Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2003
Macros have come a long way from the days when all they would do was re-run keyboard input. Word Basic got dumped after Word 2.0, and got replaced with the far more powerful, and a lot less user friendly VBA. So, if you have struggled with moving over from Word Basic to VBA, then this book will be useful. It covers the essentials of the Word Object Model, and provides examples of some things you might want to do.
I was not overly keen on Roman's style of writing, which seemed to me to be a little condescending, and seemed to be talking down to me. Okay, so I am not VBA WOM expert - that's why I bought the book - but I don't need reminding of the fact! Sometimes Roman refers to me as "you" and sometimes the somewhat grating "we". At times I feel like a stupid kid!
For its shortcomings, this is actually a really useful book. It goes beyond the help files supplied with Word, and it does help open up the subject - something which someone who just wants to get the most out of the word processor might otherwise find a little inaccessible.
It covers the fundamentals of programming in a little under 70 pages in a very clear manner. Some things seem to be missing further in - maybe things which are not within the scope of the book - but I would have liked to be shown how to add a new floating toolbar with custom controls which I have created. The final polish for VBA applications.
And some really important stuff is mentioned almost as an aside such as "referencing a project".
Word Macros are far more than "macros" - and this book goes a long way to help users of Word get the most out of it.
on 5 January 2001
I bought the book after starting a VBA project with a beginners guide (Word 97 Macro & VBA Handbook) and getting rather frustrated with the WOB. I found that the book moves fairly quickly through the basics, but then explains the Word Object Model to a greater depth, and more importantly, how to use the key components of the model. This I found particularly useful. The Excel and PowerPoint additions were most helpfull , if a little on the light side (One Chapter). I have found the book to be an invaluable reference for my work, especially the supplied Object Viewer to help in navigating the WOB. I believe that this is a must have for any VBA developer.
on 12 August 2000
I've been developing applications using Visual Basic for Applications for a few years. I have used the Office VBA Help files and Macro recording to delve into the innards of VBA. This book has provided a great insight to the object model and my understanding has been enhanced. Although it didn't give me all the answers on its pages, it showed where and how I could solve my problems. The information given crosses into Excel and PowerPoint. Good book, well written and certainly value for money.
It continues the excellence found in all the O'Reilly books
on 10 June 2016
QUALITY
on 4 June 2013
This book is about VBA and not about Macros.
Even when it is about VBA it quite often contains a list, with not much explanation.