5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, practical and relevant tips for any marriage!
Published on 14 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-meaning but problematic at times.
Published 20 months ago by Cynthia Danute Cekauskas, LCSW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, practical and relevant tips for any marriage!, 14 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This book gives an invaluable insight into the way your husbands mind works! The author takes an honest approach to married life and in 30 short sections guides you on how to pray practically for your man! I found this book amazing and noticed a change in both me & my husband. Stormie helps to put married life in a different perspective allowing us to pray instead of worry. Goodness knows marriage can be hard enough, this is a must for wives who want God to enrich their marriages, not just the ones that need some help. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every wife or wife-to-be, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
Stormie Omartian has covered, in my opinion, virtually every area that needs to be prayed for in the life of your husband. This is really a must for every married woman and every wife-to-be. It's really shown me that there is nothing you can't put to God in prayer especially when you are stand on the Word. The book is full of scriptures that are just adequate for the situations and it covers topics that one doesn't necessarily think about. When you feel you have prayed and you don't know what else to pray about, open this book!!!
It was a revelation to me and it took my prayer life to a different dimension. I found out that as I pray for my husband-to-be, I also know what to pray for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring, 11 Dec 2011
This book is fantastic! It gently introduces you to the secrets of married life and communication within it. This book made me more humble and truly changed my marriage! Highly reccomanded!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST have for wives that desires to honour their husbands, 11 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
Enlightening. Inspirational. Powerful. Spoken in truth and sincerity and deals with the core of what responibility taking is about. Absolutely refreshing to my mind, spirit, soul and heart. I have blamed my husband for so many things, and not affirmed him then use wisdom to speak to him. Applying the prayers and principles in this book WORKS!!!

My husband has noticed the difference and acknowledged the difference in my speech. My view of him has truly been transformed. I thank God for your life Stormie and Michael Omartian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Storming read!, 1 May 2009
This review is from: The Power of a Praying Wife (Paperback)
Stormie Omartian's 'Power of a Praying Parent/Husband' titles are both superb reads and this is too. Without ever being patronising, Stormie shares her life experiences with candour and warmth, and sets out an accessible framework for making praying for one's husband an integral part of everyday life. Highly recommended for all Christian wives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it years ago, 17 Mar 2009
I bought this book 4 days ago. I have found it so helpful. The book suggests reading through and praying through one of the areas each day, but I have found a strong desire just to keep reading and praying. I've read half the book, but have re-read and re-prayed through some particularly relevant pieces. Interestingly, my sister bought the book on the same day and has found the same. Without going into personal stuff, I believe that the insights and prayer coming from the book are transforming my marriage. My prayer is being answered - not because my husband is changing, but because I am being challenged to change and this enables him to change. God is at work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 July 2008
I am yet to finish this book, but whilst reading it as a wife to be it made me realise that yes the man is the HEAD, but WE are the neck. We are the ones to support him, and instead of trying to get him to change we ought to PRAY and support him, just as the neck supports the head, that is what I learnt one of my roles as a wife and a woman is to support the man.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every Christian wife, 26 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I picked this book up a couple of hours ago and I cannot put it down. There is nothing 'new' in this book, but it does bring together, in one very readable format, many profound truths that would really turn a marriage around. I have been married 15 years and I know that the truths laid out here really work; and a lot of it is hard work! I came on line because I borrowed this copy and now I want my own!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-meaning but problematic at times., 14 Nov 2012
In some ways this is a wonderfully written book. Just over two hundred pages in length it consists of thirty short chapters discussing topics having to do with the individual's husband i.e. 2. His Work; 3. His Finances; 8 His Fears. 16. His Priorities; 17. His Relationships, etc. I loved that the author concluded every chapter with a special Prayer for the husband related to the topic discussed. Along with that she quoted scripture in her Power Tools conclusions. That was a very nice touch and potentially useful for any loving wife praying for her husband.

