5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book & start learning Debian Linux!
Published on 7 Jun 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars not good enough
Published on 13 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars not good enough, 13 Sep 2000
This review is from: Learning Debian GNU/Linux (Paperback)
I'm an experience Linux user, having tinkered with ever-friendlier distributions of the OS since '95. I am also a fan of O'Reilly publications. I picked up this book with a boxed Debian set and was grateful for its occasional gems, but frustrated by its more frequent irritations---both on my own behalf and on behalf of the many newbies who I am sure will be put off Linux for good by this sketchy volume.
I hope my prejudice against suits isn't colouring my judgement here, but the author's admission that he has a degree in "Management Information Systems" may explain why Learning Debian GNU/Linux is such an inadequate technical primer. I don't mean that it lacks geeky detail, I just mean that it just doesn't tell you enough to get Linux up-and-running easily on a lot of hardware out there and/or adjust the installation in the most basic ways once you have.
Debian has many advantages, but it is not the distribution I would recommend to a newcomer. If (s)he is determined to use Debian and follow the purist, Free Software Foundation route to Linux "Nirvana" this is not the book I would recommend as spiritual guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed by this book, 8 Jan 2000
This review is from: Learning Debian GNU/Linux (Paperback)
I have to say that I was disappointed by this book. In the past, I have always been extremely impressed by the 6 or 7 O'Reilly titles which I've so far purchased. Sure, this book is produced to the same high standards and is, as ever, eminently readable. The book is also well structured and the content superbly explained. However, it appears to have been rushed into print and I get the impression that the adaptation of the content from the other book by the same author, "Leaning Red Hat Linux", has not been done completely. For example, there are references to using features such as the "pico" editor which are provided with other distributions but not on the book's CD Rom.
In fact, all of my disappointment stems from the fact that the CD Rom does not provide the reader with everything he or she needs, as is claimed on the cover. There is software missing which the book discusses installing, most notably the Gnome and WIndow Maker packages, and any new user would be left extremely bewildered as to whether they were themself at fault when they cannot install the graphical desktop interface.
I did check with the publisher that I had received the latest CD Rom, which they duly confirmed. However, to be fair to O'Reilly, they also pointed out that they themselves do not put together the CD Rom. It is, nevertheless, annoying not to be able to complete everything described in the book.
I would still recommend this book as I learned a great deal from it in a very short time. However, do be prepared to have to find some of the source packages from elsewhere unless an updated CD Rom is provided with your copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY BAD COMPANY TO DEAL WITH THEY ARE CROOK, 2 April 2013
VERY BAD COMPANY TO DEAL WITH THEY ARE CROOK
The book was supplied without the CD, which I informed to them via you as yet no reply.
Can I have my money back.
Please let me know the outcome.
Samir

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book & start learning Debian Linux!, 7 Jun 2000
This review is from: Learning Debian GNU/Linux (Paperback)
New to Linux? Want to Learn the original GNU/Debian Linux? This book would be the best place to start with! As you learn more from it, you will know the culture of learnig Linux - where to get help and further resources. It will point you to the right direction! One thing I like this book is that its language and context is easy-to-understand, really user friendly! Plain English, well structured, organised and written. An enjoyable read! When you become a more experienced Linux User, you'll probably find yourself spending more time with the Linux box & on-line resources, rather than with a book.

Learning Debian GNU/Linux
Learning Debian GNU/Linux by Bill McCarty (Paperback - 11 Oct 1999)
Used & New from: 1.33