on 7 November 2008
When it comes to such a diverse subject as Wicca you aren't going to learn it from one book or teacher. You will have to think about what flavour of Wicca you want to practice whether it be ceremonial, hedgewitchery, Gypsy/Folk Magick and so on....... But the real 'trick' in practicing magick is focused intent backed up with reinforcing corresponding componants which enable you to create the magick!

Silver's books are very informative and very rigid in teaching resulting in the actual beauty and essence of magick being lost. I have learnt a huge amount from her having started off on my path with Silvers books but when it came to actually living it and mastering it I was at a loss, something was missing or too restrictive.

This book can teach you huge amounts of information concerning wiccan practice but if you wanna try and put it all together in your head you will be lost and therefore dependant on just using Silvers rituals and spells. The real magick is in you and not in adhereing to specific guidelines and ritual formats!

She encourages to be flexible and design your own spells and rituals and yet she says you have to do it within certain 'must comply' guidelines. I find that the very essence of Magick is lost in technical know how.

If you want to experience and master the beauty of magick you I recommend Patricia Telesco and more specifically her little book 'Goddess in My Pocket' which, with prior knoweldge of wiccan practice will set you off on your magickal way with ease and fun in no time!
on 15 August 2000
Silver is a very strict teacher! She has a way of making sure yu do one bit before going on to another and it's almost as if if you skip an exercise, she'll know! Some might say this is too rigid, but it makes your studying thorough and Silver makes it v. enjoyable. I only wish I could have been trained by her face to face! But her books are the next best thing. "To Stir.." is a brilliant follow up of "To Ride..." and moves you along gradually and at a pace you can manage.
Full of Silver's own Witchie friends and family, it's nice to read on a Sunday afternoon with a cup of mint tea. My favoutire chapter was the one on casting the circles. Silver definitely walks her talk. She's clever, strong and intelligent and this certainly rubs off on the reader!
Enjoy this book and cherish it forever!
on 28 December 1997
Please note my review of To Ride a Silver Broomstick by this author. Once again Silver RavenWolf's works have advanced my knowledge and capabilities in our magickal world. In fact, this book is excellant when used as a training guide for the more advanced practitioner. Great Blessings unto Silver RavenWolf for her effort in this book.
on 17 May 1999
Anton LaVey wrote, "Those who spell magic with a k aren't". Accordingly, there's nothing magical about this book. How many "Isn't Silver RavenWolf so funny and witty?" books do we need, anyway? She's another one of these misguided but influencial writers who equate witchcraft with Wicca. Well, I'm a witch but I am NOT Wiccan! And just what is this Oath we're all supposed to have taken? Gee, nobody told me there was an official Oath--let me stand up and salute. In sum, here's another book for those who like to be told what to think by books. Avoid it.
on 27 December 1997
Being long time solitary magick practitioner and wiccan for many years now. Silver RavenWolf's techniques/lessons in this book helped advance me much further, and much faster than I would have on my own. To Stir a Magick Cauldron is a excellant source for all levels of wicca.
This book is a continuation of her first book in the trilogy, "To Ride a Silver Broomstick". She really does put a lot of heart into her books, and even suggests works by other readers to help new witches learn and study the craft by incorporating the ideas of many wiccan authors.
She includes a lot of useful knowledge, and many key points that I still did not know after reading several books by other authors.
There is even a test at the back which I have found useful in training for my coven.
This book is for dedicated witches in their first, but more likely second year of study (intermediate).
on 28 June 1999
In this book, Silver is always saying, "before you do this or that, make sure you've done a dedication ritual so the universe will know who you are." What's up with that? The Goddess made you, she should know who you are whether or not you've "dedicated" yourself. We are all the Goddess's children, so we don't need to dedicate ourselves to Her. But besides that, the planetary hours and symbols and stuff were pretty good.
on 22 December 1998
As Head of House of HELIONS - a non-devotional magical school in Scotland, UK I feel that this book presents as suitable for your average 12 year old: I found it too simplictic for adult reading. For those of us who view Pagan practice as a way of life and NOT a religion, this book is just too 'sugary' for words; for example Silver Raven Wolf's descriptions of Deities - they really aren't that fluffy and 'twee'. In Helions we view Deity as something for which we have great respect, but not to worship. (Rather like our electrical supply - it is wise to treat 240 volts with great respect, but I wouldn't fall upon my knees in front of the socket and worship it !!! ) This book takes an almost soppy approach full of love and devotional worship to point that would make your average adult somewhat queasy !! For those of you out there who find witchcraft scary, then this is the book for you. The rituals lack so much 'punch' and energy that you would be struggling to get any spell off the ground - in fact it's so 'safe' that you probably wouldn't be able to do anything at all !!!! A good book for a child starting out but too childish for an adult.
on 7 August 1998
To Stir A Magick Cauldron is an excellent continuation of her first book To Ride A Silver Broomstick. This book is for those of first degree and intermediate to advanced practitioners of witchcraft. The solo witch will find this as an amazing guide to magick. I have had this book for a while now and I refer to this book often times (sometimes just for the humor). I see many people after they finish To Ride A Silver Broomstick say, "What and where do I go now?" I always tell them, "You know Silver has a book for people in your position that wish for more training, go out and get it right away!" This book is highly recommended if not just for the information, but for some of the humor she adds in.
on 8 October 1997
The book is wonderful, Silver Ravenwolf writes her novel with care and common sense. I love her personal stories and eclectic viewpoints. However, if you are a beginner, I'd recommend reading her first novel (To Ride a Silver Broomstick) and other Wicca 101 books first. This book wasn't intended to cover Wicca beliefs and basic viewpoints, but to further studies in magick.