4.0 out of 5 stars An elegant fable about fame its human consequences
Published on 31 May 2001 by ettet_mdal@yahoo.co.uk

2.0 out of 5 stars A So-So read; not Gaiman at his best....
I first became hooked on Carey's "LUCIFER" series, which lead me to check out the Sandman: SEASON OF MISTS story. I have been a Gaiman Fan ever since and now own the complete Sandman Library.
Published on 17 May 2005 by R. A. Murtagh

4.0 out of 5 stars An elegant fable about fame its human consequences, 31 May 2001
I don't think I'm the only person to have fallen in love with Death, who is certainly Neil Gaiman's most popular and possibly his most original character, and while he himself may not consider this his best work, any story that gives us more of her can only be a good thing. 'The Time of Your Life' may not quite be the transcendental, life-affirming experience that the first Death outing ('The High Cost of Living') was, it's message and philosophy, as well as character development, are more focused. Death herself plays a fairly minor role, with the relationship between the two real leads, Hazel and Foxglove, being plausibly and sympathetically explored. This means that we get less of Death's profound and amusing soundbites, and have to make do for the most part with the sight of her (very pretty) face, but given the quality of the rest of the writing, this isn't as bad as it might sound. Before you read this, you should probably have got through most of the Sandman series (or at least the 'A Game of You' storyline), and the previous Death book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 19 Aug 2007
I absolutely adored this book! I was a bit apprehensive about buying it at first because I'd heard all the usual whinings about "oh, but this hardly has Death in it at all!", but I read it and it was another stroke of brilliance from Neil Gaiman. Admittedly it doesn't feature Death as much as 'The High Cost Of Living' does, but it does feature Hazel and Foxglove, who are my favourite humans in the whole series. In this book we see a side to Death that hasn't come up much in the main series- instead of being her usual optimistic self, she seems to actually be sad at the thought of having to take the life of someone who was once a friend. 'The Time Of Your Life' is darker than 'The High Cost Of Living', but this only adds to its absolute amazingness. And any book that shows a buddhist underwear model, a lesbian rock star and her bodyguard sailing to the border of Death's realm in a huge floating umberella has to be worth a read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Death: The Time of Your Life (1996), 21 April 2012
The second mini-series for Death of the Endless is a full colour exploration of life, love, identity and loss. Unlike the previous collection, Death: the high cost of living (1993), this one more closely mirrors the Sandman style of storytelling. Death exists in the background until the story is ready for her to enter; when she appears it's as a catalyst for change (like her Tarot attribution) and not as a principal player. Quite often those kinds of stories are what Gaiman does best. She has her usual sentimental but focussed on duty attitude. Gaiman has lived with her in his head for years so he knows how to write for the character.

The two main characters were first seen in The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House (New Edition) (1990), so if you have read that you will be able to attribute extra back-story. This story is less adventurous than The High Cost of Living but is more sympathetic and emotional, and certainly more rewarding for the reader. It's initially slow to unravel but by the end has blossomed into a celebration of the beauty and tragedy that can arise from following your heart.

The book collects together Death: The Time of Your Life issues 1 - 3

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cutest Face Of Death, 19 Aug 2003
Wow, I mean wow. I never knew of Death, the Sandman or any of the Endless before I read this book, thanks to this piece of work I can now proudly say "IM A FAN OF THE SANDMAN AND THE SPIN-OFF BOOKS BY GUM".
Thank you Neil Gaiman for opening my eyes to this and all your other works.
BTW: Death is such a babe

5.0 out of 5 stars The best graphic novel I've read, 22 Feb 2004
I've read a fair few graphic novels and read Neil Gaiman's work in particular. I have to say that this is THE BEST I've ever read. Witchy gothic lesbian rock chic, oh yeah! I got the book out of the library to read and now I'm ordering it on Amazon because I don't want to let it go. Oooh it's good.

2.0 out of 5 stars A So-So read; not Gaiman at his best...., 17 May 2005
R. A. Murtagh (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
However, having just read Death: THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE, I must say, I feel a little cheated. Lady Death is not really involved in this three-part tale. All she does in the first two parts is sit and listen to another character whining about her troubles, then finally, at the VERY end of the third and final part, she perks up and says a few well-written lines, before wrapping-up the story.
This is NOT a story about the sexy, dark character of intrigue we all love from The Sandman. My advice is to check out Death: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, which focuses more heavily upon HER as opposed to ordinary, everyday people.
I'm glad to own it (from a collector's point) but not one of Neil's better works is this. I'm presently waiting for Death: AT DEATH'S DOOR to be delivered... full report soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the more horribly aching pieces of comic..., 11 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This is one the most compelling pieces of 'literature' if you wish to call it that, that I have ever read. The ever there Death and...the ever there question of mortallity and life. If not then, then why?

Death The Time Of Your Life TP
Death The Time Of Your Life TP by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - 21 Jun 2006)
Used & New from: £15.82