5.0 out of 5 stars Great
Very nice job. This book explains in an easy but yet comprehensive and precise format just what one needs to know and be able to do around 'process mapping'.

I also like the way the motivation and goals for mapping is explained, hence what we're trying to achieve with these tools.

Chapter 7 'how to improve flow' goes beyond the topic, and it is a...
Published 21 months ago by Project Management Practitioner

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published 23 months ago by Chuck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition (Paperback)

Chapter 7 'how to improve flow' goes beyond the topic, and it is a very valuable bonus to this book. It's sort of 'Quality Development' in a nutshell, and - what makes it so useful - it is directly linked into the preceding discussion about process mapping.

Excellent book for self studying. After reading it once, you'll like to keep it as a reference book for later times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I bought this as a replacement for a well used copy of edition 1 which I mislaid somewhere. The previous book was a sound introduction to the basics of process mapping for anyone who was fairly new to the discipline and I have lent it / recommended it to a number of people over the past few years. Whilst the new material in edition 2 is all relevant I feel that it detracts from the simple walk-through of "the three levels" of Organisation, Cross Functional Process, and Work Activity chart that were presented so well in edition 1. It might have been better to leave the original text much as it was and to present the additional material in a separate section that developed the basic ideas and related them to workflow, waste and process improvement.

Still a useful book but lost some of the clarity of the original edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars all you need to know, 4 Oct 2013
Well laid out and with good examples. Its a good place to start if you want to understand process mapping

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction and then some, 12 Dec 2012
AM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
In the dull world of process mapping that I have to undertake as a BA, I found this a useful introduction to various techniques.

Mostly I was looking for information on cross-functional flow charts which I found in this book. It's a fairly easy read with easy to understand diagrams.

I think the problem with some flow diagrams is that real life can throw them a curve ball and so you have to be moderately creative and this is what I found. I actually emailed the author who was extremely helpful.

I think my diagrams have very quickly gone beyond what is taught in this book as a complex department in a large company recently proved. Nevertheless, this is a great reference book and an essential part of any BA's "toolkit".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
Excellent reference book to have by your side. A must for all Business Analysts. Would recommend to anyone wanting to develop their thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars improvements, 17 May 2014
Xliked this a lot especially the additions and the seven principles which match some of mine. Using it with my new teams across the country where this has never been done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Concise, but Comprehensive, 1 May 2014
An excellent primer on process mapping and for that matter a basic introduction to lean thinking and the concepts of work and work flow. I keep it close by in electronic format as well as in paper back.

An excellent book for students but also for those of us who are professionals and have to be jack-of-all-trades and masters of some! It doesn't use BPMN 2.0 notation but it is consistent and simple and provides good examples of how to develop such models from interviews and questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars new to process mapping . a good guide., 25 April 2014
Good I found overall. I struggled a bit with the writing style initially ... Quite formal & technical, but soon got into it and found it very useful and I think I can put many of the ideas tips & techniques into practice. As others have said chapter 7 which describes a case example, provides concrete example re how to put into practice & links with lean & flow ideas. I will need to read this book again to get the most out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect as an introduction to the subject, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
The book is perfect if you have no idea about process mapping and want to get a very quick but to-the-point introduction. It is really very easy to read and understand. I read it front to end in about four or five hours. This could be very usefull for busy professionals who would like to find out what process mapping is and if it could apply to their to their bussiness. After reading it, not only did I understood all the fundumentals, but I could also implement some of the principles in creating process maps for my work (by the way I am a structural engineer - project manager in a structural design firm). I reccoment it for all who want to know the basics. However, if you need to dig deeper into the subject or if you already know the the basic principles, then this book is not for you. To sum up: very good value for money, easy and quick to read, gets you right into the point.

The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition
The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition by Robert Damelio (Paperback - 17 May 2011)
14.54