5.0 out of 5 stars A visual, tactile and intellectual feast from beginning to end, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: French Dirt: The Story of a Garden in the South of France (Paperback)
A friend recommended this book to me about a New Yorker who took on a garden in southern France some years ago and I have to say that to begin with I thought, 'Same old, same old..'

I was to be delightfully surpised though. Not only is the book itself a treat---with a beautiful jacket and luxuriously high quality paper---but the story of Mr Goodman's trials and tribulations both in the French dirt itself and in the dirty business of local politics/foreign relations, interspersed with memories of his childhood in Virginia was so engaging, it left me longing for more.

This would make a wonderful film and should easily have been successful as Peter Mayle's Toujours Provence. A perfect Christmas gift for any gardener, traveller or Francophile. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Story of an adventure of the soil!, 22 Jan 2014
lovely story about an American's year spent in rural France. He finds friends and learns about the people around him by "working hard". He then creates a garden on a piece of land he asks to use. What he plants is far beyond produce its life and love. loved the book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time, 6 Sep 2013
This sounds exaggerated but I can honestly say that with a near lifetime's reading behind me, this is my favourite book. I'm reading it for a third time and finding yet more to enjoy. It is a love story at two levels - with a place and, though he plays it down, a woman.

Goodman is s modest, affectionate personality who wonderfully conveys the pleasures and pains of living in another culture and making relationships there. Almost fitting in but not quite. Loneliness and awkward moments as well as delights.
But his passion for the earth and growing things , the weather and landscape , is so richly and imaginatively evoked. He is a teacher of Creative Writing living in New York and I believe his other books are New York based - probably just a s rewarding in their own way but not so near to my heart.

A modest masterpiece. In many ways he reminds me of a happier, more generous Edward Thomas as he emerged in my own work*A Conscious Englishman - also one who found meaning in gardening and in encounters with working rural life.

French Dirt: The Story of a Garden in the South of France
French Dirt: The Story of a Garden in the South of France by Richard Goodman (Paperback - 25 Feb 2005)