4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but I had not expected so many pages, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Odyssey of Homer (Hardcover)
Excellent but I had not expected so many pages. My own fault. Heavyweight and a bit difficult to read in bed.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 16 Jun 2012
I studied this book in the original classical Greek as an undergraduate. I've not used my ancient Greek for many years therefore sadly I invested in the English translation. One for dipping into to remind me what a terrific story is told by the ancient poets - alos a bit of nostalgia when I read a chapter for my undergraduate days in Glasgow.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I long to be homeward bound" Simon and Garfunkel, 22 May 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Trojan War is over and one of our hero kings is lost. His son (Telemachus) travels to find any information about his father's fait. His wife (Penelope) must cunningly hold off suitors that are eating them out of house and home.

If he ever makes it home, Odysseus will have to detect those servants loyal from those who are not. One absent king against rows of suitors; how will he give them their just desserts? We look to Bright Eyed Pallas Athena to help prophecy come true.

Interestingly all the tales of monsters and gods on the sea voyage was told by Odysseus. Notice that no one else survives to tell the tale. Therefore, we have to rely on Odysseus' word.

Many movies took sections of The Odyssey, and expanded them to make interesting stories those selves.

Not just the story but also the way in which it is told will keep you up late at night reading.

The Odyssey

Troy (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)

The Odyssey
The Odyssey by Homer (Audio CD - 6 Aug 2012)
Used & New from: £17.29