5.0 out of 5 stars I was affected by this book., 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Stargazing Dog (Paperback)
This is a cartoon for teenagers and adults and the story is about a journey of an old man and a dog. When I read this book of a Japanese version a few years ago, I deeply moved by it because of the dog's faithfulness. I think that the author describes their feelings very lively in this book. You will be able to know the feelings that how much the dog loves the man, how much the man cherishes the dog as well. I highly recommend it for all people, especially a lot of dog lovers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead dog makes me sad., 26 Oct 2013
John Clayton III (Greystoke) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stargazing Dog (Paperback)
While not leaden with much in the way of setup or character arcs as it's just one man's life falling apart until he starves to death in a field, Stargazing Dog does what it does effectively.

And what it does is make grown men cry.

It does have one narrative trick up its sleeve in that it's essentially a juxtaposition between the dog not leaving the guy while everyone else does, but apart from that it's a pretty straightforward tale. It is possible that you may not be moved by the story of a small dog dying because it won't leave the corpse of his master out of a sense of loyalty and love, but that is because you are a Dexter-style monster who is only reading this because he is prowling the internet looking for a new victim. I would pity you if I wasn't so afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartfelt story, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Stargazing Dog (Paperback)
I basically brought this graphic novel due to the adorable dog on the cover and the intriguing blur on the back and I was glad I did.

The story is told masterfully, the blur does a great job of summarising it, and the art style compliments it, capturing the moods and scenes. The dog "Happi" is incredibly cute both in appearance and personality.

Without going into too much details, it is about a family man, whose life slowly begins to "fall apart". The only constant through the story is the love and companionship of his dog. The story was heartfelt and moving and I would definitely recommend it.

The moral to me seems to be no matter what life throws at you...as long as you have one person by your side, you can be happy.

Stargazing Dog
Stargazing Dog by Takashi Murakami (Paperback - 24 Nov 2011)
7.84