5.0 out of 5 stars This eating plan really works
Published on 6 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Very outdated
Although this book was an enjoyable read, I personally don't believe in a lot of it as it comes across as outdated pseudo science to me, the whole idea of food combining is what this book is based on and I personally have tried it and found it made no difference. I did lose weight following this plan though so if that's all you want then maybe you can find some value in...
Published 7 months ago by M. Spruce

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This eating plan really works, 6 Oct 2001
This review is from: Fit for Life (Paperback)
If you can get over the breathless, cheesy, evangelical style of this book, and just try the eating plan -you'll be amazed. It really works. In just 3 weeks I have lost 14 pounds, whilst enjoying every meal, and even going to several dinner parties. Most miraculous of all - I have had no cravings and have been able to resist all temptations. On this plan you need never go hungry - yet there is no desire to overeat. For the first time ever, I have found a plan I feel I could follow for life. I have already converted my husband and two friends, who have all had similar success. Best of all - you feel great. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed my life, 8 Mar 2004
This review is from: Fit For Life (Paperback)
I started on this diet 18 months ago and boy, what a difference.
I am sharper, brighter, more alive, better at my work, more energetic, can eat as much as I like, suffer no ill health or pain and discomfort...I could go on all day but I think you get the idea. This book is not a diet fad, it is a life changer.
You may think that a book talking about fresh fruit and vegetables, air, water, sunshine and exercise is just common sense. Well you would be right, it is. Unfortunately with all the different opinions we receive from health advisers and food companies it is easy to get confused about what we should eat.
I would suggest trying this diet for 10 days and see how you feel. I suspect you will notice an improvement in well being very quickly and any way the money you spend on the book will be paid back by a lower grocery bill (fresh produce is cheaper than cooked or processed). What have you got to lose?
Well done Harvey and Marilyn Diamond for speaking the truth, and thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a diet but a way of life that you can stick to, 25 Jan 2000
This review is from: Fit for Life (Paperback)
I am a diabetic and suffered from high blood pressure, after reading this book and applying its ideas I lost 28 lbs in weight, my sugar level stabilised and my blood pressure reduced, I didn't stick to it initially but the weight I lost did not return. its a must for overweight people.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never find an 'amazing discovery' that has been isolated in a pork chop, 4 Sep 2009
L. Coull (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fit For Life (Paperback)
I loved this book. I originally read 'Easyweigh to Lose Weight' by Allen Carr (also available on Amazon.co.uk and on which I have given an almost identical review. ) 'Easyweigh' is based on the principles of this book 'Fit for Life'. All my life, every time I ate the wrong things, I felt sluggish, was constipated, and just instinctively knew my diet (meat and dairy for instance) was not doing me any good. Morally, I have no problem with the thought of killing and eating animals for food. I was brought up in a meat and two veg environment; a main meal did not feel like a meal unless it had these things...meat, potatoes, veg, and maybe fruit, or something dairy for pudding. I never questioned the order in which I ate my food, or the rightful place of meat or milk in my diet. We just eat sensibly from the four food groups in order to remain healthy - or so our belief systems tell us. However, an hour into this book, I knew I would never eat meat personally again. It was like a light going on in my head. Without actually describing it in so many words, I could see what I was doing to my body through my diet...how I was dried up and dehydrated, with up to three months worth of rotting dead animal backed up inside my colon. Yummy. No wonder I had had bad breath, a swollen tummy and constipation. I did not for one moment think this book would stop me eating meat. Yes, if you read this book you will definitely change your eating habits, and definitely lose weight. You will also probably convert to become a vegan, or at least a vegetarian. But why does that have to sound like an apology? Why should it be a bad thing? Veggies, fruit and other plants are natural foods for humans to eat. Every time there is a great discovery of a compound that helps cancer or other human maladies, it comes from the plant kingdom. You'll never find an 'amazing discovery' that has been isolated in a pork chop. Harvey also blows apart the myths of brainwashing and learned belief systems. I don't feel like I am missing out by stopping eating meat; I don't feel deprived. I don't feel miserable at the thought of a meat free life. Instead, I feel like I am on the edge of a jump into a new life... I feel excited by the changes that are happening in my body. I feel as if I have been set free.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Diet really does work.., 26 Feb 2004
A. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fit For Life (Paperback)
I've been on this diet for over 15 years now, and what can I say? It works. Whether the explanations they offer for WHY it works are right or not, I simply don't know. All I do know is that since being on the diet, I lost over a stone - and it's stayed off. I haven't been ill once in that time - not even a cold. I have bags more energy than I used to have - and more than almost anyone else I know. And the best thing about it is that I can - in effect - eat as much as I want. Yes, the combinations I can eat at any one meal are restricted, but to me, that's a small price to pay for all the benefits.

As for the book, well, it has a rather verbose, Californian style, but stick with it. You won't regret it.

