5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Aircooled Owners
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by Nick

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating and overrated
Seriously, everyone in VW circles raves about this book. I don't understand why. All I want to know is what gap my tappets should be set to and not have to read an entire discourse about the history of tappets. I much prefer a "this is what you do and this is how you do it" approach rather than a narrative and discussion. Maybe the more novice enthusiast might...
Published 8 months ago by Ross Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Aircooled Owners, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot (Paperback)
This is essential reading for all owners of air cooled VW's it is a very entertaining read in its own right but the clear procedures make it worth its weight in gold. I've been working on my own VW's for over 20 years and this is the best of the non factory manual books(eg Haynes, Autobooks etc) I've used. The diagrams at first glance may seem a bit lacking in detail as they are hand drawn illustrations but they just show the parts you are working on and so not confusing you with complex photos and therefore are very easy to understand and follow.
I've saved the cost of this book many times over following the straight forward instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps my volkswagon alive!!, 13 Jun 2009
Paul Cristian Tyler (UK) - See all my reviews
A must buy book for people who find the Haynes a little too technical. It really does help if you don't have a basic mechanics background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent First Book!, 17 Nov 2008
Andrew Dixon (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a smashing first book for anyone owning a VW T1 > T3. The book is written in plain English with a smidgeon of humour. Covers all the basics that the Haynes manual glosses over. It *is* dated and some part are obviously not to be taken as gospal but overall I'd thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars how to keep your vw alive, 15 Jan 2012
this book is just what we need to keep our old beetle on the road, with easy to read and follow instructions as well as tips that you dont get in all the other books, i wish we had found it long ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 20 Jan 2010
L. Varley - See all my reviews
This was bought as a gift after I read a recommendation on the website of a couple who had driven the length of Africa in their camper. Neither of us are mecahnics or technical minded, but that doesn't matter. The book is easy to follow and has clear instructions and diagrams. It was originally written in the 60's or 70's, but don't let that put you off because the VW's haven't changed since then anyway. If anything I find that reassuring because it shows that you don't need modern tools and gadgets, which aren't always readily available. This book will probably turn out to be our best friend when we go off on our adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For An Aircooled VW owner, 28 Nov 2012
Although my copy has now many oily hand prints all over it this book is brilliant. It helped me learn about my camper and helped do some of the essential maintenance.

Well written and illustrated a great book

5.0 out of 5 stars In depth yet simple enough to understand, 15 Aug 2012
Bought this book based on previous reviews and when I first opened it was unsure of my wisdom as it seemed very Beetle-biased.
However; on delving deeper this tome is a magnificent piece of technical writing without the jargon.
It covers Beetle and Bus and gives step-by-step instructions for fault-finding and repair including exactly which tools you'll need to each job but more importantly which tools and spares you shouldn't go anywhere in your bus or Beetle without!
All-in-all a very, very useful book and one to have to augment the usual Haynes-type manual.
Yes the writing is a bit dated (70s) but so's my Bus! The language was a little different back then and yes, I can still dig it.
If you have a Beetle or a VW bus do not think twice - buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars the true bible of volkswagen, 19 April 2011
i am just a novice who occasionally was allowed to tinker or help my dad with his type two bus. since then i have slowly build my engineering skills and have now set upon my own project. this book includes all you could need for beetle, split, bay and t25(only some is relevant to t25 as models vary) i find the book interesting and educational and it has proved its worth. a well worth buy for the v'dub enthusiast. !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to have, 14 Jun 2014
Have found this book to be very useful, however being American it can on occasions be confusing. Overall it is very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 29 April 2014
Good book helpful very funny ,but it would be nice to see illustrations to get a picture of what they describing or working on .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›