Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 June 2006
This is a really useful source for everyone who likes dressmaking and wants to know about the behaviour of different fabrics as well as how to treat them when sewing. You get advise as to how to stop fraying, what sewing machine feet to use and which seams are appropriate. However this is NOT an extention to 'fabric savvy', so if you've got that one already don't be like me and buy this one too. It only has a couple more fabrics than fabric savvy and repeats the rest, which is really annoying. I am going to give the earlier edition to a friend and will keep 'More fabric savvy' for me.
on 8 May 2009
This book was purchased because of the other good reviews. Initially it seemed like a very helpful book, although the made up garments were not to my taste. After reading through the book it became obvious that the author has a dislike of modern man made fabrics. If the variations of woollen and silk fabrics were removed from the book there wouldn't be many pages left.

I won't be keeping this book, I'm buying the one I should have bought in the first place, Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide.
on 10 June 2011
This book has been extremely helpful when using most types of fabric. It instructs on layout,cutting, handling, washability, type of stitch and needle to use, how to mark, type of facing to use and much more including a helpful tip on each page. I am a confident sewer but need help on the behaviour of fabrics I have never used before and it is in this area that I find this book most useful. The ring binding makes it easy to lay flat and read.
on 26 March 2009
If you are a sewing enthusiast and you intend on sewing with different fabrics and are unsure of what foot, needle or what seam finishes to use this book is definitely for you. Along with my reader's digest sewing book this is the main staple to my sewing library. The only thing I have negative to say is that I wish the fabrics mentioned had actual swatches.
on 27 August 2010
This book is a brilliant source of information about fabric. It explains which feet to use, how to wash it, sew it etc. I highly recommend this book to be very useful in your sewing collect.
on 12 July 2014
Great book that provides loads of insight into all the different types of fabric. Would be great to have had it pocket size to take around the fabric shops with you but this way it has loads of info.
on 10 February 2014
Very pleased to receive extra copies of this book which is already a firm favourite - bought for friends and they are delighted.
on 10 May 2016
This book was recommended by a sewing tutor and have proved very useful for identifying fabrics.