Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 April 2008
I have only read this once (and I plan to read it many times more, for it is so rich) and I will find it here difficult to summarise exactly why I found this book so incredible, but here goes.

This book, and it's author R.A.W., will - if you are already somewhat inclined in this way - give you the conceptual tools to wrap around the vague ways in which you've always suspected the human world is so messed up. Basically, we have a great about of robot-ism to us and we have strong preferences for certain ways of seeing reality which we try to impose upon each other (often to the death). The 8 circuit model of consciousness which Wilson expounds (it was originally Timothy Leary's) is an absolutely amazing multifaceted metaphor for the differences between us as humans. Only a sheer blockhead would not feel more tolerant of the humanity around him (and within him) after reading this book.

For someone like me, this was incredibly incredibly juicy territory and I devoured the book with every spare moment I had. It put so many concepts in place in so many areas of my thinking where before I only had vague suspicions.

I can imagine that this book would scare some people - and some others may find it too "far out". But from my point of view I would say that is always some kind of resistance to the truth of our lives and what that will entail if we admit to it. But that may just be my own reality tunnel at work!

Anyway, if you are already someone who looks within and without for answers to why we are the way we are, this book will stimulate you greatly. It may even begin you on a journey of self-discovery. This book is at that level of importance for this certain type of person.

Also, it is written in a very colloquial style which some may find off putting, but this is RAW. He is an extremely honest and unabashed writer and this shows in his style. His incredible talent lies in synthesising the works of Leary, Crowley, Fuller etc etc

Anyway, yes, this book is astounding. The tired cliche applies: it changed my life too (but then so did my breakfast this morning!).
on 6 May 2010
Simply a fantastic book.

Witty, challenging, deep thoughts written with a certain lightness.
Wilson doesn't ever pretend to "know" anything but merely presents A model of information.
What you make of his points of view and observations is entirely up to you. This makes
it a great read because I hate being told what to think because anyone who "knows"
what they're on about simply hasn't lived long enough or done enough to know you
can always be wrong.

As a side note, the relationship between Wilson's ideas about immortality and
his death shows how even R.A.W get's it wrong sometime, however his optimism
shows how he chose a more useful more fun way of living.
on 3 May 2010
Good book. Really good book. Can't say that I agree with everything Wilson says, but the book isn't about agreeing. Its well written, engaging and covers such a wide range of topics, ideas and insights that's really made me go back and rethink life the universe and everything, and then rethink how I rethink. Guerrilla ontology at its finest.
on 25 March 2010
This book already understands you so take some time to understand it. Even if you don't agree with it all, let it soften your ego a bit. There are great benifits for the individual and the world in this work and I admire that people think on this level. Empowering, enlightening, delighting, frightening, heightening. It's ALL in here.
on 24 October 2009
This book gave me insight into psychologicl, spiritual and philisophical ideas i knew existed and found them here - i recommend this book to anyone interested in human thinking and behaviour
on 21 October 2013
I bought this book in not knowing what to expect, and I still don't precisely understand parts of it, but it does still feel like different sort of genius, in his perception of the world.
on 28 March 2007
I Consider this book to be bobs, magnum opus. I wouldent say

that any of his books are bad but this one stands out for me

as the best, one thing i have found with bob is his ability

to take a mutitude of subjects and weave them into new theorys

if science as a whole took bobs approch, im sure we would of

all evolved a lot further by now,

Sadley it doesnt and we havent, if everybody read

this three times maybe we might though...
on 3 February 2008
Very well written and easy to understand. It is like an acid trip without the acid - and a lot more constructive. It may change the way you percieve the universe and yourself in/of it (I hope it does anyway!).
on 11 July 2010
This book has changed my life (again) it has been probably the most influential book that I've ever read. It sums up and explains how some of the World's most profound thinkers, philosophies, mind opening, soul freeing ideas in very profound and practical ways. Incorporating ideas for from quantum theory, Timothy Leary, Gurdjieff, Alfred Korzybski, magic, various Yoga disciplines, Aleister Crowley, Carl Jung and loads of others ... don't worry it will all make sense (probably). It then melts them together Mr Wilson throws he's twist on things and then the real fun begins.

I first read this book 12 years ago and for some reason I lent it several years back and never had it returned. And rereading it now has allowed and caused me to learn about myself and shake up my preconceptions and scramble my brain (in a good way).

It can lead you to many things if you explore what on offer. Robert Anton Wilson has wrote the best `self help' book ever. This book really is that good. I believe it could change the world if everyone read it, and considered it seriously, and it's fun, interesting and mind boggling to read!

There are a number of self help exercises which help show how the influence of one's mind, beliefs and expectations reflect upon the experiences in one's life. Some of these are which are not for the faint hearted and you will need to be prepared to be on for the ride. But it is worth it, buy this book and see where it leads you. You will see the world with new eyes.
on 19 October 2015
The best book I've ever read