5.0 out of 5 stars exellent
whoever put below 5 star as a review for this book is wrong it is too good a book to knock like that i would definatley advise people to buy this book above all others it is the best i have read and it is always with me when i read tarot
Published on 5 Oct 2003 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Good parts and Bad parts
Published on 29 Aug 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Good parts and Bad parts, 29 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This book will give you a good idea of what Connally was hoping to do with this deck. If you are reading with this deck, you may find some of the mentors helpful, though I think the court mentors are a bit weak. The exercises for becoming familiar with the energies of the different cards are also helpful. At the end of the book, she explains a few different spreads, which is helpful for beginniners.
I had a hard time getting over some of the religious overtones, as I am not Christian, and they tended to clash with my worldview. (Basically I rewrote all of her meditations.) Also, I disagree with her fundamental keys for the suits. Example: I have always seen wands as concerning spiritual matters, while she uses "enterprise and distinction" as the suit key. I also had some issues with her ideas about time and season cards.
I would strongly advise looking at a copy of this book prior to purchasing it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A nadir of New Age "instruction", 27 July 1997
By A Customer
Tarot itself is a fascinating field; unfortunately, many books written about it are appallingly simplistic, uninformed, and simply not helpful. This particular tome of folly was the first book on tarot I ever bought--it left a sour taste in my mind that drove me away from a blameless field for some years.

The "lessons" presented are absurd--pressing an unknown card to your "third eye" and solar plexus to attune oneself to the "energy" of the card; staring blankly at the card to "meditate" upon its meaning, etc. All of which is well and good, I suppose, if you happen to be "psychic." Call me a cynic, but most people simply aren't; drivel like this will either drive them away or, worse, simply confuse them. "I'm not feeling any energies! I must be doing something wrong!" Well, no, you aren't.

Connolly touches on links with Kabbalah--in a painfully uninformed manner. Readers who already *know*, even to a trivial degree, the historical development of Kabbalistic philosophy and symbolism, will feel their gorge rise. This is the kind of work that insults entire fields. Tarot is a rich ocean of symbolism that has evolved over the course of centuries--this reduces it to a shallow pond. And that's the worst part of all--books like this can catch people unawares, teach them that wading in muddy ankle-deep water is equal to swimming. It's not. Avoid this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Old.......and not all that good., 17 Jun 2009
This a thirty year old book (originally written in 1979), and its age shows. It should also have the word "Christian" in front of "Apprentice".

Well over half consists of Connolly's interpretation of the cards, including some bad rhyming couplets to (hopefully) aid your memory and a lot of worthless stuff about astrology, gnothology(!) and a bit of Hebrew.

There are a couple of messy and badly drawn charts and some meditations that might make you cringe : "I thank Thee, heavenly Father, for all Thy wondrous gifts ... for my home, and all my humble possessions..." etc. etc.

The Tarot, and magick in general, has come a long way since the seventies. Modern students might find Connolly's approach condescending. "Much as I would like to take take you further into Astrology, Gnothology and the Cabalistic correspondence of the Tarot I do not feel it wise to do so at this stage...." But, the student might well complain, I thought this was supposed to be "the Complete Handbook"?

There are more insightful, more modern, less religious, and better produced handbooks on the market. Avoid this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality Print, 29 Oct 2013
Poor quality print, looks like it's been scanned and then made into a book. I had one of these books years ago and it was much better quality with colour print too.

5.0 out of 5 stars exellent, 5 Oct 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it is the best tarot book around for the Beginner, 19 May 1999
By A Customer
I have studied Eileen Connolly books since 1983. They are the best tools for learning about Tarot. The meditations in the book are wonderful and I use them all the time. Her mentor help me understand the cards and the placement statements are very clear. I am very excited because I have found her website and I will be able to contact her directly. She is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best book for learning the tarot!, 18 July 1997
By A Customer
This book contains the most effective techniques for learning and using the tarot, along with the most accurate interpretations of the cards I have ever seen (along with use of the Rider Waite deck). I have many tarot books, but this one is the best and most used in my collection.

The only complaint I have is that book should have been hardback or wirebound, since all the pages are separated from its continual use.

Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice: The Connolly Tarot, Revised: 1