1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars I did NOT just see that... did I?, 12 May 2004
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Local Heroes (Hitman) (Paperback)
I’ve always enjoyed readin’ Garth Ennis’ four-color adventures; his knack for getting me to laugh at the sickest and most wrong things ever put to the Bristol board always keeps me comin’ back to the local comic shop for more. And there are fewer things that are more wrong than some of the stuff depicted in the pages of this volume of the Hitman series. Helping things out with most of this collection is the artwork of John McCrea, who gives the book’s more over-the-top moments (AKA the aforementioned sick & wrong things) just the right look for maximum “Oh-my-God-I-can’t-believe-I’m-laughing-at-this-stuff” effect.
The best example of the pox this dynamic writer-artist duo has unleashed upon the world of comics is the “Zombie Night at the Gotham Aquarium” story arc. The titular anti-hero Monaghan and a few of his fellows are hired to pop a mad scientist who turns the aquarium’s sea creatures into undead zombies. When a red-eyed army of seals, penguins, octopi, and other assorted marine fauna corners the protagonists, they’re forced to fight their way out-- with guns, clubs, and chainsaws. The ensuing carnage of cartoonish ultraviolence most likely put Ennis and McCrea on Greenpeace’s $#!+ list, and is one of the funniest freakin’ things I’ve ever experienced in all my years of comic-book geekdom.
Also included in this TPB is Monaghan’s “team-up” with an overly verbose Green Lantern against a corrupt Gotham City police force & some shady government types, as well as a modern-day tribute to spaghetti westerns. While both yarns have more than their fair share of the kinda dark humor and over-the-top mayhem that have become Ennis’ bread and butter, the zombie aquarium adventure steals the show for me. Just make sure you don’t start on it ‘til your tree-hugger buddies have all gone home…
‘Late

Local Heroes (Hitman)
Local Heroes (Hitman) by Garth Ennis (Paperback - July 1999)
Used & New from: £9.12