5.0 out of 5 stars Let's not get too upset about typos...
Published on 2 Oct. 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy production, shrill tone
Incredibly botched production job. And reading Ellison's rants is like being trapped in the living room with your cranky, crazy uncle. Go outside and play instead.
Published on 8 Aug. 1996

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's not get too upset about typos..., 2 Oct. 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Edgeworks: Over the Edge v. 1: Collected Ellison (Hardcover)
I bought this book having read some other short "speculative" fiction by Ellison, and was disappointed to discover that only half of the volume is fiction, the other half being a series of non-fiction essays and articles. So, I worked my way throught the fiction, dreading turning the page into the boring non-fiction. But when I did... I was stunned, awed, delighted. Ellison's voice is that of an incredibly wise man. He has done more than just live, he has EXPERIENCED so much and so intensely that he can make us experience with him. From the seemingly trivial to the world-changing, Ellison's point-of-view from the heart of the story makes our emotions soar and plummet through the whole gamut of human experience. What comes through his writing is a sense of the man's awesome intelligence, sensitivity and down-to-earth level-headedness. After finishing An Edge in My Voice, I had to drastically re-evaluate my perception of Harlan Ellison as a writer. Despite his acclaimed skill with the short-story form (hardly challenged in recent decades by any writer in English), his superlative fiction is far outshone by the humanity of his non-fiction, whether amusing anecdote, thought-provoking philosophy or spleen-venting tirade. Everyone who considers themself a student of life should hear what this man has to say. So let's not get too upset about typos. Yes they're unfortunate, unnecessary, annoying, but some things are worth putting up with.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Edge on My Mind, 7 July 1998
By A Customer
Woah. I must be denser than concrete because all I noticed was the great writing Ellison puts on the page. The articles I found to be thought provoking in the extreme. If Ellison is a "crazy uncle" than he's one who's fought the good fight against the evils of society so long he needs throwing in the booby hatch. "Xenogensis" is the scariest essay on the issue of Sci-Fi (and I use the term cynically. I hate that phrase) fandom I've ever come across in twenty years of reading. Now thats not to say all of the essays are grand and stimulating. Rereading the book I often find myself skipping his more dated pieces. But despite what you may think of the man, you have to admit this: he's passionate about the work, and he'll dare anything SAY anything to make you feel SOMETHING about issues you'd rather just slink away from. He's got guts, and his articles show it. I'm a bit new to Ellison (I've only the first 4 edgeworks books) but from what I've read the man has passion. Reccomended. END

5.0 out of 5 stars White Wolf Reprints Ellison's Works... and Blows It...., 9 Dec. 1996
By A Customer
White Wolf sets out to reprint the major body of Harlan
Ellison's work. An admirable task, but apparently the
proof-readers took the day off. The material is great in
this, the first volume, as you would expect from the most
decorated author of our time. Harlan's voice is unique, and
it echoes in every page. I weep for anyone who misses this
book, yet let's hope that White Wolf takes a look at the
galleys before they go to press with volume two...

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Him its really Him, 13 Nov. 2013
Well Ellison is regarded as the writers writer and that is no mean feat, he has rubbed more people up the wrong way than Dick Chaney , well OK maybe that was an exaggeration. but he sticks it to the man and says it as it is... many essays , comments, witticisms and oh yes the odd story. This is Volume 1 of 4 unfortunately five were planned but five never came out , hey Ellison where did that sucker go. The Edgeworks is the last word on Ellison so buy them all if you understand where he is coming from, his SF works are out of this world, ha.ha no pun intended. I must recommend getting the Hardbacks as they are quite affordable on line and in some cases cheaper than the paperbacks, don't gripe if they have to be posted from the US, its a social thing, most people in the UK are not great SF readers and this has to be addressed big time, come on publishers bring out SF for kids and get them thinking again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of Harlan's work; full of typos, 5 Jun. 1996
By A Customer
This is a great collection of short stories and essays by
Harlan Ellison. If you are a fan, you will probably already
have read much of what is in the book, but this is your
chance to have your own copy. The An Edge in My Voice columns
have been updated with remarks made in 1996 which is a cool
addition.
I am very disappointed in the printing of this book.
There are numerous typographical errors throughout the entire
book. Considering that the goal of this series is to print
the definitive collection of his works the result is nowhere
near high enough quality. I hope this is remedied in
future editions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy production, shrill tone, 8 Aug. 1996
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy bad proof-reading get this book . . ., 7 Mar. 1997
By A Customer
White Wolf should be ashamed at the appalling number of
typos in this book. A very unprofessional job.

Edgeworks: Over the Edge v. 1: Collected Ellison
Edgeworks: Over the Edge v. 1: Collected Ellison by Harlan Ellison (Hardcover - 5 July 1996)
Used & New from: £2.83