5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace, 8 Sep 2011
John Brand - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me (Hardcover)
To be honest, there was no way I was not going to love this book! It's about my favourite biblical topic, it's by my favourite preacher/theologian, it's based on one of my favourite hymns and the foreword is by a friend who is my favourite African preacher.

But, even if all that had not been the case, I would still have written a glowing review of this book. Sinclair Fergusom takes the wonderful hymn by the Burundi Pastor, E T Sibomana, 'O how the grace of God amazes me' and, taking each of the seven verses, explains how the grace of God meets with and deals with sinful men and women, setting them free from the dominion of sin and releasing them into the glorious security of the kingdom of God.

I had the inestimable privilege of being taught both systematics and homiletics by Sinclair and he has always had a gift of being able to explain the most profound theology in a completely comprehensible and profoundly heart warming way. This book is no exception. It would make a great devotional guide but it would also make a very useful evangelistic tool to give to a thoughtful non-Christian friend or a pastoral tool to give to a troubled Christian friend - as I have done this very evening.

Of all the excellent seven chapters I must highlight The Great Exchange, where the author guides us through the sufferings of Christ leading up to and on the cross; Delivered from Evil, which is undoubtedly the best one chapter overview of Job I have ever read, and True Freedom where Romans 6 is expounded most helpfully.

You will be glad to know that not many books make me burst into song, but this one did, several times. O how the grace of God amazes me.

in a promotional video for the book Ferguson says, "There is no such thing as grace. That's a medieval, Roman Catholic conception that actually seems to be part and parcel of many Christians' thinking...that there's a substance called grace and God gives you bits and pieces of it and you have more of it or less of it; I think without fully appreciating that when Scripture speaks about the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, it's speaking about Jesus Christ himself."

5.0 out of 5 stars Bt Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes me by Sinclair Ferguson, 14 Sep 2010
This review is from: By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me (Hardcover)
By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me. This was one of the best books i have read this year. It helps me to understand how much God love us all and how much love there is in the world to go around everyone who wants it. Sinclair Ferguson writes the book in such an easy way everyone can understand it. God's love just shines through Sinclair, you can tell that from every page as you read this book. The Grace and the Beauty throughout this book and God's love is just simply wonderful, yes it just amazes me how much i have learned and understood. I found myself reading parts of the book over and over again, because every paper was wonderful and so amazing. It made me want to read my bible more and more. This book is well worth reading, and i found i could not put it down.
Brilliant read..

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazingly good book on amazing grace, 5 Oct 2010
BAH Wilson (Newtownhamilton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me (Hardcover)
It has been a real pleasure to read this book. Sinclair Ferguson is entirely right - there are so many Christians who do not appreciate how much God loves them. This book is for them - and also for the many who have not yet tasted God's grace.

It is a very simply written exposition of God's amazing grace. Its starting point is a hymn 'O how the grace of God amazes me' by the African Christian Emmanuel T. Sibomana. The themes of the hymn's different stanzas are the starting point for the different chapters. For example, chapter 3 picks up the third stanza's theme -the cost of the Christian's salvation.

I have found it all so helpful - good theology and Bible exposition simply and clearly written and illustrated. It helped me in terms of thinking about difficulties in the Christian life (yes, God really does love His child - and the problems really come from God's enemy, the devil) and it will undoubtedly fit into any preaching or speaking on God's grace I do.

A book to be read - and given or loaned to others who want and need to understand God's grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars O How the grace of God amazes me, indeed, 12 Feb 2014
Excellent book based on the old hymn, O How the Grace of God Amazes Me. Sinclair Ferguson writes this book enabling the reader to be clear about Gods grace and how amazing it is. There is no focus on the author and his own thoughts or values but the reader can simply turn to God and see how amazing the gift of the Lord Jesus is. We don't need to be in bondage to sin, we have freedom from that bondage only through the Lord Jesus. God grace is indeed truly amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Nov 2014
Such an encouragement - how amazing is God's grace! How we need such timely reminders.

By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me
By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me by Sinclair B. Ferguson (Hardcover - 12 Jan 2010)