4.0 out of 5 stars Some people have missed the point...
Published on 4 Jun 2004 by Beki

1.0 out of 5 stars Teen Witch is Teen Trash
I have been in the Craft for 26 years and rarely seen a book that bothered me more.
Published on 24 Oct 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Some people have missed the point..., 4 Jun 2004
Beki "beki166" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
Teen Witch isn't for late teens - far from it Which is why I think a lot of people have missed the point of this book entirely. I bought it for my daughter when she was 10, and at that stage, working with me, it fitted the bill better than any other book on the market at that time. Of course she's outgrown it now, and yes 15-16 YO wannabes will pick it up and not learn from it - mostly because they dip into it, rather than read the whole thing and do the exercises.
For worried parents I have no qualms in recommending this book, it shows that there is a code of ethics behind this belief system. I would like to add that this particular version of that code of ethics isn't universal in Pagan/Wiccan circles, (remembering that there isn't much that can be considered universal to Paganism at all) and that this author is generally considered to be dealing in the fluffy end of the subject. I feel that there are far worse authors out there, and that any book on the subject should be taken with a) a healthy amount of scepticism and b) a dollop of common sense.
I have been a Pagan for 18 years, I am a parent and (I hope) am reasonably sensible, if insane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does the age & design matter?!, 13 Nov 2006
Okay,

So I've looked over the past reviews and some of you have picked up on the aesthetics rather than the whole point of any witchcraft book... which is to teach and give you interest and insight so you then move on to other more advanced and varied subjects. Do we have that clear now?!

As for a review on this particular book:

I purchased this book when I was 12 years old and loved it. I went on to using it as guide even to this day! It's merely a reference now and I've moved on into developing my craft but it's amazing when I'm lost for ideas or want a style of spell I'll reach for Teen Witch.

Silver's books are so varied in style that they appeal to all ages and practices out there. There's no right on wrong with her work or spells. Some may not apply to all of us but then move past and focus on those that do.

I've enjoyed having someone when at the age of 12, who in their style of writing felt like my views and ideas where important that the information given to me was well researched and I was in safe hands being guided through out the book.

For parents who have found this book or are thinking of purchasing it. DO! It's the best teen book out there and is catering for all ages from 8+ and will give them the confidence and guidance they need when starting out. I know when I have children of my own they will be given this book.

For now the young teens I work with in my area have bought and loved this book also. Like me it'll always going to be close at hand and comfortable on my book shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners, not for the experienced!, 16 May 1999
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
This book is an excellent opportunity for people to learn about WitchCraft or for people who want to practice the craft. I don't know why people keep saying this book should be an embarrasment for Silver, you must remember that she's writing to a young audience and trying to appeal to a young audience, but she's not trying to be a role model or a teen idol, she's just putting WitchCraft in an easy to understand and appealing manner, but she's not sugercoating the religion either, like some people have been saying recently. She's presenting the facts of the religion, whether the reader likes them or not is their own choice. Although she wanders off the subject several times, she's just giving opinions, telling interesting stories, and telling how WitchCraft relates to everyday life. If you think she is talking down at the reader, that is just her style, if you don't like it, don't read any other books by Silver Ravenwolf. Others complain there are too many spells and most of them are folk spells. So What? If Witches have the power of spells, why not take advantage of this power, about the folk spells, remember that Silver is trained in Pow-Wow magick, she likes folk spells, they are easy for begginers to incorporate them into their everyday lives, and she knows them very well. Who cares if the spells have silly names, if the spells are done correctly even with some creativity on your part, they will work and these spells are one way to make your life a little bit more livable and easier for yourself. I reccomend this book for anyone wanting to know about WitchCraft or anyone wanting to become a Witch themselves or are wishing to Combine WitchCraft with their current religion such as Christianity. This is a good book for begginers, teens as well as older folk, but this book is not for advanced Wiccans, so I don't think it should be looked down upon because of it's lack of information in some areas, it just covers the basics of WitchCraft, which the book incinuates it will do, it doesn't go further in depth because it lets the reader decide if they wish to continue with their current religion, convert, or combine the two religions. Teen Witch: Wicca for a new Generation is an EXCELLENT BOOK!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Teen Witch is Teen Trash, 24 Oct 1998
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
This book has become the horror story pass-around book of our area. Besides daring to tell everyone what a witch is and isn't -- a fact that leaves out 99% of the practicing witches that I know -- the author doesn't even stick to her own opening statements and teaches spells that will have teens manipulating others' will and using spellcraft to avoid such simple things as just talking to their parents. She fosters that feeling of being misunderstood that most teens feel, leaving them with the mistakened idea that what she has to say is all of what witchcraft and Wicca is. I fear that some of these teens are are going to be hurt and confused when they try to take the ideals of this book into the real world.
My own son, who is 14 and been attendng circle since he is 7, calls this book a piece of crap. My mate says it sets up teens as fluffbunnies in a world of wolves and I fear she is right.
I rated this book a one star only because there is nothng lower. If you are looking for a book for your teenager, there are several good ones on the market, including SPELLCRAFT: A Primer for the Young Magican. Published by Eschaton, its ISBN is 1-57353-115-4. This book is so good that I made it the text for the teen circle I lead.
Elspeth Sapphire, HPS Children of the Wolf, Leader Sapphire Clan

