on 27 December 2003
This is an exquisite book, that is beautifully written. It spares the usual gay lit cliches and deals with a lot of issues that most gay men have to manage through. Parts are very touching. Highly recommended.
on 5 October 1999
Well all I can say is that everyone should read this book. I read it in a day and I just didn't want it to end. It is never mawkish. It just fills the reader with hope. Ford and Dan should become gay literature's golden couple. love wins through inspite of heartache, disappointment and fear. Read it and weep. Literally.
on 2 January 2005
I agree with every word written by the previous reviewers. I discovered Jim Grimsley when a friend urged me to read "Dream Boy" (highly recommended, by the way); I enjoyed it so much that I just had to get hold of more of Grimsley's stuff. The result was that I bought "Comfort & Joy" at the beginning of 2004. I've read it twice so far - the second time just before Christmas - and I can't praise it highly enough. The characterisation is so vivid: I really do feel that I KNOW (and love) Dan and Ford and that I could almost step into the pages of the story and talk to them. Grimsley makes me care about them passionately. I want them to stay together forever. I was particularly touched by the Christmas that Dan and Ford spend with Dan's family. So much emotion - and so skilfully handled by Grimsley.
Like other reviewers I was consumed by the story and yet I didn't want to finish the book; so, silly as it might sound, I actually tried to slow down my reading to make it last longer! I'd certainly love to see a sequel. As it is I've been recommending "Comfort & Joy" to all my friends.
Graham O
on 15 July 1999
Grimsley has given us a superb, tender and genuine portrayal of homosexual love with its pains, fears, struggles and ultimate hope of fulfilment: all of this very powerfully written. Dan and Ford are flesh and blood and what you see is what you get. Well almost for the characters reveal themselves slowly and with great agony of soul. Especially so for Ford the rich intern from Savannah who struggles,fears and torments over his love for Dan. And the reader agonizes with them. Fictional or real these people are a gift to those whose lives they touch. I found myself yelling and screamng for Ford to seize the day and Dan to deposit the money issue at the local bank. Thanks Mr. Grimsley! A wonderful piece of literature. Beautifully written indeed. I read it so fast I had to reread it in order to catch the flashbacks: all in three days.
on 23 November 2004
One word - fantastic. I really didn't want to finish this book, so I had to limit my reading to make it last longer! I'm really hoping that there is a sequal on the way, as I got so involved in the characters and storylines, and I just want to know that everything works out for Ford and Dan. I just seemed to be able to relate to everything. I only normally get this involved in EastEnders! Whilst waiting for a sequal I'll just have to comfort myself by re-reading the book. My advice - take your time and enjoy it!
on 5 December 2015
This could be mistaken for a hospital romance, which is its starting point and in some ways is what it remains, but in fact the book is a psychologically complex and deeply serious yet affirmative study of a love affair - utterly real, totally believable. The writing is perfect, with never a word too many and not an ill-judged phrase anywhere.
on 5 July 2004
Since I bought this book earlier this year I have read it four times. It is one of those books that every time you read it you discover something new, some new emotion or viewpoint. It is a story to touch anyone's heart, it certainly made me cry. I wish the author would write a sequel to this book, I so want to know what happens next to Dan and Ford.
on 11 September 2005
There's little doubt that Grimsley has a drippingly elegant turn of phrase, but there's only so many ways you can wrap up a contrived plotline about two characters which, by the end of the book, you really couldn't give two hoots about. Ironically the supporting characters in the book are far more rounded and understandable. This is a contrived piece of tear-jerkery and, all things considered, I'd have prefered to have stayed in that plush airport terminal bar at the beginning and let them get on with all their hand-wringing out of my earshot!
on 13 October 2005
try as i might i am finding this book hard going, the feeling that springs to mind is Mills and Boon, and far from being enveloped by ford and dan i just think i am turning into my mother head buried in a copy of mills and Boon with a 70's style picture of a handsome rugged doctor and dainty nurse on the front cover.
on 19 April 2005
if you only read the first few pages the book would appear rubbish, i thought so too- but read past that and its actually quite a good book. The relationship between dan and ford is endearing really, even if you do feel like slapping them on occasion.