5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to meditation!
Published on 24 Feb. 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainly for those very serious about taking up meditation
Published on 3 Feb. 2009 by alextorres

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to meditation!, 24 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Insight Meditation Kit: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate (Spiral-bound)
I have found this pack to be a complete life saver over the last year. I have read through the whole book at least twice and read selected chapters over and over where they are particularly relevant and/or helpful. The CD has some excellent meditation sessions contained on it and the extras provided in this kit were such helpful reminders of the key points. When I feel I need to just sit and chill for half an hour, this is the first thing I turn to... and if things start to get on top of me, I recall some of the pearls of wisdom and things start to calm down and return to their proper perspective. I've not only recommended the pack to numerous other people, I have also bought it as a present. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 13 Mar. 2003
I have tried to get into meditation before and used various different kits and books with little or no results. This kit is both simple and effective. Most of all it works.
So far the approach for me, from previous kits has been wrong, this kit helps you see a bigger picture to meditation, allowing you to properly practice the art of meditation.
It goes into detail of you and your life that effect you when you meditate and vice versa. It puts you through the idea of practice benefits. Also, because you go through different levels/stages of meditation you grow through the workshop.
The book compliments the CDs and is not simply an add on. It really combines with the CDs for real benefits. The cards are also very useful as you go through the different levels as reminders/prompts since this workshop very much promotes practice. The most refreshing thing I found was that it isn't a chore, but a natural compliment to your life, and if you lead a busy life as I do this is a great way to help balance that out.
My only reason for not giving it a full five stars was the large amount of Buddisim in the book. Although much was very true and helpful, many might feel there is a large religous element to this workshop that may not be ojective to their own beliefs. My stance was to keep an open mind and at the end of the day you have your own beliefs, and this workshop can only compliment that.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS BOOK!, 22 Jan. 2004
richard stevens (birmingham, w mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a superb book/cd this is! If you have ever thought about meditation give this a go, you will not be dissapointed.
Each meditation is easy to follow starting at 20 mins and progressing. This may seem a long time to be sat still but, the time flies by!
Personally I have found that I am far less stressed, sleeping better, and I have a better view on life, and i've only had the book a few weeks!
All in all a terrific buy, I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calm in a Breakneck Society, 21 Mar. 2003
Finding that little bit of calm,peace and quiet in our lives,from the breakneck society we live in ,has arrived in the form of 'Insight Mediation'.
The authors,Salzberg and Goldman, have put together a a little box of peace, for those craving quiet and calm.
A comprehensive yet clear manual about Meditation, with Buddhist perspectives, is a joy and pleasure to hold, let alone read.Wonderfully written it expands on Meditation practice as you progress.
Together with the two CD,s containing six meditations,narrated with clarity and ease of listening,you also get 12 pocket sized 'Insight' cards to take with you wherever,and at anytime, reminding you of your practice.
A pleasure to own - Sit back,relax and enjoy !

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainly for those very serious about taking up meditation, 3 Feb. 2009
I have been looking for a beginner's guide to meditation for a long time and this book, although not perfect, probably comes the closest to fulfilling what I was looking for despite not being written, to my mind, for beginners. It is best suited to those who have done a little meditation practice and are ready to enrol on a serious commitment to daily meditation by dedicating at least one continuous hour to its practice.

It takes the committed reader through a series of meditation exercises both in written form and in the accompanying CDs and in order to get full value out of the book then these really do have to be followed closely - this is very time intensive so be sure you have the time to commit if you want to get full value for money.

If you don't have the time then, like me, you may still find use in the book as it is extremely well written, explaining in some detail and more clearly than I have seen before some of the fundamental concepts of Buddhism and the objectives of meditation. For this alone it is worth the purchase price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented, well thought out and a bargain, 7 Oct. 2003
I was very pleasantly surprised when I received this. You get a quite substantial cardboard box with a lid and velcro fastener. Inside is the book; glossy paper and a good quality spiral binding. Two pockets inside the lid house the CDs and the card pack. The CDs are contained in yet another pack which also has guide notes with it. It really is a well constructed audio-visual course in meditation that takes the practioner through the main types of meditation, but starting with the basic stuff. This course is based on Buddhist practise but could be followed by anyone. I just can't get over what a bargain this is!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver., 9 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
About six months ago I was under significant stress due to work and postgraduate course pressures. I wasn’t coping and life was really getting to me. So after reading a magazine article on meditation I decided to give it a go and purchased the Insight Meditation Kit.
Through the use of the kit and dedicated practice I have managed to gain control of my emotions. Though the work/course pressure is now off I still find meditation invaluable. I can now cope with many difficult situations without becoming flustered or stressed and feel generally more relaxed.
“Insight Meditiation” is the only meditation course I have tried so I can’t compare it with others but I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting off the mark " Beginners Meditation", 6 Jan. 2009
n hill "n hill" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Purchased in 2007 - My year long review into the Insight Meditation kit.

Having always wanted for some deep reason to learn meditation I felt I needed the guidance from someone or something. The something was the Insight Meditation Kit. I found the advantages of CD tuition easier to help build concentration and to know where to focus my efforts into the practice. Unknown to me at the time was the close link between meditation and Buddhism. The book and cards included in the kit give you information on meditation and Buddhism. This has helped me to realize the true potential of meditation and to the benefits of following the teachings of the Buddha Shakyamuni. The kit dose not preach Buddhism so don't think you have to avoid it if you already follow a faith. It merely gives you the opportunity to have the understanding to make a choice for yourself to be a better person through meditation and living a moral life. A year on, I can say that with the inspiration from the Insight Meditation Kit and my own efforts I have had definite improvements in my life. I cannot say what it has done for me it can do for you, but it will help give a greater view on the choices available to oneself when you become mindful through meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 19 Mar. 2008
I had tried learning to meditate through books alone and struggled badly. I found the CD that comes with this book an excellent way to get into meditation - the tone of voice used is so soothing.

The book adds so much more background and helpful information to assist and guide meditation.

I would not hesitate in recommending this to anyone interested in starting meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new starts!, 5 Nov. 2004
As someone who was interested in meditation this book provided me to actually try and suceed in meditation, when doing the exercices in the book you feel calm and fell alot better afer meditation. (for all religions) I found it really good personally as it helped me get away from my busy life style.

Insight Meditation Kit: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
Insight Meditation Kit: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate by Sharon Salzberg (Spiral-bound - 6 Sept. 2002)