4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read.
Published on 18 April 2013 by claire rule

2.0 out of 5 stars More memoir than the title suggests
I bought this thinking that it was an interesting study of different ways of parenting around the world (as the title would suggest). I'm three chapters in but so far the bulk is a memoir of the authors own parenting and lots of facts about her own daughter rather than the non-fiction book that I was expecting. Not as informative as I had hoped.
Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by M. Munro

2.0 out of 5 stars More memoir than the title suggests, 29 Jan. 2013
M. Munro (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm: And Other Adventures in Parenting (from Argentina to Tanzania and Everywhere in Between) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read., 18 April 2013
I was sent this book to review and i am pleased i was. It is an easy to read look at how other cultures deal with parenthood. The tone of the book is chatty and comes from the personal point of the author and the way she parents her daughter. It never feels too judgy and i really enjoyed reading about how other cultures deal with the everyday issues that most parents have at some point or another. What was pleasant was that it didnt feel like a parenting manual telling me how i was doing everything wrong or right it was merely telling stories from around the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hows Eskimos Keep their babies warm, 16 April 2013
A really interesting look into how other cultures parent. As with any parent the tales of their child comes into it but some truely amusing anicdotes I thought. Gives a really good insight into different aspects and maybe one or two things to be learnt from it. Definaely worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars How Eskimos Keep their Babies Warm - A Brilliant Read, 18 April 2013
A brilliant insight into how other cultures approach babies and raising children. Well written with the perfect balance of humour that allows the reader to discover so many different practices - allows the reader to question when it comes to raising children is western always best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read, 9 April 2013
This book gave me an insight into other cultures ways of bring up children and gave me some tips and ideas that I could incorporate within my own parenting. I picked it up to just scan read and then ended up reading a chapter whilst standing in the kitchen! Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parenting Sense and Sensibility, 9 April 2013
I always wonder about parents who struggle with parenthood, and need instructions. This is a nice look at parenting methods of sensible parents around the world. Common Sense approaches to dealing with your babies in different cultures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 18 April 2013
The book was very enjoyable. I am a mother of a toddler, so it was nice to see how other cultures look after their children. I liked the fact that it is not strictly a parenting book, but it also talks about cultural differences.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reinforces acceptance of different ways of raising families, 17 April 2013
Lovely book and easy to read. Highlights views from across Europe on different styles of raising children. Nice to read different positive views on raising children as part of the family and seeing them as a welcome part of it

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting factoids., 9 April 2013
I was initially very skeptical because the author spent so much time justifying her own parenting choices, which is not what I was hoping to find. However the amount I've learnt about child rearing in other cultures has left me spouting out excerpts to my friends because it is genuinely interesting.
I wish people would become more widely read about such matters and not just live by one book and one persons opinions (e.g. The appalling Gina Ford phenomenon).
Have passed on and recommended the read to friends and will be practising some new ideas on my next child.
I like a book that makes me think about toying with the accepted norms of today's society!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, 16 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book, my kids are no longer babies or toddlers so I read it out of interest rather than advice. The variation between cultures was fascinating, along with the different ideas of parenting, it made me realise that we sometimes make things harder for ourselves in order to be parenting as we think we are expected to and don't let our children experience things as they happen. I found this book to be just as much about cultures as it was about parenting and feel that it would be just as interesting to someone without children.