5.0 out of 5 stars Practical advise for the non art trained
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by D72

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
Good help, but I do not have half the colours mentioned. Perhaps I'll take a trip to the US to get them!
Published 18 months ago by K. Wigley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical advise for the non art trained, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Color Mixing Recipes for Portraits: More Than 500 Color Combinations for Skin, Eyes, Lips & Hair (Color Mixing Recipes) (Spiral-bound)
Finaly an 'Art practical' book that delivers what it says in the title. Having tried to paint portraits and figures for a while and not been satisfied with the results (particularly the colours of skin)I went searching for practical advice. Most of the books I looked at were short on practcal help of the type I needed, i.e. mix this with that to get this colour. I got exactly that. If you want techniques its not for you, but if you want to know how to mix the different shades needed for skin tones, hair and eyes its perfect. With mixes for oil, acrylic and watercolour and many different skin tones and in a spiral flat fold out format it sits next to me when I paint as a constant reference. As a result if anyone does a new print more waterproof pages would help,but that said my copy survived an upset water pot after a bit of TLC. In short one of the most used books I've purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour mixing simplified., 27 Jan 2011
A very worthwhile reference manual. Very impressed with its layout and simplicity. Certainly one to have by your side whilst working on you latest portrait.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book on Color , simple, easy.clear!, 3 Jan 2009
Jennifer B. Sykes (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I have purchased many books on color. It was not until I bought this book that my life and my paintings became easy! The book is written in a simple, easy to understand way and comes with a clear plastic insert for measuring out portions when mixing color. My was accidentally drenched in turpentine and it was then that I realized an additional bonus. The book is covered with a clear protective film that protected it. I would have bought another copy, but luckily, I didn't have to. Excellent book on color !

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 12 Feb 2013
K. Wigley - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour Mixing Recipes, 9 Mar 2011
This is a very useful book for any Artist who wants to paint portraits. it is very clearly set out and easy to use. it was despatched very quickly and reasonably priced. i can definitely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but very short on skin identifying advice., 11 Jan 2011
Good book. Very slim volume with practical advice. Not much in the way of identifying skin types. Just shows how to mix the paint. A large omission in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, practical and down to earth book but...., 21 Aug 2014
Some colours for the mixes are impossible to find in the UK! One wonders if they even exist: if anyone can find a manufacturer of Phthalo Red, please get in touch! Cadmium Vermilion is another example. And that is after looking for paints for one specific painting where a dark-blond woman is featured. Now, this may sound like I petty and if a particular paint showed in the book is not avaliable (anymore?) I should look for a replacement. Fair enough but if I wanted to experiment I'd not have bought the book in the first place.
I am scared to think what happens when I seek colours for a completely different person.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 23 Aug 2012
AJ Loader (UK) - See all my reviews
The mixing system that is the basis of this book is over-complicated, unintuitive and difficult to understand. I gave up after an hour plus. The explanatory text is too long-winded, vague and inconcise.

Secondly, many of the paint colours in the recipes may be in common use in America, but not here in the UK i.e. they are not W&N or Daler colours e.g. Cadmium vermillion red, phthalo red, cadmium yellow medium, cadmium red light.

I would have given no stars if I could have. A waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars exellent has made life much simpler, 2 Jun 2010
If you are a beginner or you have been doing art for a long time this book is a great help- it is easy to understand always a bonus-would recommend to all

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference., 3 July 2014
Super helpful and easy to use. A great starting point for any aspiring portrait artist.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›