on 24 November 2011
I think this lady is wonderful and a terrific actress, so as soon as we spot one of her films on tv we record it.

Loved the book; story of her life and shows how hard she has worked to entertain people. Such a pretty lady too who can drive us nuts when we watch her in Everybody loves Raymond...she is the mother and mother-in-law from hell and she does all the cooking for the show as she loves to cook too. Buy the book for your mum, aunt, mother-in-law or sister.

Doris won't be with us forever; only on film.
on 31 August 2009
Having been an Everybody Loves Raymond fan for a long time I have become somewhat attached to all of the characters and decided to look a little more closely at them. Doris Roberts plays the overbearing mother of Raymond and the matriach from hell to his wife Debra. I just loved all that Doris Roberts brought to this part and found this book to itemise her very colourful life treading the boards a real eye opener. There is so much more depth to this woman than one sit-com can tell, read and behold.
on 19 April 2013
A very enjoyable read, with many interesting anecdotes and words of wisdom from this lovely lady! Would definitely recommend it.
on 30 April 2016
I bought this book a few months ago (along with a "Raymond" complete box set) but initially put it to one side for a rainy day. Her recent death prompted me to dig it out early, however. Hmmm. Not really impressed, I have to say!

Whilst she tried to come across as down-to-earth and straight-talking, with pearls of wisdom rolling off her tongue, she ends up as being one the worst "luvvy" types I've ever come across! She not only talks about her own "work" as if it's her gift to us all, she does the same about her writer-husband. Talk about "double troubled artist" syndrome! Oh dear, not the success they thought they deserved with this and with that? Couldn't possibly be because there was someone better at that point in time, could it? (Mind you, whoever they lost out to was probably equally as struck up on "their art"!)

You know a biography's going to be hard work when they mention "my FIRST analyst". (Why do so many arty people need a shrink just to get through life?!?!)

She also came across as a bit of a snob at times, which I wasn't expecting. One thing that makes the book slightly different from others is that she fancies herself as a bit of a chef! She inserts (often through very tenuous connections) her own recipes. Now I'm not a gourmet, but some of them were just "common sense" and didn't have anything particularly special (in ingredients nor preparation) from what everyone else does for that dish, as far as I could see.

In the end, I asked myself what I had really been expecting. Certainly, I had laughed at Marie Barone hundreds of times, but that wasn't to do with her performance. It wasn't "fantastic acting" that made me guffaw - and that's not to say she was particularly bad or anything either - it was the script itself. So really, my praise had been misdirected all along!