1.0 out of 5 stars Appallingly Bad, 2 Nov 1998
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
This book is one of the worst pieces of "witchcrap" to have been produced from the dubious publishers at Llewellyn. First of all, it provides teenagers with a number of spells meant to be cast on teen rivals, bullies, teachers, and bus drivers, among others. This only serves to support the belief that Wicca is about seeking to harm or control others, and runs directly counter to the Wiccan Law "An it HARM NONE, do as thou wilt." It also contains blatant misinformation, such as the passage which claims that The goddess Diana is the daughter of Aradia, queen of the witches. That is tantamount to a Christian scholar saying that God is the son of Jesus. (Look up "Aradia, The Gospel of the Witches" on Amazon to read about this) That such a basic fact could be so very wrong in this book is simply astounding. The book also says that you cannot summon anything that you don't intend to, which is not only wrong, but potentially very dangerous. If you're looking for a good book on beginning witchcraft for young people, read "21st Century Wicca".
Elena Perez

1.0 out of 5 stars Ravenwolf has no business writing about Witchcraft!, 11 Jan 1999
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
Ravenwolf, the self-proclaimed most famous witch in America, has no business witing about witchcraft, a subject she knows nothing about! Every book of hers I have reveiwed is full of mistakes and falshoods. She has no concept of right and wrong and her interpretation of the Wiccan Rede is pathetic.Beginners would be better off reading Buckland or Cunningham!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful on the subject on the wiccan religion., 5 April 1999
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
SilverRavenwolf is one of the best known and intelligent Wiccan writers of our time. By writing TEEN WITCH, she gives the teenage witch a better view of the religion. It is a very helpful resource to a teenage witch. It gives the basic info of the religion, stories, such as the Creation Story- The Lord and Lady, rituals that many can do, along with spells, prayers, and different types of magick we can practice, and other helpful advice. This book helped me vastly. I would recommend it to anyone, especially confused teenage witches, like myself. If you are a teenage witch or are a beginning witch, this is an ideal book for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Silver Fluffbunny and the Cotton Candy Craft, 17 Oct 1998
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
Although the pagan community has indeed often looked down on teens, and though little has been written specifically for them, I still feel this book has been a tremendous letdown.
Silver RavenWolf concerns herself very much with the toys of the craft and very rarely actually gets to the meat of the thing. So many teen pagans, thanks to books like this one, will speak about negative psychic entities and where they went in the astral the other night and who they met and about the ashtray that exploded mysteriously in their bedroom the other night, and about the psychic shields that they have up around their friends. In my own limited existence, I have never heard a single confirmed report of anyone being harmed by a evil spirit, or needing a psychic shield. And until I do hear one, I'll remain quite cynical when it comes to that.
It's too bad that the very first teen witchcraft book has been written in this way. Hopefully, those in the future will have more substance. - Roland WordStone

1.0 out of 5 stars Mama Silver What happened?, 11 Jun 1999
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
This book was terrible. I think that it was one of the most funny books I have read. Mama Silver wrote a book that is going to make the Craft look like a TOY. We already have enough mixed-up teens that think they are witches. (Just because they read one book, they are witches, or the see the movie the Craft.) This book makes the Craft turn out as a joke. What is it with the spells, "Don't Call Me Spell" or "Doodle Bug Love Spell" The spells are making Wicca a joke. Mama Sliver also talks to you as if you are a 9 year old. Mama a little self-centered? "ONE OF TODAYS MOST POPULAR WICCAN WRITERS" Hello? please, next time don't write a book.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am highly disappointed., 20 July 1999
This review is from: Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation (Paperback)
Silver Ravenwolf needs to not watch "The Craft" so much. "Teen Witch" cheapens the Wiccan faith, and turns it into what so many people have accused it of being: a self-serving, manipulative practice, and not a legitimate path of spiritual enlightenment. One section actually read "How To Make Your Parents Think Your Choice Is Okay", in not so many words. The audacity of it struck me dumb. She took a faith that so many people, myself included, take seriously and live their lives by. This book only talks about casting spells on people to satisfy teenage desires. Don't buy this book, unless you looking for fuel for a bonfire.

Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation
Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation by Silver RavenWolf (Paperback - 17 Sep 1998)