5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Workbook of Transformation!
Published on 9 Jan 2006 by J Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious Going!
I'm a beginner, and have no idea about reading tarot cards. After reading the reviews I bought this book, along with the Easy Tarot box set by Josephine Ellershaw.

Published on 25 April 2008 by H. Alam

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Workbook of Transformation!, 9 Jan 2006
This review is from: Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation (Paperback)
I would recommend this book to beginners and advanced users of tarot such as myself. This is a great book for improving your psychic intuition as it gives you guided visulizations to follow to enhance your ability to summon your intuition at will! It talks about various rituals such as grounding and cleansing the deck, methods of using the tarot. It is very interactive and gives you the ability to actively participate in the book. You can actually write in the book as you follow it through, this is very helpful. It teaches you how to purify your cards with the elements and how to use different spreads and perform indepth readings. It teaches you about healing with crystals and using crystals to record readings. It's an absolutely great read! Another fantastic book to add to my tarot collection. A real hands on gem of a book! Highly Recommended :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Tarot book I've bought, 14 Aug 2008
A. B. (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Being a tarot beginner, I bought several books teaching the tarot plus I've got some books that came with the decks too. This is by far the most indepth book I have found. It doesn't only focus on teaching you the meaning of the cards and how to do spreads, it encourages you to go on a real journey of self-discovery and meditation. I like Greer's focus on following your own intuition rather than just using book interpretations.
Personally, I am more attracted to the symbolism in the cards and what it tells me about myself or my situation rather than the divination side of the tarot and Greer's matter of fact kind of approach suits me more than some authors who put great emphasis on ritual and divination. If I would recommend one tarot book, it's definetly this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Push your Tarot envelope!, 15 Nov 2008
It's hard to believe, but before Mary Greer's 'Workbook' the few Tarot books published stuck to a 'here's the card, here's the meaning' format. The publication of 'The Workbook' in 1984 heralded a different approach to Tarot: the use of the cards as a vehicle for personal exploration. The reader is immediately engaged in using the cards and applying the new knowledge to one's self. Isn't that infinitely more appealing than ploughing one's way through a dry text book?!

The workbook covers spreads, charts, active imagination/visualisation, mandalas and rituals. You are encouraged to write in the book and treat it like an exercise book. However, I'd recommend buying a journal of some description to scribble in instead because you'll be referring to this book again and again as you move through your lifelong Tarot journey.

If you're just beginning to explore Tarot as a tool for self-discovery, you'll not be disappointed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see clearly now..., 4 May 2010
G. Dixon (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
As a beginner in Tarot, I was getting a bit confused about learning the meaning of every card in the deck. But this is one of 2 books that I have found so helpful. The other Tarot: an Illustrated Guide.

Tarot For Your Self, is for beginners who want to learn how to be intuitive with the Tarot. I think that it is more for those who are serious about learning rather than those who just want to "dabble". The main point (and I am only part way through the book as I write this review) is that you are open minded and YOU read the cards how YOU see them. Yes you need to know the basic meanings (which this book gives you) but I am finding that as I progress, things are dropping into place. The penny has dropped. I feel sure that some long time Tarot readers would also find this book interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, 10 Jan 2011
Alan Stewart - See all my reviews
This was the first of Mary Greer's books that I bought, and I have to say it did not disappoint. The book is written in a down-to-earth way, and Ms Greer's tone seems that of a knowledgeable friend who is sharing her experience and insight in an encouraging, approachable manner.

As a relative newcomer to tarot, I'm finding this book extremely helpful as I work on gaining understanding of the cards. Although the deck I use (the Druidcraft tarot) is not featured in the book, that does not matter as Ms Greer teaches reading in a way that can be applied to ALL decks, regardless of their images/symbolism.

All in all, a terrific book and a must-have addition to the bookshelf of anyone with an interest in tarot.

