5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use reference on the Knights Templar
Published on 22 Jun 2011 by Alan S. Glassman

3.0 out of 5 stars A relatively slim volume for an Encyclopedia
The Authoress has also written a book about the Knights Templar - as of course have many others.
Published 7 months ago by David Girling

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use reference on the Knights Templar, 22 Jun 2011
Alan S. Glassman "pleromata" (Lancaster, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knights Templar Encyclopedia: The Essential Guide to the People, Places, Events, and Symbols of the Order of the Temple (Paperback)
When Dr. Ralls asked me to submit a few of my past photos for inclusion in her latest book, I had no idea she was working on an encyclopedia of the Knights Templar. However, I was delighted to see and read the final product of her research. It is at once both an excellent reference about the Knights and an easily readable narrative of who they were, their historical activities, places, and symbols.

While I first found myself reading the book from cover to cover, I now use it to look up specific subjects relating to the Templars. I find the guide very thorough for that purpose, and, as an experienced traveler, I find especially valuable Appendix E, the Selected List of Templar Sites. While Dr. Ralls' Bibliography is quite complete, as an avid researcher I particularly appreciate her inclusion of a section on Recommended Reading of books and articles organized by subject.

Karen Ralls is no stranger to the study of the Order of the Temple. When I decided to travel 4 years ago to England, Scotland, and France to study the sacred architecture for which the Knights are responsible, I was told to contact Dr. Ralls. I found she had not only been past deputy director of the Rosslyn Chapel Museum exhibition, but that she had been lecturing on medieval history at Oxford University. And, that's where I met up with her.

Also being a stickler for accuracy and details, Karen and I talked the same language. I got many good tips from her on where to concentrate my efforts in my own search, and I subsequently enjoyed reading her book The Templars and the Grail. Keep in mind that all this was before the arrival of the Da Vinci Code novel and movie. Dr. Ralls put me way ahead of the game, so to speak, and was instrumental in encouraging me to follow through on my lecture circuit about the meanings behind the art, architecture, and symbols of the Templars.

The Knights Templar Encyclopedia is a fitting culmination of many years of scholarly work by a fine academic historian. As I have, I think you will find it an enjoyable read as well as a stepping stone to your own further quest for knowledge about the mystical Knights of the Temple.

While this book is a milestone in the efforts of Dr. Ralls, we certainly know it will be followed by many other significant contributions from her in this field of study.

3.0 out of 5 stars A relatively slim volume for an Encyclopedia, 28 Dec 2013
I do wonder if this Encyclopedia is based on her notes for the book, which would seem logical in the circumstances; or whether this slim volume was produced as a result of her endeavours whilst writing that book. I bought it as a present for a relative who is presently crafting a story involving the Knights Templar and I hope this Encyclopedia will be both of interest and a resource. DJG

5.0 out of 5 stars Knights Templar Encyclopedia, 16 May 2014
A small book, ideal for briefcase or handbag and easy to read. Like all encyclopedias each section goes on tho refer to another.

5.0 out of 5 stars knights templar incyclopedier, 1 May 2013
the book was informative and very entertaining in an historicle way and answered a lot of questions for me. it is great

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic reference book, 29 Nov 2012
i would definately recommend this book to anyone that is interested on this subject there are some amazing facts and the dates and reference to great

4.0 out of 5 stars Book content, 17 Jun 2012
M. Hunter (scotland) - See all my reviews
Very good for finding information, not a read cover to cover book. This is used by me for research and is good for that. It's not a book to read but to dip into for gaining information for research.

2.0 out of 5 stars KNIGHTS TEMPLAR, 15 April 2013
This product is not worth the money.
Nothing more than a base line book and should never be described as an encyclopedia.
There is much more on the internet for free.
Sorry not impressed.