999
For those of us who approach web development from a design background, this is a great resource for what makes good design. Well worth the cost, but it's not a collection of web tricks. For that, check out Weinman's "Creative HTML Design". But Black's book is something I come back to periodically to make sure I have my head screwed on straight.