Alan S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious Going!, 25 April 2008
H. Alam (U.K) - See all my reviews

I started off with M.K Greer's book. The first few chapters were fine, then it started to get really confusing and complicated (maybe even too deep) and think got a little scared - I am a novice after all, and still unsure if I want to pursue the skill so seriously.

If you are really serious about learning the tarot reading skill and want to go into much more depth, then yes, it may be a worth while book to buy.

As for me still being a novice (and if you are, buy Ellershaw's box set, the book is great for getting started - and the cards are of good standard), maybe with time I'll want to improve my skill and take things to the next level.......I'll come back to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it more stars if I could!, 2 Oct 2010
This book is great. I am trying to teach myself Tarot through home study as the course I want to attend doesnt start for months. I ordered this as I thought a workbook would be useful but I got much much more than I bargined for! This book is well laid out, the exercises are easy to understand and very well explained as well as being a real tool to learn not only about the Tarot, but the many ways to use the Tarot and delve into your own hidden depths.
i bought this book to healp me learn to work with Tarot and yes it is great for that but it has given me so much self development and understandning working through these exercises and spreads. Mary lovingly guides and mentors you through this book with great results. I worked through this book like fire in my enthusiam but have been going back over my answers and spreads etc and have really taken in how much this book has taught me about myself and my actions in the past. I will go back to this book again and again, I think each time I will get more from it. I would advise that you really spend time on each exercise, really take in the cards you get and work with them slowly to get the full benefit, I was so excited I rushed, I still achieved a huge amount from the book but am benefiting from a revist.
I am going to buy a couple of more of these books for friends and myself and work through this book periodically. It changed my perception of what I wanted from my relaytionship with Tarot and became a valuable self work tool as well as the divination tool I wanted to work with.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have time, 8 Feb 2012
I bought this a while back and landed up returning it as it is not the sort of reference book I was looking for. If I had a lot more time on my hands I might have reconsidered this but for a beginner I found it a little daunting. I think you need a lot of mental space for this book and while I'm not averse to plenty of introspection, I think that it's perhaps a book which would be more rewarding for those who are willing to delve in deep and have plenty of time to indulge in doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Beginners, 6 Dec 2007
A. Swales "Swaleston" (portsmouth, uk) - See all my reviews
This book encourages you to look at yourself. To understand you,what the cards mean to you and how they affect people. It gives you a deeper and more meaningful understanding of the cards, and helps you develop your insight!

A must have for a beginner!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good learning tool shame about the editing..., 6 Jan 2013
This is a good book with some inspiring ideas and different ways of looking at the Tarot making links with Numerology and astrology, and encouraging to use your intuition to interpret cards and spreads. BUT and this is something that could have easily be put right in the kindle edition that I have, there are a number of basic mistakes in the calculations of year cards. At the beginning of the book there is an example sum that does not add up, the total should be 2035, not 2036 therefore card 10 not 11 and most of the table called Calculating Year Card is out by one from the very beginning as there is a duplication of year numbers in the first section. I only found out after charting my year numbers and ending up with a year card that did not correspond with the year card I had calculated for 2013.
A further criticism is that because this book was devised as a workbook in which you could enter personal information there are lines and spaces throughout which push the formatting out of line. These gaps and lines are totally redundant in this version of the book and could be edited out to make the book easier to read in the e-edition. The consequence of this de-formatting is that sentences get cut up and disconnected, headings get spread across the page or two lines, or even two pages. It would also help in the reading if everything was justified to the left rather than some headings justified to spread across the page. It helps a bit if you hold your tablet in the portrait mode but some editing would improve the layout considerably. Lastly, one of the advantages of an e book is that you can link to websites and other information, unfortunately not all the links work...
It is a shame that these irritating factors are present, it interferes with the serious study this book deserves; as an e book it is not cheap and you would expect better quality of editing than is displayed here.

Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation
Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation by Mary K. Greer (Paperback - 31 May 2002)
15.99