5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Ho Ho - Happy Christmas Sewing !!!!
Published 14 months ago by AnnemarieS

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas sewing at its best
This book only has one overall product - but you could see how the individual elements can make different things, pictures etc. Think I might do the applique differently - there are plenty of tutorial on-line for alternative methods.
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by J. Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Ho Ho - Happy Christmas Sewing !!!!, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Welcome to the North Pole: Santa's Village in Applique (Paperback)
As soon as I saw the super-cute designs in this wonderful project-book I just had to give it a try, although I had never made a full-size quilt or tried needle-turn applique before. I have to say, I found it a massive undertaking, with 16 individual, hand-sewn blocks, each of which is actually a project in it's own right, and then quilting of the whole item, so it's probably not an obvious first-timer project. If I'd have appreciated the true scale of it before I began it may have put me off, but I'm so glad that I jumped in regardless, as I enjoyed absolutely every single minute of making this gorgeous wall-hanging.
The instructions are clear, there are good photos, and you can also find very useful video tutorials on all the key skills needed, by Becky Goldsmith on the authors' Piece O'Cake website - fantastic help! You can also simplify the whole project by using fusible applique and machine-stitching instead of needle-turn applique (which I used for some of the really tiny or awkward bits such as the window-panes)and still achieve a truly gorgeous result. There are also instructions for a smaller project using a selection of the motifs, and it would be really easy to just use individual blocks for smaller items. I have to say, I have had so much fun with this project, choosing all the wonderful Christmas fabrics to use, searching out fun embellishments to give the finishing touches, and personalising the buildings with family and special names. I also changed and adapted some of the buildings to make it more personal to mine and my family's own interests. The results from this book are truly lovely - if you search on images in Google, you'll find lots of examples of versions sewn by others, which I found a really good inspiration. Merry Christmas from The North Pole !!
P.S. A quick update - this quilt has just won "Best in Show" at my local village show, so if a beginner can do it, anyone can .. !

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely clear product, 3 Dec 2012
As a newby to applique I thought this may be a little adventurous, but clear instructions and pattern templates have been a godsend. Originally thought I would work on this project for next year but could be on target to have it done for christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas sewing at its best, 14 Jun 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmad Delight, 14 Dec 2010
This is a brilliant booklet full of quirky patterns that can be used to make the complete wall hanging or smaller projects.
Choice of fabric can add fun and sparkle to the project which children will love and adding their names to the shop names will personalise the scene.
A 'must have' for anyone with children or grandchildren!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such Fun, 12 Jan 2014
I have had this book on the past and given it away after making a quilt from the instructions. Now I would like to make another quilt such fun. Designs are easy to follow and make.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 5 Dec 2013
I was very pleased with the book, and it does give possibilities of adapting for different methods of appliqué, challenging!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Christmas book, 4 Oct 2013
The clear instructions can be used as individual projects or combined into one quilt. Useful book to inspire Christmas presents

Welcome to the North Pole: Santa's Village in Applique
Welcome to the North Pole: Santa's Village in Applique by Linda Jenkins (Paperback - 30 Jun 2008)