on 21 April 1997
This is apparently the best Perl book I have ever read. It is a complete counter of what the heck we are doing with perl, or at least trying to do with perl. Get one if you don't have one yet. Having this, it is hard to imagin what else they, Larry, will come up with next.
on 10 October 1997
I already knew C and learned the basics of Perl from SAMS 'teach yourself PERL5 in 21 days'. I missed a description of the gory details and found it in this book. Great for both reference and learning details of PERL, explained short and skillfull with much humor.
on 17 August 1998
This book has absolutly everything you'll need to know about Perl. The only other book I would recommend is Learning Perl from O'Reilly. I develop CGIs for a job, and this book is an invaluable reference. I have been much impressed with this book. BUY IT! =)
on 23 March 1998
This book really told me what I needed to know when I went to it for a reference, but if I didn't know the language already, it would have taken longer to learn than using Learning Perl. Great reference book, but not a great teaching book
on 1 July 1998
This is definitely one of the best programming books I've ever read. It's very useful to learn the language (well-written in an early-90s underground-programmer style) and it's also great as a reference once you know the language too.
on 13 January 1998
As with all O'Reilly books, Programming Perl is an excellent publication. The Camel, as it is known, is written for programmers who are experienced. Larry, Tom and Randal do an excellent job with this absolutely necessary piece.
on 7 December 1999
I used this to teach me the Perl language and how to apply it. So far it's proved invaluble as both a guide and a reference to the language. this book is a must have for anyone thinking of or actively using Perl.
on 25 June 1998
great reference manual...it is all there, everything you need to know, if you can't find it, you don't know enough about perl to even be looking for it i would suggest the learning perl book for beginners though.
on 27 October 1998
This book is AMAZING!!! It teaches you the most used and common parts of perl, as well as all the little tid-bits. It goes amazing with Learning Perl, and introduction to perl.
on 22 December 1999
As an occasional programmer, this book is my reference. Unlike many other O'Reilly programming books, here it is easy to look-up forgotten commands and detailed explanations.