on 20 August 2003
It's just that. Even though Carlos Pacheco's art is sometimes brilliant, it just cannot hide a rather boring story that precisely falls in the stereotypes of American superhero crossovers. It's not bad, but it's not good either.
on 10 August 2010
I've been wanting to read DC comics for a while, myself being more used to Marvel. A friend lent me this one so I could be acquainted with both the JLA and the JSA and all those typical DC characters. The book is quite interesting, integrating some of the characters' backgrounds, the interaction between the teams and the seven deadly sins into one quick read. The main problem I found with this comic was precisely the speed at which the story progresses. I believe this would have been a great graphic novel if the author would have let all of it happen slowly, letting the reader notice the characters' behaviour, their adaptation to all that trouble and the sinful personalities developing and acting longer. Other than that, I think it was a good starting point for me and all in all a very engaging story.
on 6 January 2004
During a Thanksgiving Day celebratory get-together of the JLA and the JSA, chaos erupts when seven of the superheroes launch a surprise attack on the rest. With the JLA and JSA scattered and reeling, it's up to the others to find out who or what is behind all this. It's superhero versus superhero with no holds barred!
This is a very good DC story. Admittedly, the whole "entity takes over superhero's mind" has become a bit of a cliché, but I thought that the story was well written, with lots of action and adventure, and excellent illustration work. My ten-year-old son and I both loved this book, and highly recommend it to you.
on 18 March 2010
You couldn't have a Thanksgiving for the JLA and JSA where everything goes according to plan, could you? This time it's Despero and Johnny Sorrow, and the resulting mess is both fascinating and amusing. The artwork isn't the best, but the plot and character relationships are great (Black Canary, Green Arrow and Dr.Mid-Nite in the same team is highly entertaining) and more than make up for it. There's a nice conclusion and overall, it's a pretty good read.