Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 August 2002
I bought this book because I needed to learn how to make commercial patterns fit better. After just browsing through it I learned that I had sloping sholders and how to correct for this. The book explains how to take your own measurements and which ones to take, and then gives guidance for using these to adjust patterns from a number of major pattern manufacturers.
The book is then laid out so that you can search for particular components of a garment and specific problems with that component. Sandra explains how to tell if you have a problem, and what the problem is, and then how to modify the pattern to correct it. The instructions are given in a clear step by step format, with pictures. She also explains other parts of the pattern which must be modified as well (not always easy for a beginner to work out).
The book also covers how to make a fitting shell and how to use it, and how to make and use a toile (which she calls a "pretest" garment.
I think this book will be an invaluable and often-used reference on my shelf.
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2004
I can't imagine any figure types that have been left out! Well illustrated, with clear concise instructions. Takes virtually no brain power to follow the instructions - which is just the way I like it!!
on 3 March 2009
I'm a professional corsetiere and pattern maker and needed tips on fitting trousers (baggy smile lines at the front) and a really difficult 'shoulder rotation' client problem. I got this and copies of Pants for Real People: Fit and Sew for Any Body by Pati Palmer and Marta Alto and Fit for Real People: Sew Great Clothes Using ANY Pattern (Sewing for Real People) by Pati Palmer, Marta Alto, and Jeannette Schilling. The two other books have solved the problem first time, with brilliant photos and spotted the problem, first time bang on. However, Fast Fit offered incorrect fitting advice (slash and spread the front crotch seam, instead of the correct add height to the front middle crotch seam), with not enough detail and only the most basic of fitting problems covered by line drawings. As a result I have returned my copy and I would urge you to invest the the two books from Palmer Pletch that I have mentioned above. They are so good I've since bought their Couture Sewing, and Bridal Couture books, both of which are brilliant. In short do not buy this book, Pants/Fit for Real People will be of much more use.
on 6 March 2008
This book is fantastic to help solve all your fitting problems if you are not the perfect text book proportions. I discovered so many new things about why my clothes do not fit properly as she explains every type of problem and what it does to the look of the fit ie. uneven shoulders, narrow shoulders,twisted sleeves, flat seat, large bust, flat bust etc.etc. and she then tells you exactly how to alter a bought pattern for a perfect fit. Absolutely brilliant, a must-have for any dressmaker.
on 19 August 2003
I found the authour of this book a little too pleased with herself. However, if you can reach beyond that and be absolutely honest about your shape, then this book is really helpful. It requires a lot of work for you as a home sewer, but I believe that it is worth it for cost reduction on clothing in the end. I found that it is also helpful for altering store-bought clothes.
on 11 July 2011
Be warned - I would liken this book to a medical encyclopaedia - the more you read the more problems you may find/imagine that are 'wrong' with your body! I say this just to suggest you question whether you really need this much information on one aspect of sewing. Joking aside, this book offers a great, comprehensive fitting system and I can imagine it being extremely useful for anyone such as a dressmaker or sewing teacher. But if you just sew for yourself, why not borrow it from a library to see if you like the style and assess if it is worth buying. Many general dressmaking books have good sections on choosing and altering patterns to make better fitting garments. The Vogue Sewing Book is one. Lynn MacIntyre and Marcy Tilton's Easy Guide to Sewing covers much of the same ground but within the whole context of design and fabric choice and improving your garment making, and is particularly good for trousers, which can cause a lot of fitting difficulties.
on 26 March 2009
I bought this book as I always have to adjust commercial patterns. This book is excellent if you are new to sewing or would like to increase your knowledge of adjusting certain problem areas. It shows you how to take accurate body measurements. As my teacher says "measure twice, cut once!". It also tells you what the ease allowance should be on certain garments. I found this book extremely useful. If I could create patterns from scratch I guess this book would not be as useful but if you are like me and you are new or learning about sewing then it's worth buying.
on 20 April 2009
Delighted with this book. I found the detailed explanations of how to alter patterns easy to follow and have successfully altered commercial patterns using Sandra's methods. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone having difficulty making commercial patterns fit.
on 23 May 2010
I bought this book as a birthday present for my wife. She has been making clothes for herself and our 'children' when there were kids for more than 40 years; this is the BEST book on the subject she has encountered. It falls into the category of a reference work written in a refreshingly helpful and practical way. She is delighted with it.
on 21 June 2014
I sew quite well but garments I make needed adjustments to make them fit better hence look better, did not know how to do that. This book reveal the secret of fittings that produced perfect garments. I am going through the book slowly as I feel it's a great book. Well worth the price, as I will be using it for years.