1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars because it isn't MY thing. It may well be yours., 13 Jun 2008
This review is from: Chirality: Bk. 1 (Chirality; To the Promised Land) (Paperback)
This is, quite easily, one of the weirdest manga I have ever read, especially in terms of yuri. Warnings: this manga contains a tonne of fanservice(naked women, armour that makes them appear to be naked, etc), has strong yuri content in later volumes(full out sex), is FLIPPED(left-to-right instead of right-to-left) and printed in a much larger scale than, say, a Tokyopop manga. Also, each volume is about 90 pages or so, so it is very thin.

That being said, the artwork is generally wonderful if it is your thing, though the characters are quite shallow and seem to cry a lot. But they are not particularly meant to be `deep' as the manga itself is based on fanservice and violence, not that that is a bad thing at all.

For example, in the first few opening pages, we have a naked woman(Carol) followed by the main character(Shiori) getting attacked by one of her friends whose body suit is ripped away and a huge robot/mecha(called a GM) tears out of her flesh. At this point, Carol comes to protect Shiori. Injured, Shiori faints and is taken back to her other friends, who take care of her. When she recovers, Shiori takes Carol for a tour around the base, where Carol steals a kiss. Soon after, another GM attacks and Carol is forced to protect Shiori again...by turning into a man?!

As you can see, this manga is pretty strange. And that's only up to page 31. through the rest, there are more attacks, more surprises and more yuri to be had, though nothing explicit happens in this volume. It ends the main story with the remaining characters going to find "Gaia", then has a small special chapter called SD(Super deformed) Case 1, in which Shiori wants a pet and Carol tries to accommodate her.

So what do I think? Well, not being a fan of too much fanservice and strange plots, I'm not very fond of it. I like the art(somewhat), and I like the yuri, but that's pretty much it. It doesn't help that it's flipped, either. I prefer to read manga in the traditional right-to-left style as flipping can deteriorate the art. Am I going to get the rest? I'm not sure. I know there are some pretty decent sex scenes in later volumes, but I know there are other yuri manga that have those too, and I am enjoying other stories with plots I prefer compared to this one. But we'll see; one never knows if one'll need random fanservice in the future after all!

If you like fanservice and violence with weird plots and yuri, then this is definitely for you. If you don't, I suggest you don't buy it; you will probably regret it later.

Chirality: Bk. 1 (Chirality; To the Promised Land)
Chirality: Bk. 1 (Chirality; To the Promised Land) by Satashi Urushihara (Paperback - 1 Feb 2000)
Used & New from: 11.87