Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2009
I have read all of Pearl Bucks books now and I will read them all again. I lived in China for a couple of years and could not understand why they did some of the things that they did - then I started to read Pearl Buck's books and a light switch came on. Pearl Buck grew up in China and this really comes through in the stories she tells - she has a great understanding of Chinese culture - but she focuses on the women and she does it well. This particular book is about Madame Liang whose husband takes on a Concubine. She decides to pursue her own life. The story is about the challenges faced by her and her 3 daughters as modern, intelligent and enterprising women during the Cultural Revolution. It is gentle and enlightening!
on 26 October 2010
This is one of the books on 'Old China' written by Pearl S. Buck. Having read the 'Good Earth' trilogy I became hooked on these books, which put you right in the heart of the struggles of the ordinary Chinese people. I like the form in which they are written, as though spoken with a Chinese accent I hope to read all her books they are so good. I wish I'd known about them years ago.
on 18 November 2010
If you enjoy Chinese historical fiction this is a must read.It gives an insight into a time when China was very isolated from and unknown to the rest of the world. It gives us an awareness of how different Chinese people felt about the West and what was happening in their own country and the fear that they had about speaking up.
on 26 December 2013
I HAVE LOVED ANY BOOK BY PEARL S BUCK THAT I HAVE READ. I DIDN'T EXPECT TO ENJOY THIS ONE AS MUCH AS I AM NOT SO INTERESTED IN MODERN CHINA. BUT IT WAS WONDERFUL. I WILL NOW READ ALL THE REST OF HER BOOKS. WHAT A TERRIFIC WRITER.
on 22 July 2013
A beautifully written book - I am so glad this author is now back in print and I intend to read a lot more by her.
on 17 September 2013
As I said before she mixes two cultures and arrives at a classic novel. Shame that she is no more.
on 14 May 2015