Where I run into problems with this book is this: The author, like a number of individuals in the world seems to advocate a very negative approach in the wife's treatment of herself. As a professionally trained social worker who for years worked with families experiencing domestic violence I have, on a number of occasions had Ephesians Chapter 5 Verse 21 repeated back to me as justification for domestic violence. Those of you who are Christians are familiar with Verse 22 where it states: "Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church," All well and good and, if you are married to a truly good person, that is not a difficult thing to do. I, therefore, like when the author writes in Chapter 1: "Submission is something you give from your heart, not something demanded of you." Just pages later, however, the author takes a different turn and basically tells the reader what is REQUIRED of them as wives. THIS is where I take issue.

About halfway into Chapter 1 the author starts to take a stance which, in my opinion, is very anti-woman. Do not forget that in the same chapter of Ephesians cited above St. Paul tells husbands and wives to "Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ." I DO believe that this way too often gets overlooked. The author herself does a rather good job of it. She makes a rather definitive statement when she declares "I don't care how liberated you are, when you are married there will always be two areas that will ultimately be your responsibility:home and children. Even if you are the only one working and your husband stays home to keep the house and tend the kids, you will still be expected to see that the heart of your home is a peaceful sanctuary....On top of this, you will be expected to be sexually appealing, a good cook, a great mother and physically, emotionally and spiritually fit." I started to wonder at that point WHERE the author was coming from as there is nowhere in the Bible where such requirements are so rigidly delineated.

The chapter which I had the most difficulty with, however, was Chapter 4 His Sexuality. In this chapter the author seems to support the husband's "right to sex on demand." No matter that the wife has so many demands on her time and energy the author herself admitting: "...there are so many things screaming for her attention, such as raising children, work, finances, managing a home, emotional stress, exhaustion, sickness and marital strife" that she simply doesn't have it to give (because she is so busy being the "Super Woman" described above) the wife is supposed to "do something to make yourself feel attractive....take a shower or a relaxing bath. Put on a scented body lotion or his favorite perfume...Comb your hair. Wash your face and prepare it with products that make your skin look dewy and fresh. Put on lip gloss and blush. Slip into something you know he finds irresistible....While you're doing this pray to God to give you renewed energy, strength, vitality and a good attitude. Hopefully, when you're ready. your husband will find you were worth the wait." Excuse me, Stormie Omartian, but how sexist can you get? A wife can be as well-meaning, caring and supportive as can be but she is ALSO a human being and she gets TIRED. Realistically even with the most hearfelt prayers the possibility of her falling asleep as early as the relaxing tub bath and as late as, say (heaven forbid) in the middle of sex, is there and should NOT be ignored. To do so is simply being heartless to the poor, exhausted woman.

In this same chapter where the author insists that the wife make herself sexually available she does not have the same expectation of the sexually unavailable man. It seems to be OK for HIM to be tired, exhausted, unable to perform and provide for his wife's sexual needs but NOT for her: "maybe he's having deep feelings of failure, disappointments, depression and hopelessness that needs to be addressed." Well, maybe she does as well but that does not seem to matter to the author.

It is important to note that rather than exalting the authority of men over women St. Paul tells "Husbands,love your wives, even as Christ loved the Church and handed himself over for her..."....in other words, husbands must give their very lives for their spouses--they must sacrifice themselves and their own wills for the good of their wives and their families. Where has the author incorporated this in her book?

In conclusion even though this book has some merit and can be helpful in some areas of marital life, it seems to have an underlying theme advocating women NOT to take care of themselves and to totally sacrifice to their husbands placing themselves at risk for emotional, psychological and physical abuse. I would be very cautious, then, in recommending it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars For any woman aspiring to be an amazing wife - alongside her husband in faith!, 13 Oct 2008
Mrs. L. I. Fourie "LIF" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Once in a while you pick up a book that solidifies what you always knew about your role as a wife, but never knew how to apply to your life. I was recommended it through another writer (Denise Jackson's It's all about HIm), and as I opened it, it opened a world of possibility for me as a wife, and for my husband in the daily struggles men face. I am honored to be married to a mighty man of God, but even he needs me to come alongside in prayer and faith and lift him up to our amazing Father! After the first chapter and working through scriptures, it not only helped me better understand him and our loving Lord, but he could see a difference right away too! Test it, it definitely works!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Power of a Praying Wife
The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian (Paperback - 28 Feb 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01