4.0 out of 5 stars repair manual
Published on 12 Oct. 2011 by mx-hawk

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
In years past, Haynes manuals were an excellent source of information and assistance. Over 35 years of 'getting dirty' I have purchased quite a few. A general trend has been that each newer manual is less useful than the old one.

Published on 3 Mar. 2011 by DavidV

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mazda Miata Automotive Repair Manual: 90-09 (Haynes Automotive Repair Manuals) (Paperback)

This manual is excellent if you want know metric/inch conversions. Torque conversions between metric and imperial units. If you want advice on jacking & securing a car to work underneath. Advice on not skinning knuckles while loosening tight nuts. How to recognise poor tyre inflation. This book has lots of pages of general 'working on car' information. The sort of thing you already know, or can easily find elsewhere - like from the owners manual in the glove box.

This manual is next to useless if you want to know any detail about the car. Wiring diagrams are a joke. The brake 'add ons' like ABS get hardly a mention. There is a big lump with pipes under the bonnet of my car that is not even mentioned! Given the scant information on things I have looked at, could I trust this book on a major component strip down? Probably not.

As with the previous review. Paper quality ZERO. Look at the manual from your armchair with clean hands. Then copy the relevant pages for working. The paper will probably shred if threatend with a bit of oil, grease or tea within a yard. In fact a damp day would be enough to make it fall apart. Come on Mr Haynes. What happened to hardback and decent paper?

In conclusion. Not really helpful. Probably my last Haynes purchase ever. Only just worth the (raggy) paper it is printed on.

Update after trying to use the manual to install additional interior lights. Colours are wrong. No mention of some behind dash connectors. Basically as expected.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Nothing, 26 May 2011
Good reference material for the MX5 is difficult to come by, this tatty little book does not make much progress towards that goal. I was bought up on Haynes manuals, the old hardback reference books that were actually quite usable, this book is a pale imitation of what Haynes used to be. It is based on the strip down of a 1996 American Miata, the basic text and pictures are 13 years old with a superficial update in 2010 for the later models. All measurements are in imperial, keep your conversion charts to hand, the pictures are a mish match of earlier and later American models.

It's given me the torque settings that I needed, a few pictures that have clarified things, but if you're expecting a definitive reference then you will be disappointed. It is printed on the cheapest, nastiest paper you will ever come across, treat it with extreme care and don't take it anywhere near a workshop. If I had paid a fiver for it then I would have been happy, it's worth about that at a push, but having seen it I am now feeling ripped off by Haynes. It's better than nothing, but not by much and nowhere near what a workshop manual should be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite good enough, 17 Dec. 2010
The book appears to have been printed on the cheapest paper going and will most likely disintigrate in the workshop environment.The Mk2 details which are relevant to me appear to be no more than an add on and at times there appears to be gaps in the text when going from the original Mk 1 information to the Mk2.Having said that it is the only manual I've seen with any Mk2 detail. I suppose any detail is better than none.Please Haynes don't take your readers for granted.

4.0 out of 5 stars repair manual, 12 Oct. 2011
the manual is very well written and easly understood, even for those of us who are not mechanically minded. I have been using the book to do small repairs to a 20 year old MX5 and I have managed to do it with the help of the book. I have no prior experience of doing this work I decided I wanted to do a project and without the book I would not have attempted any mechanical work.
I purchased the book because I wanted to identify the different parts of the engine. for example,I wanted to do an oil change and change the filter and it was easy to do following the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only source of info on NC models, but only better than nothing, 22 Feb. 2015
This book is really your only choice if you are looking for information on working on your own mk3 / NC. However compared to the excellent haynes Owners workshop Manual, (which only covers the mk1 and mk2 cars), this book is just horrible to work from. The mk1 and 2 share an engine and a common design to a point but the mk3 is an entirely different car. This book is all over the place, with common step by step procedures trying to cover all models, it's inline note hell. Really haynes should have released a new manual purely for the mk three and left the mk1 and mk2 coverage to the excellent workshop manual ( 5565) and the simply fantastic Paul Harriman haynes renovation manual. So if you are shopping for your mk1 or 2 look at those two books first.

That all said, this book does give you the information you need and even a substandard weekend spanner monkey like myself should be able to find the information they need to perform minor services, change brake pads and generally get the easy stuff dealt with.

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the quality of Haynes Manuals, 14 May 2012
NeilM (Seaton Devon) - See all my reviews
I should have taken note of previous reviews with regard to the quality of the book. Having purchased previous Haynes Manuals many years ago, I had thought that the same quality would still be there. Unfortunately, the book cover and the paper is of very poor quality indeed. Turning the pages is likely to rip the paper, so its completely useless as a workshop manual unless you photocopy the relevant pages.

1.0 out of 5 stars Things have not changed then.., 29 Feb. 2012
Tin Tactoo "Tin Tactoo" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have not brought this book for starters. I have brought the Paul Hardman's 'Do It Up' book on the MX5 as its a BRITISH model featured but its down side is its not that comprehensive but I must admit without it I could not have overhauled my rear brake calipers as I would never have found the adjuster screw under a bland looking nut... Yes, over the years Haynes book's have become too dumbed down and the paper is so thin, it a wonder you don't come with 'Andrex' stamped on some of it. Years ago, I brought a manual for a Volvo 740 and on opening it, I noted you could see the next page through as it was so t-h-i-n!. I wrote to Haynes and protested about this point and if by magic, in the next post no less!, came the very same book BUT on decent paper we all knew from years gone by and I still have it among my collection which points to the fact that they do print on decent paper but we don't seem to have it on the shelves and considering how much we pay for these manuals, we deserve better. The biggest problem now is Haynes is into so many other genes bookwise, the very theme they made their money with all those years ago has been forgotten about. Oddly, I have about 11 or so Haynes books at the moment that I have brought over the last few months covering computers to digital cameras etc. plus bland car books for anoraks and all priced about the retail £15 to £18 mark but all picked up in...Poundland. Says it all I think. But if a decent book comes out on the 1.6 MX5, Mk.2 model, let me know as I think if somebody does it, they could be on to a winner as I know a lot of people in my area that are crying out for a decent book, written for the BRITISH market.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 6 Feb. 2013
two problems - 1) it's written for the US rather than UK market, 2) if you've got a mark 2 model then there's a few extra lines here and there where your car differs from the mark 1, but don't expect no photos. If there was a viable alternative, I'd have bought that instead and only given this review 2 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Haynes Product, 2 April 2013
A good general overview of the MX5 but with little extra information than I already had from an earlier version of the book.
I feel that they sometimes try to cover too wide a range of vehicle age and in so doing leave out some of the detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars mazda repair manual, 11 Jun. 2013
Ist class manual answered all the questions i needed
would not hesitate to recommend this manual to anyone requiring knowledge of a mazda motor car.

Mazda Miata Automotive Repair Manual: 90-09 (Haynes Automotive Repair Manuals)