5.0 out of 5 stars I Have spend a glorious time with two new friends.
Published on 5 Nov 2001 by jane_gubb@lineone.net

3.0 out of 5 stars YES WELL, NO FINE
Published on 6 April 2001 by Pieter Uys

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have spend a glorious time with two new friends., 5 Nov 2001
jane_gubb@lineone.net (Deepest Darkest Dorset - England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic (Paperback)
I Have spend a glorious time with two new friends - Prime Chaos and Condensed Chaos, they are the sort of books that will make themselves at home on your book shelf and forever tease you to come on in and talk a while. Phine Hine has written two great introductions to Chaos without any of the usual bulls***, ego stroking, and hierarchical hocus pocus that goes with many occult books! It was delicious to spend some time being entertained and informed, His humble humour wings it way through both books giving you the refreshing feeling that this guy genuinely wants to pass on what he has learnt good and bad, there are some great new angles that make you take your dusty old beliefs out of the closet and give them a good shake off.. He talks like we do, no interpreter needed. I didn't agree with all his thoughts but you get the feeling that's OK too, I would recommend these two books anyone whether you be beginner or old pagan hack.. More please Phil...!

4.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating read, 13 Nov 2004
As a chaos newbie I'm not really in a place where i can compare this book to other books on the subject, nor can i say I have read better books on the subject, seeing as this is my first...
One thing i can and will say though is this book is a fascinating read. Hine has an exceptional grasp of how our egos control us and how we subconciously categorise ourselves. If you're quite ego orientated like myself, it can be a bit wounding to read how we, as individuals, really are nothing more than whats in our own head, but i tell you one thing, he'll have you realising a lot about yourself.
His analogies are extremely useful and brought about a great understanding of the points he was trying to make, his section on "Breaking the Image" quite literally made my hair stand on end. Do you ever get those situations where you think "Wow! Thats ME that is!", especially when you're struggling with a bit of an identity crisis.
I could go on for a long time with this review but instead I'll just say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it. I have his "Prime Chaos" on order too, I hope its as absorbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive guide to get started with Chaos (and easier to get started with than Liber Null & Psychonaut), 31 Jan 2009
Barry leslie (Peterborough) - See all my reviews
I found this a great book to read. Having taken an aeon to plough through Liber Null & Psychonaut, this is a walk in the park in comparison. I am not saying Liber Null isn't good, but it is really, really heavy going and difficult to get started with.

In this book Phil Hine takes the uninitiated by the hand and gradually develops their understanding to quite a sophisticated level. There is more comprehensive material here that is of use to the novice Chaotician. I found the material on Servitors, Banishings, Sigils and Ego Magick particularly useful and preseneted in a more user-friendly way that Peter Carrol's tombe.

I would recommend this as a useful companion to Peter Carrol's Liber Null, because I think that any Chaos starter should have both, but this books gives the beginner more to get their teeth into and explains some of the exercises more fully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore Pete Carroll, buy this instead, 1 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I would second that if you get ANY book on chaos magick, get this one. I go back to it time and time again, re-reading a line and then saying "Whoah, that actually happened to ME!".
Phil Hine writes in a clear, likeable style, yet manages to cover many subjects. His concise writing style makes you want to try these things out for yourself - and THEY WORK! BUY IT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good info on Chaos magic, 1 July 2000
By A Customer
Loads and loads of good info, written from an objective viewpoint. Buy it if you're interested in Chaos magic in any way.

3.0 out of 5 stars YES WELL, NO FINE, 6 April 2001
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
YES WELL, NO FINE! I found some parts of this book far more interesting than others, like the core principles of chaos magic, its history and the chapter on servitors with its practical exercises. Chaos magick's non-dogmatic eclectic approach is quite appealing. The section on Ganesh is also helpful, but unfortunately the author sometimes displays some arrogance in "dissing" other paths and movements. Which brings me to a modern metaphysical author like Stuart Wilde, who while not claiming to be a magician covers the same ground plus much more. And when I had finished the book, I came to the conclusion that one can achieve all you want by studying and applying the guidance of the old metaphysicians like Dr Joseph Murphy and Catherine Ponder, without having to bother with rituals and stuff. But "Condensed Chaos" is still an interesting read and I enjoyed the references to Robert Anton Wilson and Discordianism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be a heavy read, but worthwhile to take ..., 26 Jun 2014
Dr. David Flynn (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Can be a heavy read, but worthwhile to take the time and patience to keep going. Well worth buying if you are interested in Choas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved every page!, 17 Jun 2013
Amazing book! It is as it says. Introduction...if you are novice in magic business this book will take you from 0 to...whatever your scale is. Personally I found very useful, I hope you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars chaos DM, 5 Jan 2013
Phil Hine, very well done, fantastical magical read, the coverart takes me back to a young innocent perceptive happy experimental, free time in my life, Brilliant read Phil.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 18 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This book contains the usual chaos magick you might expect. It has interesting sections and Phil Hine's humour makes it an enjoyable read. I do think it is worth noting that Phil Hine's experience of sex magick (which is discussed in his book) comes from a homosexual angle, this does make it less relevant to women and couples as whole. The book obviously leans towards the 'OTO' style due to Phil Hine's connection with them and of course Peter Carroll. Interesting read for beginners, just remember to read with caution.

Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic by Phil Hine (Paperback - 1 Mar 1995)
Used & New from: 3.48