5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: MAY CAUSE THOUGHT.
...depending on who you are. If you are intelligent, curious, and possessed of a sense of humor, this book will do you great good: it's a very gently humorous and extremely HUMANE examination of All The Weird Things we've been living with these past few hundred years (or more), as filtered through one Robert Anton Wilson.
However... if you respond to the book by...
Published on 21 Jan. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sirius Read
Published on 21 Oct. 2011 by Nathan Strange

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: MAY CAUSE THOUGHT., 21 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
However... if you respond to the book by slamming it closed and calling R.A.Wilson a liar/fraud/false prophet/agent of Satan/etc., etc., then you have completely missed the point. Wilson is not trying to convert anyone to his specific point of view, but is trying to awaken people to the possibility that their own point of view may simply be very, very small and incomplete. It's big universe out there, and to hide from it in a "dogmatic reality-tunnel" (his words) is, quite simply, counterproductive and stupid. It does not make SENSE to ignore the possibilities, or to smother them with regurgitations of unexamined prejudices.
Wilson is doing something very daring here: he is trying to write a book which is NOT meant to be read by the "converted", but by everyone, really. G'wan, you Bible-pounders -- give it a shot. You could be right and you could be wrong. It's a big universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing is true. Everything is permitted, 7 May 2004
This book was the first of Wilsons that I read. My reasons.... Unknown, an urge; a recommedation; unknown forces, who knows. However this has changed my life; Caused me much confusion of thought and much angry. Perhaps this is the Chapel Perilious that is refered to by Wilson and I am still on my journey through it, or am I?
I strongly recommend this, Sex, Drugs and Magic and Cosmic Trigger 2. So far this book has turned me onto the works of Aleister Crowley, Dion Fortune and Israel Regardie and a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars RAW classic, 18 Jan. 2012
I enjoy all of Wilson's books and place 'Cosmic Trigger I' in his Top 3 works, alongside 'Prometheus Rising' and 'Illuminatus! Trilogy'.
This autobiographical (for the most part) book deals with synchronicities concerning the number 23, Aleister Crowley, Timothy Leary, the star Sirius etc., written in RAW's usual fluent and humourous style. Highly recommended for all primates on this primitive planet...

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sirius Read, 21 Oct. 2011
I struggled with this book in many parts and because of this I'm going to give it three stars. It's not so much an encyclopedia as it is a book about Wilson's reflections, experiences of psychedelic substances and encounters with Timothy Leary amongst other radicals. I thought this book was going to be purely and primarily about the Illuminati and their plan to overthrow the planet. However, the Illuminati are overshadowed by Wilson's first person narration and his experience with mind altering substances.

I found the best parts of this book lie in the descriptions of his most personal experiences in which he writes of. I love it when he describes a green alien dancing in his garden and said it's the most divine thing he ever saw! Funny as hell, but he then identifies the alien as a leprechaun called Mescalito - the spirit of peyote whom also appears as Peter Pan. I also had an encounter with this little elf when I was on a journey, but he appeared to me as a moving two dimensional form who kept waving at me whilst he was dancing.

I also found Wilson's account of his daughter Luna who was murdered a rather moving part of this book which even brought my tear ducts to churn. His friendship to Timothy Leary is also brought up on many occasions which has inspired me to read in to Leary's life more than I have. It seems that Leary himself was constantly shadowed by the Illuminati but had the ability to laugh off the fearfulness of it unlike Wilhelm Reich who became a victim of their actions. Talking of him I loved Wilson's mention of both Wilhelm Reich and G.I Gurdjieff whom are two of my biggest inspirations into the occult, the truth, Illuminati conspiracy and the human condition. He also mentions Terrence McKenna which I was glad of as well and how 2012 plays an important role in our evolution. I find it amazing how Wilson had looked into so much and studied these guys back in 1977 when the book was published, it is only now in 2011 that alot of people are hearing about them.

