4.0 out of 5 stars Can it be? An interesting autobiography?
Published on 27 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Poetic
Published 21 months ago by Banshee

4.0 out of 5 stars Can it be? An interesting autobiography?, 27 Mar 2000
By A Customer
It is probably best to begin by making the obvious and inevitable comparison with "My Left Foot". While it is clear that MLF is (perhaps somewhat patronizingly) credited with being a personal achievement for its author, Under The Eye Of The Clock also manages to be an achievement in literary terms. Nolan's immense talent for metaphor and expression make the book a pleasure to read, and his story is lively, engaging and revealing. His eloquence does get the better of him on occassions and he emerges with the most obtuse and bizarre phrases, the meaning of which we can only guess. However, the humour, pathos, and drama (!) with which he depicts his life, is joyous to behold. This book will make you reassess your prejudices and feelings towards others, and this cannot be said of many books, especially not autobiographies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prose by a Poet, words as you've never dreamt they could be, 16 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This is the greatest single piece of writing that I know of. With the heart of a poet, he writes his life story as a severly disabled young boy. You get a view of the handicapped as you will find nowhere else. He gives voice to millions without ever asking for pity. Like poetry you must let the words land on you without literal meaning, but trust the music of his words. Though you will often find it hard to "follow" in a linear way, you will be treated to a world of breathtaking verbal juxtaposition the likes of which you may never experience again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book leaves an impact years after reading it., 21 Nov 1999
Don't be put off by the subject matter, it's not one big downer about being disabled. Because the writer is disabled he choses his words with care, this gives a quality feel to the writing that makes me appreciate the craft of words without being precious & I am certainly not a literate person. A short book to read but a little gem. Be prepared to do it in 1 sitting. It has more humour in it than My Left Foot so trust the writer & go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, joyous,extraordinary, 14 Mar 2009
Under the Eye of the Clock is the largely autobiographical novel by Christopher Nolan, a young Irish man with severe cerebral palsy.

Written when he was only 17, I cannot decide whether it is his acute observations of people that are the most impressive, or the amazing flow of language. This book is beautifully written. The stream of words, images and neologisms are brilliant in their own right. The fact the author has little or no speech points this up even more.

All the things a great book should be: fascinating, insightful, funny and poignant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under the eye of the Clock, 1 May 2014
This book has been purchased for a friend as I bought a copy of it many years ago. It was the 1st book I had read by this author & it was Such a beautiful read that you will not want to keep the book forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Facinating, 28 Dec 2013
Liz Taylor (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I didn't know what to think when I started this book. It had been recommend by a friend. However, I was soon enveloped in Joseph's world and started to understand the immense effort it took for him to be accepted by the "normal" world. I hope that I will never again look with pity on a disabled person but treat them with the same respect and friendliness that I would show to anyone I would meet. Christopher Nolan, the author, has told his story with fun, fear and shear bloody-minded determination that many of us could well do with emanating.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply beautiful, 16 April 2013
One of the most beautiful and inspirational books I have ever read. Had me in fits of laughter and tears at various times, and ultimately a fantastic read about the good side of humanity. Have nothing but admiration for Christopher and his wonderful family

3.0 out of 5 stars Poetic, 6 Feb 2013
I'd never read any Christopher Nolan before and my life experience would be fairly similar to his, I believe, so I was interested. However, from what I've read so far (I haven't finished, but I will), his experiences sound fairly humdrum and are just told in a poetic way (I don't know, but I'd imagine Gerard Manley Hopkins might be a big influence). I don't understand how it won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award - but then, as I say, I haven't finished yet. It may surprise me . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Dec 2012
This is an amazing book, by a language phenomenon, who gives the reader a glimpse of what it means to be unable to speak whilst having a brain and a soul full of all the normal thoughts, ideas, intelligence, love and consideration. It is also a testimony to the almost superhuman care given to him by his parents and sister.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug 2014
Wonderful book, sensitive and full of compassion and love. I bought this copy for a friend.

Under the Eye of the Clock: A Memoir
Under the Eye of the Clock: A Memoir by Christopher Nolan (Paperback - Mar 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01