Oh, and the Avocado dressing recipe at the very end is brilliant as a dip..

5.0 out of 5 stars 65 overweight for 20 years ,14lbs gone in 2 weeks,feel great, 18 July 2001
This review is from: Fit for Life (Paperback)
This book may be gushy in parts but the principles are excellent. Using only a few of the recipes offered I am eating satisfying healthy meals and haven't felt hungry in two weeks. Before changing to this lifestyle I was sluggish, constipated, tired, had dark shadows under my eyes and always wanting something sweet to eat. Now I can walk into a sweet shop without craving anything. No longer constipated, with much improved energy levels I am looking forward to losing the next 14lbs. I hope I can always eat to this plan and wish I had started years ago...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent common sense guide to eating and health, 21 Sep 2001
This review is from: Fit for Life (Paperback)
The principles you will read in this book just make so much sense it is frightening! I have been sticking loosely to what is suggested for a week and already I can sense a real difference in the way my body feels and the amount of toxins in my system. It is very "American" in style, but the content is very difficult to dispute. I'm a convert.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this! it changed my life and will change yours, 11 July 2000
This review is from: Fit for Life (Paperback)
Ever felt that you have no control over your body weight? Ever felt less than healthy? Perhaps you suffer from ailments such as tiredness, skin complaints or constipation? If any of these apply to you then you haven't read Fit for Life!
Yes! believe me, when you have finished this book and consequently followed the main principles you will not recognise yourself for your visible health and natural side effects of vitality and weight loss.
I first read this book in November 1996 and re-read it every year to refresh my mind of all the principles. If I am feeling a bit low, I can link it to my failure to follow the main principles for a couple of weeks, but when I get back on track again, within 24 hours I can feel the results again.
When I first read this book, something felt wrong about the way I felt physically and emotionally and I felt I had no control over my weight. This book asks you to use common sense and reason with the ideas and principles raised. Everything The Diamonds write continues to work and I am now confident with my figure, health and wellbeing.
This book is not a diet but a plan for life to feel great, look great and enhance all aspects of your life!
I cannot stress how important the main principles are. Everyone needs to read this! I am naturally positive about this book as it transformed my life and will transform yours if you read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST health book ever!!, 22 Jan 2007
This review is from: Fit For Life (Paperback)
People please note, this book is unlike the other diet fad books-the atkins, the GI and all the other nonesense. It begins at the very beginning by stating that in life there are very few failures like "the diet" and as such they distance themselves from this terminolgy.

This is NOT a diet book, the authors do not endorse the "eat badly, diet later scheme". Theirs is simple: incorporate a creative healthy eating and EXERCISING rregime into your life where you will be comfortable eating food, and knowing what you take in is actually good for you. They endorse this by saying, its WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat, and under what COMBINATIONS you eat. I cannot stress how clear this book is. Its unbelievable! Its like biology for dummies, yet it makes it clear that in this day and age our bodies are taking in so much crap we are unclear about what we should be eating, when and how.

The authors cite credible sources so you can even check them out; yet this does not mean that their word is perfectly correct. No. Yet because the authors recognise different lifestyles and constraints they try and incorporate for all, even with a cook book in the end-a detailed cook book on examples one can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Id say for the skeptical readers, read it first. Read it all (thank God it is a good read too, so it shouldnt take long). I guarantee after you are done you will feel energized and in control because for once you will know what your body needs, you will learn to recognise tell-tales of indigestion or just wrong combination eating and you will work towards creating a healthy lifestyle suitable for you.

A mental note, exercise exercise exercise. It doesnt work any other way-this book is about creating a new start and a new lifestyle. Best of luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great diet plan,but presented awkwardly., 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fit For Life (Paperback)
The concept of the book is great. A balance of eating( fruit fasting almost) with fruit (2- 4 pieces)/fruit juice ( up to 14 oz.) for breakfast and snacking on fruit when hungry between 8a.m. and noon. Vegetables (salad)/vegetable juice for lunch, and then more veggies/salad/meat for dinner. You can snack on fruit 3 hrs. after a lunch/dinner without meat and 4 hrs. with meat. Dinner may be a ton of veggies, but only one cooked component, so no meat and potatoes or pasta with meatballs, just meat and steamed veggies and salad...but you may have a large and filling portion of salad/veggies. The most difficult part for myself was to refrain from having coffee/caffeine until after noon; still, at least I can still have it.
I gave 4 stars because of the lay out of the books material. I would like for the book to have a quick start guide/quick reference of the basic concepts of this eating plan. It has the eating guidelines and tips interwoven throughout the chapters. I read the book and tagged the pages that were pertaining to the concept of the diet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa0a4e240)

Fit for Life
Fit for Life by Marilyn Diamond (Hardcover - Mar 2002)
Used & New from: 0.68