5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those serious about theology

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor product for a captive audience
Published on 26 Feb 2008 by Oliver Lea

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor product for a captive audience, 26 Feb 2008
Oliver Lea "Oli Lea" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ante Nicene Fathers: 10 Volumes (Early Church Fathers) (Hardcover)
I bought this because it is the only complete series of the Ante-Nicene Fathers currently available in English. Whilst I am very pleased with it simply on the merit of what it is - a goldmine of patristic resources - I have been shocked at time by how this 19th century Protestant version is affected by bias. Complete passages have been omitted from certain books (notably First Clement). The missing passages generally favour Catholic interpretation. The footnotes and introductions are also notable anti-Catholic.

What's more, being a very old translation, it has been superceded for the most part by more recent scholarship. So really one would only buy and use this series for lack of a better alternative. (I have heard that newer translations of the whole series are being made, however...)

This is not a good source for the unbiased reader, however, it's currently all that's on offer. For casual reading, I'd start with "Early Christian Writings" from the Penguin Classic series, and for a fuller treatement, try Volume 1 of William Jurgens's excellent "Faith of the Early Fathers", which deals with the ante-Nicene period.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those serious about theology, 17 Dec 2012
I suspect many Clergy especially of the protestant Faith are woefully lacking in any real knowledge of the Fathers – hence the sad but slow but sure capitulation to the Liberal elite. These volumes are an affordable library of the writings of the Fathers – and in some ways I wish I could have afforded them at the beginning of my work as a full time Parish Priest – not in my last five years!

Ante Nicene Fathers: 10 Volumes (Early Church Fathers)
Ante Nicene Fathers: 10 Volumes (Early Church Fathers) by Alexander Roberts (Hardcover - 1 Jun 1994)
Used & New from: £114.96