5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive explanations and advice for making linings
Published on 25 Aug 2004 by Wildpurl

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read
With reference books for sewing I like lots of illustrations, and in this area, this book is lacking. You have to read, and concentrate on what you're reading. Alas, its not something that I can just flick through quickly to refresh my memory when working on a lined project, which is what i was hoping for.
Published on 22 April 2004 by Mrs L B Cleaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive explanations and advice for making linings, 25 Aug 2004
This review is from: Easy Guide to Sewing Linings (Sewing Companion Library) (Paperback)
I prefer to line most garments I make even if the pattern does not provide guidance for this, so I have been working out for myself how to line skirts and dresses for a few years and noted one or two problem areas. This book explains exactly how to deal with the problems I have encountered, as it gives adjustments for making lining patterns from any garment pattern, and information about how to attach and neaten the linings.
There are lots of diagrams and photographs and the explanations are clear and easy to follow. The book is divided into different types of garment (skirt, trousers, dresses, blouses etc)and gives options for different approaches to lining each, with advice on how to choose.

5.0 out of 5 stars The full low down, 3 Feb 2004
By A Customer
really good book full of clear, easy to follow explanations. Good for those new to linings and to experienced sewers. The pictures are detailed enough for you to see what the text means . Great reference book - I'd strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, 27 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I took a linings class with Connie Long at G Street Fabrics and bought this book as a back-up to keep my memory fresh. It contains everything in her class and more, with concise directions and excellent photos. Long is my favorite teacher at G Street and she's probably one of the best sewing teachers anywhere. The ideas she presents in this book, from making your own lining to lining dresses, pants and coats, will really improve your sewing. She teaches you how to bag a lining - don't be afraid to try it. It really works and the results are fantastic. She covers zippers, bindings, seam finishes, just about everything you can do to give your garment that professionally finished look. If you've ever been confused about when to line or what to use, or just wanted to do a better job, this book is the best. An added treat, you'll get to see some of Long's own creations which she uses to illustrate techniques. Her students are always awe-struck by the outstanding quality of her work. If I could sew half as well, I'd never buy another thing from a department store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read, 22 April 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 19 Mar 2006
I like sewing but I am not a qualified seamstress. So when I bought this book, I found it was easy to follow, good illustrations & lots of interesting information. I have made quite a few pieces of clothing & the outcome looked quite professional - with the help of this book. This is one to keep!

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 12 May 2007
L. Ladenheim - See all my reviews
I purchased this book after reading the enthusiastic reviews and was very excited to get the book.

However I was very disappointed to find that there were no step by step pictures that illustrate how to assemble the lining. If I had known it would be like this I would have settled for the two page instructions (that include pictures) in the "complete photo guide to sewing" that I own. It amazes me to find that a book which is completely devoted to a specific subject -Lining - would not supply the reader with guiding photos.

The book does give good instructions as for making the lining pattern-which will be the only use of it as far as I am concerned.

This book might be appropriate for anyone who knows how to assemble lining but needs to jog his memory regarding some details, but certainly not for a first timer!

And I thought I was going to line my new jacket today.......

Easy Guide to Sewing Linings (Sewing Companion Library)
Easy Guide to Sewing Linings (Sewing Companion Library) by Connie Long (Paperback - 31 Dec 1998)
Used & New from: 42.49