5.0 out of 5 stars VERY AUTHENTIC!!!!!
Published on 8 Jan 2004 by Mimi

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not without its faults.
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by N. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY AUTHENTIC!!!!!, 8 Jan 2004
I've been trying to find a good Portuguese cook book for such a long time, it's not so easy to find here in the UK. Growing up in a house with a Portuguese mother and alot of traditional Portuguese food being cooked...I've grown to love and appreciate the comfort of real Portuguese cookery. I've tried a number of the recipes in this book.. Clams Cataplana, Codfish cakes, Salt cod Gomes de Sa-Style, Shrimp Portuguese style, stewed chicken, roasted chicken with garlic, marinated beefsteaks and the traditonal Bean & Sausage stew (feijoada) and all have been delicious and very authentic, and reminds me of my visits to Portugal as a child and coming home from school to the smell of my mothers cooking. If your looking for what Portuguese food is really all about, then I would say that this is your book. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 18 Feb 2008
S. Rees - See all my reviews
hello,
im a total portuguese nut - love the place. been going back and fore there now for quite soem time. have always tried to get recipes etc for their magnificent food, but always failed
upon aquiring this book, i wasnt expecting anything special - how wrong was i? this is the most informative cookbook i have ever read. and the recipes are superb

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not without its faults., 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: Portuguese Homestyle Cooking (Hardcover)
My Madeiran girlfriend and I had been looking for a Portuguese cookbook as a present for me for some time. The recipes are authentic all right but the book has two major faults: 1. The quality of ALL of the photographs contained in the book (front cover excepted) is terrible (blurred, overexposed etc) and does nothing to make the food look even OK. 2. It has too many Americanisms - quantities measured in cups and quarts etc; varieties of potatoes (important ingredient in Portuguese cooking) which are not widely available in Britain (eg: Maine, Yukon Gold, Prince Edward Island, Red Bliss etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 3 Mar 2010
I'd been looking around for a little while for a good Portuguese cookery book written in English. All of the ones I'd picked up in bookshops and leafed through, seemed to contain overly complicated recipes of dishes I'd never even heard of. I've been living in Lisbon for over a year now, with a wonderful Portuguese family who are passionate about food. Everything is home-made (and lot of the fresh ingredients are home-grown) and I've eaten some of the nicest food I have ever tasted. I was a little nervous about ordering the book over the internet without having seen the recipes first, but the reason I chose this one is because the author has a Portuguese name (always a good sign!!) and the title was "homestyle". I am pleased to say that I am thrilled with it. It has every single one of the recipes in it that I was after, including soups and deserts, and it even has a recipe for Pasteis de Nata! The book is well designed in that the lay-out of each recipe means that it is clear and easy to follow, the book opens easily on a worktop and stays on the right page (well, the paperback one does anyway!) without the need for a weighted book stand, and it comes with some additional information about the ingredients, and Portuguese food and culture in general. I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is looking for recipes for traditional, uncomplicated but delicious Portuguese food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portuguese homestyle cooking, 11 July 2009
Mrs. S. Cookson (Preston, Lancs England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portuguese Homestyle Cooking (Hardcover)
Fab book. All the traditional recipes i was looking for can be found here with good pictures and clear instructions. The only problem I have now is which delicious dish to try next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Portuguese flavour, 28 Aug 2011
This review is from: Portuguese Homestyle Cooking (Hardcover)
This is an easy-to-follow cookery book with recipes that manage to be delicious and simple to prepare. Not only that, you can replicate at home food you have enjoyed in Portugal. It's also full of nice pictures. This is a book I am happy to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 23 Jun 2011
This book not only provides a huge variety of authentic home-made Portuguese dishes, all illustrated with beautiful colour photos, but it also gives information in the form of additional text on the use of certain ingredients and cooking techniques in Portugal. It is a colourful, interesting, easy-to-use and highly reccomended book for anybody wanting to try out some authentic Portuguese recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic flavours, 14 May 2002
By A Customer
Fantastic flavours, and an easy reading style - just love the roast pork with citrus juices, I wouldn't cook pork any other way now.
Unusual, and delicious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Portuguese cooking, 6 Jan 2010
B. Mulhall (Portugal) - See all my reviews
I have found this book very useful and often attempt some of the menus. Ingredients to be found here in Portugal can be a problem

Portuguese Homestyle Cooking
Portuguese Homestyle Cooking by Ana Patuleia Ortins (Hardcover - 1 April 2013)
Used & New from: £72.27