Still, Wilson's book doesn't answer the big questions for me, it doesn't make complete sense of the Illuminati conspiracy or their agenda; but it does touch on some important conspiracy factors in which this secret society are responsible for. Wilson beats around the bush a little too much and doesn't pack the punch to send me into that intellectual level of bliss I love to reach when I'm reading. However, after reading this, it has got me thinking more coherently about Sirius the dog star in which is rumoured to be the Earth's twin or 'dwarf star'. Wilson also explores the idea that our planet, Mother Earth is being watched by over-souls (the Illuminati) who reside on this planet Sirius. When the Earth and the people's consciousness reach the right frequency contact with this planet will begin and the human race will shed all of it's conditioning?? This sounds quite plausible to me, but I am not drawing any vast conclusions. Still, a good read for anybody who is interested in the Illuminati, 2012, the 60s psychedelic movement and the occult.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a great starting place for people wanting to lift up the vale., 7 Jan. 2010
M. Owens (UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very "illuminating" dealing with a veriety of subjects I thought I knew about but soon realised that infact I knew nothing at all about. The books acts as a great introduction to the work of both Timothy Leary and Aleister Crowley to name but a few. The many diffrent themes this book contines are all managed well, offering theories as well as other books and key figures to continue your own reserch on human conciousness. These themes are brought together both brilliantly and powerfully with an ending leaving you with pleanty to ponder regards this joureny we call life.
All in all a brilliant book!"

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 4 Feb. 2012
Loved this book. Irreverent, funny scientific and a good read. A book that stays in your head for a long time and you come back to to remember how it was said or what exactly was said. RAW has huge culture and curiosity and asks the questions, without pushing any conclusions or grand theories, he just gets that niggling question/doubt into your head in his humorous way and leaves you to it. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmic Trigger Blew My Mind 23 Times, 5 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
This is a fantastic diatribe into the unknown! I first read this book almost 20 years ago and have gone through it 23 times since. Wilson was an editor at Playboy years back and has lived in Dublin. He is extremely intelligent and witty, but he can scare the bejesus out of you!
Just keep an eye out for how many times you run across the number 23 (it is the most frequent number that comes up in lotteries, for one thing). It will astound you. He is correct about "the web" and how we are never more removed than by a factor of five from all the people in the world. Yeah, it's freaky, but it stimulates the old brain cells. Order it today from Amazon because it is a good value and you will never regret it. Just don't get too freaked out like me and wind up taking Paxil to calm you down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book, 21 Aug. 2013
I first read this book in the 70s and have read it most years since. So much of it was way before it's time. I don't even mean it's all true. Only that it demanded that I think. The bit at the end about life extension bored me a bit but 90% of it is as relevent today as when it was written. This is my 9th or 10th copy. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT & PROVOCATIVE, 21 Feb. 2002
Peter Uys "Toypom" (Sandton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
So many threads come together in this well-written book that it's all a bit overwhelming at first. His style is witty, honest, compelling and addictive and subjects range from mysteries & magick to self-improvement and life extension. I enjoyed the many similarities in style & subject matter with some of my other favourite authors like Stuart Wilde, U. S. Andersen and Colin Wilson. It has also a kindled an interest in many other authors mentioned in the text, especially Timothy Leary who I thought was just a 60s cult figure but whose later work I will definitely investigate now. Cosmic Trigger I is definitely amongst my Top 10 books of all time. People who enjoyed this book will love Affirmations by Stuart Wilde, The Greatest Power In The Universe by U. S. Andersen and From Atlantis To The Sphinx by Colin Wilson.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate way to change your life... Forever!, 15 May 1996
By A Customer
"Cosmic Trigger" takes you where no man has been before.
Wilson carries the unsuspecting reader through a
maze of theories and experiences which will leave
you wondering for a long, long time. His engenious
style can scare the living daylights out of you at
one time, and leave you hollering from laughter
shortly after. A definate must-read for everyone
interested in changing their life, and, believe me,
Cosmic Trigger will!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1
Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1 by Robert Anton Wilson (Paperback - 1 May 1988)