Format: PaperbackChange

on 29 March 2014
The book is perfect if you have no idea about process mapping and want to get a very quick but to-the-point introduction. It is really very easy to read and understand. I read it front to end in about four or five hours. This could be very usefull for busy professionals who would like to find out what process mapping is and if it could apply to their to their bussiness. After reading it, not only did I understood all the fundumentals, but I could also implement some of the principles in creating process maps for my work (by the way I am a structural engineer - project manager in a structural design firm). I reccoment it for all who want to know the basics. However, if you need to dig deeper into the subject or if you already know the the basic principles, then this book is not for you. To sum up: very good value for money, easy and quick to read, gets you right into the point.
on 16 February 2015
A useful starter guide, got some great strategies from this book that I applied to my work immediately. The books target market is not advanced so if you'd have any certified training you probably won't learn anything new. If you've learned your skills on the job with no certified training or you are a complete beginner this would be an excellent start.

This is not a guide on how to use a specific piece of software, it's a guide of how to make your process flows better. My only criticism is it's not the easiest book to read. The text just doesn't want to come off the page, it was a hard slog trying to read it rather than pleasurable flow. I realise it's a text book but for me, even as a text book it was difficult. This is the only reason I gave it 4 stars, for the target audience, beginner and self taught, I'd give the content 5 stars.
Very nice job. This book explains in an easy but yet comprehensive and precise format just what one needs to know and be able to do around 'process mapping'.

I also like the way the motivation and goals for mapping is explained, hence what we're trying to achieve with these tools.

Chapter 7 'how to improve flow' goes beyond the topic, and it is a very valuable bonus to this book. It's sort of 'Quality Development' in a nutshell, and - what makes it so useful - it is directly linked into the preceding discussion about process mapping.

Excellent book for self studying. After reading it once, you'll like to keep it as a reference book for later times.
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2012
In the dull world of process mapping that I have to undertake as a BA, I found this a useful introduction to various techniques.

Mostly I was looking for information on cross-functional flow charts which I found in this book. It's a fairly easy read with easy to understand diagrams.

I think the problem with some flow diagrams is that real life can throw them a curve ball and so you have to be moderately creative and this is what I found. I actually emailed the author who was extremely helpful.

I think my diagrams have very quickly gone beyond what is taught in this book as a complex department in a large company recently proved. Nevertheless, this is a great reference book and an essential part of any BA's "toolkit".
on 27 August 2012
I bought this as a replacement for a well used copy of edition 1 which I mislaid somewhere. The previous book was a sound introduction to the basics of process mapping for anyone who was fairly new to the discipline and I have lent it / recommended it to a number of people over the past few years. Whilst the new material in edition 2 is all relevant I feel that it detracts from the simple walk-through of "the three levels" of Organisation, Cross Functional Process, and Work Activity chart that were presented so well in edition 1. It might have been better to leave the original text much as it was and to present the additional material in a separate section that developed the basic ideas and related them to workflow, waste and process improvement.

Still a useful book but lost some of the clarity of the original edition.
on 1 May 2014
An excellent primer on process mapping and for that matter a basic introduction to lean thinking and the concepts of work and work flow. I keep it close by in electronic format as well as in paper back.

An excellent book for students but also for those of us who are professionals and have to be jack-of-all-trades and masters of some! It doesn't use BPMN 2.0 notation but it is consistent and simple and provides good examples of how to develop such models from interviews and questions.
on 25 April 2014
Good I found overall. I struggled a bit with the writing style initially ... Quite formal & technical, but soon got into it and found it very useful and I think I can put many of the ideas tips & techniques into practice. As others have said chapter 7 which describes a case example, provides concrete example re how to put into practice & links with lean & flow ideas. I will need to read this book again to get the most out of it.
on 4 October 2013
Well laid out and with good examples. Its a good place to start if you want to understand process mapping
on 10 November 2015
This is a really easy book to follow. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to hit the ground running with business processes mapping.

Thrilled and delighted with the book.
on 17 May 2014
Xliked this a lot especially the additions and the seven principles which match some of mine. Using it with my new teams across the country where this has never been done.